Help & opions wanted ...

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Help & opions wanted ...

Post by LR Patch »

I just bought a Charles Daly youth Field 20 ga. It has a 22" barrel with screw in MOD. tube. My question is with this short barrel ,will it be as effective at ranges of shots I'm used to when I use my Wingmaster 28" barrel fixed MOD choke . I was thinking maybe an external choke tube in improved cyclinder.I know patterning the guns shot at a certin distance would tell me what I'm looking for , but I don't to buy 4 or 5 choke tubes that I don't need , unless I do truly need them. I got this gun so I could put my ole Wingmaster up as it was bought for me by my dad in 1971 & it's still in great shape and I'm not into taking a lot of rabbits anymore but still like carring a gun for when I do want to take 1 or 2. Maybe someone else has done the same and has worked out the shooting patterners and could steer me in the direction without all the cost of trail & error. Any thoughts out there ? Oh 1 other thing this gun will only be my rabbit gun so I'm not interested in bird chokes or other game. I put a sling on it & this little gun weighs just under 5 lbs and slung over my shoulder jsut barrly raises above my head , I really like it and is shoots exallent and used but in 98% new condition only cost $160.00 + shipping , found it on Acution Arms. I've found & bought several nice guns from these acutions on Gunbroker.com & Acution Arms.com
Also C/D LLC. are great folks to deal with , called them about getting sling mounts & choke tube wrench & owners manuals for it and they sent all them at no charge & I offerd to pay or atleast pay shipping & they said no and thanks , guns also have lifetime warranty , seem like nice little inexpensive shotguns.
Thanks in advance , Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

jt&z's dad

Re: Help & opions wanted ...

Post by jt&z's dad »

Jumpdog1 you shouldn't see much of a difference. The shorter barrel with the mod choke installed should give you the same pattern density as a 28" fixed. A lot of waterfowlers are switching over to shorter barrel lengths with new chokes. The only problem I have with a shorter barrel is the tendency to over lead on a fast moving target. Pattern the gun and you will be pleasently surprised...
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Thank you Sir for your opion. I plan on patterning this gun soon and shooting some clay targets thrown on the ground. After using the 870 Wingmaster for nearly 40 years I'll need some pratice getting used to this shortie ! I've only shoy it 3 time just to be sure it shot and this was yesterday while run'n some pups , as I said just to insure it fired & to introduce the pups to gun fire. It's a tight little gun & I belive I'll like it + saving the ole Wingmaster for memories of days spent with Dad & uncle following thier old rabbit dogs when the 870 was all most as tall as I was ;) man those were some good times. More thoughts from anyone ?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Your patterns will be approx. the same, the only big difference you will probably notice with the shorter barrel is that it won't feel the same when you swing on running shots. I like a short barrel on my shotuns, of course I shot all my rabbits last year with my BFR .410 revolver with a 7.5" barrel so I guess I'm a little biased :biggrin:

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Jumpdog1, I have one in 20 gauge just as you discribed. I don't shoot a lot of rabbits either but take a few each year for my pups. It has not failed me yet. In two years of use, I have yet to miss a rabbit. Again, I have only shot five rabbits with it. Like you, the short barrel, light weight, cost and warrenty makes this gun perfect for the rabbit hunter. JMO Good luck with yours.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

you wont have any problems shooting game with it... the only gun i take to the field is a remington lt-20 special field (french stock)with a 20in barrel... my hunting partner and i both carry them and i have watched him shoot rabbits at well over 40yards with his... in tight quarters it works great... especially on fast moving game... im sure that charles dailey is pretty much the same... you wont be disappointed at all..

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Thanks guys ,
Any more replies ?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Londer barrels are for feel, balance and sight plane. The chokes will control the pattern. If you reload and shoot slower burning powders you could possibly achieve a little more f.p.s. out of the longer barrels with magnum loads and 3.5" chambers.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Longer barrel helps on lead and follow through, the longer barrel allows time for powder burn and less distortion of shot(keeps round shot round). A harder shot will pattern better out of shorter barrel. The tricks we used at the shooting matches years ago were to lengthen the forcing cone of the barrel and port the barrel to relieve pressure at the muzzle so the shot wouldn't be flattened or distorted when it was forced through the choke, flattened shot don't fly and stay grouped well.

PS...Happy Birthday Randy...

Twin Bridge Kennels

Post by Twin Bridge Kennels »

A few years ago Winchester came out with a turkey gun with a 18" barrel I talked to a Winchester gunsmith and he said years ago shotguns needed the longer barrel for the powder to burn up but in this day and age new and improved powders burn up much quicker and is not a issue now. The main concern to get a good pattern is the forcing cone, back bore, choke, and porting. I think you will be fine just make sure you use a good shell in your gun.
Twin Bridge Kennels
Jackie Branstetter II