AKC Field trial dates ?

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Stephen Dunn

AKC Field trial dates ?

Post by Stephen Dunn »

Hey folks! I am wanting to run some AKC hunts in SPO. I am having trouble in finding a schedule for upcoming hunts. I have been running NKC P. P. and still will, I just have 3 dogs I want to put in AKC and try to finish. I have run NKC hard and want to try AKC next year. I run medium fast dogs that hunt a check inside out. They are not slow and can fly when the conditions allow. What type of format should I run. I have heard SPO. Is that right? Thanks for any input.
Stephen Dunn

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

How your dogs do in AKC trials will likely be determined by geography. In some associations you will not place anything but walkie-talkies. In others, your dog will have to be fast and rough to compete. Judges are not supposed to judge by speed of the hounds but in reality, that is the single biggest determining factor in how your dogs will do. The SPO guys generally call my hounds fast and rough but the Large Pack guys call them slow or medium. All a matter of what you're used to.

Stephen Dunn

Post by Stephen Dunn »

Steve, thanks for that info. What format does your dogs do good in? I think I may have what you are describing in your hounds. They are not rough, however they have a lot of foot. That said the walkie talkies are OUT! The rough part is out. So where do I start? Any clubs in the southern to midwest that you know of? Thanks again for the help.
Stephen

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

I run mostly Large Pack on Hare but a few SPO Hare trials as well in New England. The Midwest SPO hounds tend to be very fast and run mostly the same bloodlines we run on hare but with more of the Branko line than you'd see in New England. Some other associations in the midwestern states run a slower hound like the UBGF. I'm afraid I never run out that way but there must be someone more familiar with your neck of the woods to help out. I know nothing about the NKC trials.

Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

What about the dates for spo trials. wher do you dates for akc spo trials.I live in cental Al.
Northstar Kennel

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Bill, you might try southern large pack trials (LA, MS) or come up to Kentucky for the Mid-West SPO trials. They run a footier hound. Here's the link to their website - you'll find the upcoming hunts there.

http://www.mid-west-gundog.com/

Central KY is having a 3-day trial this weekend, Dec. 5,6,7
Big and Little Bitches on Fri., Big Dogs on Sat, and Little Dogs on Sun.
Hope this helps!

Jamie Rice

Post by Jamie Rice »

Stephen,

Here's another site you can check out...

http://www.akc.org/dic/events/search/index.cfm

In the Event Name blank just type Beagle Club
In Time Range scroll down to From Today Foward(Future)
In Competition Type scroll down to Field Trials
In State, scroll down to an individual state or just select all states.

This should give you a list of all upcoming AKC trials around you. This site doesn't just let you select a specific format. Therefore you'll have to click on the individual results(Club Names) to find out what the format is. If I can be of any further help to you, feel free to email me. My best advice is try a few different assocations to see where your hounds fit in best. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Last edited by Jamie Rice on Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie D. Rice
FUZZ'S BEAGLES
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me." - Philippians 4:13 KJV

buckridge

Upcoming AKC trial ( Dec 13 and 14)

Post by buckridge »

Mid Indiana. Lic trial this coming weekend (Dec 13 and 14)
Call me for directions if interested.
Jim
317-887-6773 after 6 PM
Jim Bucksot
Buckridge Kennel
Greenwood In.