Steel Shot

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kbbgood

Steel Shot

Post by kbbgood »

Hunting here in Missouri I believe we are having to use steel shot on public land and I have never used it before. So I need to know about my guns and steel shot. I have an 870 LW20 mag. Modified barrel. Will this Winchester expert steel hurt my barrel? I can't get a new barrel if it does. Remington don't make them anymore. Gunsmith says barrel is to thin to thread for choke tubes. Next I have an 1100 LT20 with choke tubes not so worried about if I get the right tubes. Same thing with my Browning Citori White Lighting in 20 ga. Just need the right tubes. So who makes a good tube for them?

gunho

Re: Steel Shot

Post by gunho »

hello, i got my lw 20 out and took some measurement for you,if i take tube out barrle is .075 i.d. the thickness of the barrle wall is about .020 not going to say your smith is wrong but i have two of they both have chokes made by ( Carlson's )been in gun for years and i use them for dove,rabbit,coyote.i shoot 00 buck shot out of a imp. mod. Go to http://choketube.com/remington.html hope this helps

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

kbbgood wrote:Hunting here in Missouri I believe we are having to use steel shot on public land and I have never used it before. So I need to know about my guns and steel shot. I have an 870 LW20 mag. Modified barrel. Will this Winchester expert steel hurt my barrel? I can't get a new barrel if it does. Remington don't make them anymore. Gunsmith says barrel is to thin to thread for choke tubes. Next I have an 1100 LT20 with choke tubes not so worried about if I get the right tubes. Same thing with my Browning Citori White Lighting in 20 ga. Just need the right tubes. So who makes a good tube for them?
why are you using steel in missouri? thats only if that particular CA is calling for Steel shot only. is that the case? that would be at a CA that has alot of water.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

kbbgood

Post by kbbgood »

Close to Salem, Mo is a CA called Whiteriver Trace that is a quail reserve that can be hunted, as well as Indian trails CA. Both have to be non-toxic shot. Both are close to home for me.

lilpappy

Post by lilpappy »

Here in Michigan we have to use steel shot for waterfowl and I have an old 870 also. I use tungsten its expensive but it has not damaged my barrel

kbbgood

Post by kbbgood »

Joeyman, Your right, I was wrong. It is only in a waterfowl CA. I have been told wrong by agents in the area before about stuff. I guess they just don't want outsiders to hunt or fish in their areas. Was told they protect the locals.

But still looking for an answer about using steel shot in my 870 LW 20 Mag. Just can't mess up a good barrel if I don't have to.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

Don't know if this matters, but I shot a ton of steel shot through my Mossberg pump with 30" fixed full choke barrel, with no troubles. I shoots 3" remington sluggers 3" group at 80 yrds with a bead barrel. I think your fine.

sxs20

Post by sxs20 »

theres ppl that say they shoot it from the same gun with no problem.
if you want choke tubes briley has thin wall choke tubes they can install.
heres the addy http://www.briley.com/briley-shotguns.aspx
or you could have a poly choke installed.

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

kbbgood,if you go to MDC website,they list the CA's that are non-toxic shot only areas.I hunt a couple and use the #6 shot Win expert with no problems out of my Browning BPS uplander and my Rem 870 youth model.I use either a mod or improved cilinder choke and really can't tell the difference in the way the 2 shoot.To tell you the truth,I sometimes use that shell in areas I don't have to because I like the way it preforms.The steel shot doesn't seem to "ball up" the fur around the shot like lead does when it enters the rabbit.Try it,I think you'll like it.