Dormant Shrub Projects

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Dormant Shrub Projects

Post by rabbitatfarm »

The next few weeks are a good time to cut back the shrubs/trees that will regenerate. I have some large sumac that needs to be cut. I tried it last year and had an excellent explosion of new growth. Sumac, in addition to providing cover, is one of our most-used winter foods. Gray dogwood is another shrub that will regenerate. It's not as fast as sumac or aspen but thickets will expand. Consumers Power mows under their high-tension lines every five years or so. Every time they mow, the thickets expand. It's a good time to hinge-cut trees as well. By leaving a portion of the tree attached, it will continue to grow for a few years providing cover and browse. We spooked two deer out of some of my hinge cutting a couple of days ago. The cover should also be used by nesting hen turkeys and songbirds. Cutting next year's firewood along an edge generates berry canes and other native plants. Cutting aspen generates hundreds of new sprouts in the spring. I plan to try transplanting some of the sumac and crab apple sprouts to new areas. Building/improving brush piles is always in season.

I have a lot of autumn olive. I cut some for regeneration for cover and browse and some I cut to kill. Tordon RU works well on the cut stump. The largest a/o make instant brush piles either where they fall or towed to a new location. I like to hunt/run dogs too, but now is a good time to look over your rabbitat and make improvements. A few hours spent now will pay big dividends in the years to come.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

BrownBear

Re: Dormant Shrub Projects

Post by BrownBear »

How do you apply the Tordon and at what rate? Do you think it will kill Sugar Maple stumps?

rabbitatfarm

Re: Dormant Shrub Projects

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Brownbear;

Tordon RTU will work, but you may get some sprouting. Garlon 3 or 4 or Chopper works better. For the cut stump you only need to treat the outer inch or two--that's the only living part. Just squirt/spray it on. Needs to be done within 20 minutes of cutting. For standing trees, I've had good luck making a few axe marks at about a 45-degree angle and swirting Round up i.e, glysophate into the gashes.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red