Smith and Wesson 20 Ga. shotgun ?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

davidn

Smith and Wesson 20 Ga. shotgun ?

Post by davidn »

I want to know if anyone has any exprience with the smith and wesson shotguns.From what i have read about them they have have had some issues in the past.I am also looking for a good deal on a light 20 ga.shotgun like Franchi or possibly Smith and Wesson.Thanks David.

flash

Re: Smith and Wesson 20 Ga. shotgun ?

Post by flash »

I had a model 916 S&W 12ga. 6-shot pump . Never could get the barrel off of it . Me and a friend was walking side by side going squirrel hunting one morning .Luckily I was carrying the gun the safe wat that we all should do just out of the blue the gun went off .After that days hunt I tore the gun clear apart and found nothing wrong . A few days later we went hunting and agian he gun went off with the safety was still on. When I got home I got a cutting torch and cut it in half .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

I have hunted with the S&W 1000 in 20 Ga for 20 years and LUV IT. I had a Remington 1100 in 12 and then in Lite 20 the Smith is a REAL close copy of the Remington with a alloy frame and is 1/2-3/4 lb lighter. I have a 28" full and a Slug bbl and use the slug bbl for Briar Rabbit. If you can find a 1000 I don't think you can go wrong BUT extra bbl's are really hard to find and bring a PREMIUM if you can find one
Jim :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

I had a auto s&w 1000 28 in barrel mod shot a lot of rabbit and a 75 yards shot 5 time with slugs all hit on paper plate
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

LEP

Post by LEP »

I have a 916 B 12 Ga Smith and love it.
Boondoc Kennels
AKC Boondocs Banjo
AKC Sickles Little Kayla ( Sons )
AKC Boondocs Whistleing Dixie ( sons)
AKC/NKC Pride Hill Briars Razor

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i have both the 20 and 12 in the model 1000 semi auto... both of them will not fire... i contacted smith and wesson on this years ago and was refered to another company that does all there repair work on the shotguns(at the time they didnt manufacture the shotguns anymore and wouldnt work on them)... come to find out after talking to the guy, when these guns were manufactured the o-rings and rubber parts they used in these broke down after time from the solvent being used to clean them(alot faster then normal parts should have)... he said newer model guns didnt use the same parts and didnt have this problem... he said that is the main and only problem they see come into the shop with these shotguns.....
i had had the 20 gauge to 3 different places before contacting the manufacturer on mine.... ill never get rid of them bc they are super nice guns... but there way too expensive to fix... they told me $275.00 to fix the 20 gauge... the 12 gauge wasnt doing it at the time but when it finally did lock up i knew what it was going to cost and didnt bother... :neutral:

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I know this is an old post but I have a new Smith and Wesson Mod. 1012 That I bought a year ago and I just love it. I use it as a duck gun only so you know the shells get run through it. I bought it to take to Stutgart Ar. on a guided hunt and it did not fail me. Years ago Smith had trouble with their shotguns but I think now they've got it together.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i have been eyeing the new smiths... they do look good...