double gun shooters what chokes you use?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

double gun shooters what chokes you use?

Post by 870 »

Getting my first double gun this week. 20 guage CZ bobwhite (double triggers english grip) 26" barrel. Yeah i know I should buy some expensive spanish, italian , english, or used american sxs but i'm on a budget and want a warranty, spare the huglu bashing I heard it all before.

right now i'm thinking i'll go with cyl/imp cyl and 7/8 oz number 6.... I may miss out on some shots but will have the advantage on most. I jump shoot any i kick up if i can get a shot off which is only half the time at best. most dart behind a bush before i can get a shot off and i get the dog on them if she isn't already running one. when they circle i usualy have an idea where it will be and position myself within range of IC.

I am however considering that shots when they cross the road , or I send the dog into a gully and stand up top for a better view could call for modified but if i have to take a second shot at a close one its going to be blown to bits.

what do you all use when running your beagles ? I know most people tend to over choke and since i'm a new shooter and generaly bad shot I don't want to over choke.

S.R.Patch

Re: double gun shooters what chokes you use?

Post by S.R.Patch »

When I was a kid, I used 7 1/2 shot for everything but squirrel(6 shot high brass). Now I use IC on the Ithaca, & Mod on the Franchi, most the shells are 6 shot. So on a double, I'd probably have a Imp/mod, and put a #7 1/2 in the ImpCyl and a #6 in the Mod barrel, hows that for fancy... :lol: ;)

rabbitteer

Re: double gun shooters what chokes you use?

Post by rabbitteer »

I have been using an over/under for several years. In the early part of the season when there is more brush, I use a cylinder and an improved cylinder choke. With this combination I can take game as close as twenty five feet and as far away as 40 to 45 yards. Later in the year when there is less brush, or if you know the shots will at greater distances, I will use an improved cylinder and modified combination. With these two chokes you can shoot as close as 20 yards all the way out to 50 -55 yards and expect success without shooting it up too much, or crippling game because of too little shot in the pattern.

As far as shot, I have used #6 shot all my life for rabbits and pheasants and squirrels. If I know that I will be shooting through really heavy cover, I have used #4's on occassions. But in general #6's have always worked well for me.