About the measuring in arha

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Re: About the measuring in arha

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

Mark H wrote: I think akc midwest is on the rite track but i have yet to see any kind of points system and its just what ever the judge likes
I dont agree, AKC has a rule book with rules just like all the other registries out there and its not all about what a judge likes anymore than it is in any other registry. They all leave room for a judge to make a judgment call such as what is too far out of the check area, what is to rough, ect. You surely dont need a points system to tell you which dog is the best dog do you???????
Crane Creek Kennels

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

what is the size of a check area ?
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

warddog

Post by warddog »

As most know on here I have never trialed beagles but I would think that in any trial the dogs must be judged using a set of objective rules that award points for good attributes and take away points for the bad. Minus any specific objectives then the entire thing is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Of course there are always decisions that must be made that may very among those within an entire cast and that is when the subject judge would rule but overall the dogs should be graded upon a set of specifics and not on what a judge may or may not personally like. I quit competition coon hunting as even though there was a set of objectives for the grading of the hounds such as strike and tree there was always subjects who thought their dog sounded just like everyone elses or not depending on how it fit the score card at the time. The grading objectives were prety clear cut in that the dogs had to hunt, strike (open), keep the track moving without shutting up for a specific time and end the track at a point of refuge preferably a tree where the coon could be seen for plus points and anything other than that was circle or minus. Sure never had to run after the dogs to see what was doing what as the end objective was for the hounds to track that coon to the tree so it could be harvested. In a nite hunt plus points meant the game was harvested. ;)

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

I probly should have not made the comment about midwest since i have only been to a couple of hunts and was getting my info seconed hand but i still believe they are on the right track as far as rewarding a true rabbit dog.But its whatever a guy enjoys i try not to take it to serious anymore
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

dogwhisperer

Post by dogwhisperer »

Mark H wrote:There are good points and bad points in all formats one of the problems i see in pkc is it is possible to reward the wrong dog.Let me clarify say the handlers mark a line and there a few break downs before they reach that point and the same dog kept the rabbit going and then all of the sudden some dog that has done nothing to contribute to the whole race jumps up front and crosses your line first and he gets the 100 pts like i said there is good and bad in all formats.I think akc midwest is on the rite track but i have yet to see any kind of points system and its just what ever the judge likes
Iif the dog doesn't run atleast 50% of the track he doesn't score on speed and drive
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

you know for the past several years there's been alot of talk about to tall of hounds running in littlepack. every year there's been talk about doing something about it well...........now looks like someone is trying to do something about it. it wouldn't take care of itself, everyone that ran big hounds never stopped they just keep bring'em and breeding'em. heck some of the eboard members are some of the worst. no one every had there dogs measured. i know i've been in several cast that my fourteen and three quarter hound was towered over and i never had one measured so i don't know if its about time or if its for the eight dollars. this height thing has been out of hand for along time. i've ran in pp & akc don't really like the opinion of the judges, there foremat has good and bad in my opinion which that and a nickel wouldn't get you a hot pepsi. i like the idea of getting the size of hound where it's suppose to be. i don't like the ideal of paying to have my dog measured. one of the really great things about the ole u s of a is i have the right to just be a rabbit hunter and the heck with the foremat. its fun to go with a few buddies and just hunt, and there's still bragging rights to be had. its all about the fun. for the guys that are so serious that they have to bring big hounds to have an edge there's always pkc i would think the serious hunter would want to do it for money.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Deron House wrote:I've been following this post from the start and can't under stand why more of you haven't crossed over to PKC, this is a great format and organation to be involved with.
The hunts are cut and dry the best dog that day will win and youre not sitting around waiting and hoping you get to go out the next round, if you win your cast you go agian and all of the cast members are involved in the judging. There isn't any dought what happened or who won the dog that can search strike and run and cross the marked line will win... and win CASH not a dust collector.

last but not least PKC wants you to have as many hunts as you want and the paper work side is easy no big fees and they are there to help if you need them, so give it a try and you'll be hooked.
Problem I see with PKC is that a club just can't make enough money to pay the bills. Here in Virginia you must have a hunt permit. That cost $25. The Club house use cost us $25. We must be insured, that is over $300 a year. Land leasing is another club expense. These expenses do not include a penny going to PKC. There is no way a club could stay open with 12 or 14 dogs showing up to a hunt. Maybe if there were 30 dogs or more a club could keep going, but not enough dogs out there to keep a club up.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

yes r club house cost alot every time we have a hunt and the insurance isnt cheap
i know of a club close by that there biggest hunt has been 8 dogs how long do ya think that would keep doors open
i like pkc but one guy said befor they will cheat ya for a 5 dollar plastic dust collector what will happen for cash
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

JCM

Post by JCM »

tinymwoods wrote:
Deron House wrote:I've been following this post from the start and can't under stand why more of you haven't crossed over to PKC, this is a great format and organation to be involved with.
The hunts are cut and dry the best dog that day will win and youre not sitting around waiting and hoping you get to go out the next round, if you win your cast you go agian and all of the cast members are involved in the judging. There isn't any dought what happened or who won the dog that can search strike and run and cross the marked line will win... and win CASH not a dust collector.

last but not least PKC wants you to have as many hunts as you want and the paper work side is easy no big fees and they are there to help if you need them, so give it a try and you'll be hooked.
Problem I see with PKC is that a club just can't make enough money to pay the bills. Here in Virginia you must have a hunt permit. That cost $25. The Club house use cost us $25. We must be insured, that is over $300 a year. Land leasing is another club expense. These expenses do not include a penny going to PKC. There is no way a club could stay open with 12 or 14 dogs showing up to a hunt. Maybe if there were 30 dogs or more a club could keep going, but not enough dogs out there to keep a club up.

This is a great point. ARHA seems like they could care less about individuals or clubs. It's hard to say PKC is much better when clubs don't even make enough at a hunt to keep their club going. When clubs have to hold UKC & ARHA events to stay open and hold PKC Hunts, I have trouble believing PKC is any better than the other organizations

At PKC events clubs make $5/dog. We pay $2/dog for the clubhouse. I don't see how you can keep a club going on $3/dog.

Until PKC sets up a system where clubs can make enough to stay open their growth will be limited. Why would clubs switch to an organization that would eventually cause their club to go broke?

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

you all seem to forget arha has not always drawed the dogs they have now. you must start somewhere and conversation is a good start. Look i am a big arha man but i am not going to stand by and watch something i love die. No judges in arha and the ones that r worth a crap are old wheres the youth. At least in PKC evryone can judge including the old and experienced. The money part of that is a small problem that i believe can be fixed with all of us putting r heads together and figuring this thing out. Jim u called the other day and we had good conversation. We need to get with the PKC reps and have a serios meeting about how clubs can survive and then PKC will grow fast. But it has to be by committe. So lets figure this out not try and shut it down and i will be the first to contact the right people. keep the door open and we can make this thing go and i agree we need to figure out how a man can bring more then 1 dog to a hunt and then clubs could survive.

square E beagles

Post by square E beagles »

Sorry guys and gals didnt mean to raise stink ! thought i would say what i thought an ask a few ? but every one to there own not sayin your format is better or worse than mine but that is why we all have are own way of thinking . Thinks for all the info but it is way over my head now think i mite just try them all an be my own judge! THANKS AGAIN AN GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE :D