Sighting in a Comanche

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Sighting in a Comanche

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Friend has a new .410 Comanche pistol. He says it shoots about two feet high at five yards. Does he raise or lower the rear sight? I always thought you adjusted the rear sight the opposite of where you want to move the point of impact.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Rcoff

Re: Sighting in a Comanche

Post by Rcoff »

Lower rear sight will lower where you hit your target. Think about it; if raise back sight, you also have to raise the end of the gun barrel to compensate, so to shoot lower, lower rear sight.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Bevel Down

Post by Bevel Down »

Hello,
Okay, 5 yards is 15 feet.
Now, my math isn't too good but here goes...
According to my construction calculator we have a run of 15 feet & a rise of 2 feet. That means a pitch of 7.59 degrees. (the rise of the axis of the barrel above horizontal?)
The diagonal is 15 feet 1 9/16 inches. Now here is where my math is failing me. Does this mean the rear sight would have to be lowered 1 9/16 inches!? Alternately raise the front sight the 1 9/16 inches? Or does the sight radius come into play to alter this figure?
All Tom Foolery aside.
The thing is, a point of impact 2 feet high at that range... something is drastically wrong here. Bent barrel?

Bevel Down

Post by Bevel Down »

Just remembered, I have a .410 pump shotgun that didn't/doesn't like Winchester shells.
As an aside, this was back when .410's were loaded with 3/4 ounce of shot & fiber wads.
Anyway, Remingtons shot to point of aim while the Winchesters impacted some 5 to 6 inches low at 20 some yards.
Still, 2 feet at 5 yards -- I don't know as if I would point any fingers at whatever ammo was used?
But who knows... just out of curosity I might try different ammo just to see.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I have a Thompson center 410, 16 inch barrel, And the only pattern and range I can get comes from Federal Shells 3 inch with no. 5 shot. Tried Remington and Winchester with no matching results. GOD BLESS

big matt t

Post by big matt t »

My camanche seems to b better at like 25-35 yds up close it shoots bout 3ft high!!