reloader questions

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

nb11

reloader questions

Post by nb11 »

I've never owned a shot shell reloader and am thinking about getting one. A few questions:
1. A friend has reloaded a few shells for me before and I watched. It looked pretty simple. I'm not concerned with actually learning how to do it. I am concerned about buying junk, though. My friend has a MEC reloader. I am assuming it would be easier for him to look over my shoulder and get me through the learning curve a little better if I get a reloader similar to his. I just want to know if that brand is a good choice. If it matters, I am just going to be reloading shells for rabbits. mostly 28ga, but would like to be able to do an occasional 12 or 20.
2. I looked on Ebay. there were several auctions where the seller said he knew nothing about reloaders and couldn't guarantee that they actually worked, although they looked to be in very clean, good condition. Reloaders do not look like complicated pieces of equipment. Even if something was broken upon receipt, they don't look like there is much to them. They don't look like they'd be hard to fix. Am I very far off on this thought???

Thanks everybody.
Merry Christmas.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap."

S.R.Patch

Re: reloader questions

Post by S.R.Patch »

Mec is a good name reloader.
Imho, It really depends how much your going to reload.
I don't reload much so I bought cheaper reloaders, Lee & Hornady.
The price will vary on single stage reloaders (one pull of the lever for each operation) vers./ progressive stage reloaders (one pull of the lever performing multiple operations of reloading).
I think your right, they're pretty simple machines and I don't think you could hurt one.
I stay pretty much with a basic load. If you want to change loads, you'll need to see that you get the proper shot & powder loads with the machine to change over to heavy or lighter load shells.
It's fun to reload a few boxes and my kids loved to help with setting up the empty hulls and stacking the finished shells in the boxes but, I had to insist they remain quiet while I was loading or sometimes there might be a shell with no powder, very embarrassing as the cottontail stops and looks back to laugh at you after a failed shot ... :lol:

B&D Kennels

Post by B&D Kennels »

nb11,
I use to travel around the eastern part of the US shooting competition trap. I reloaded thousands of 12 guage AA trap shells though 2 reloaders I found the most trustworthy, a Mec 650 and a Pacific 366. Both were what you call progressive reloaders. I believe there are still 3 basic reloaders, a single stage reloader where you manually load each station by hand and turn the turret by hand, a progressive loader where each shell station advances automatically as you return the handle to the upright position or an automatic loader which is a progressive loader operated automatically without any handle. The down stoke of the loaders processes the following stations on each of the above loaders turret; remove primer, install new primer, install wad, add powder, add shot and crimp shell. Again, a progressive reloader, the down stoke of the handle processes each station and the upstoke of the handle advances the territ one station and a completed shell is expelled. The operator would then add another emply shell casing and start over. It is hard to tell the condition of reloaders by looks. They can be tempermental as they wear due to tollerence changes and broken parts. Some reloaders can be adjusted which helps for smooth operation. You screw up one station without knowing and you have shells that are not functional. The powder gets clogged and does not drop powder and whala. Your crimp did not line up and the shot spills all over the territ which is a mess and time consuming to clean up. It use to be much less expensive to reload and fun if you had the time. They still make Mec and Pacific reloaders. Both are excellent and dependable reloaders as long as you do not screw up. But, you will screw up! :lol: In your case, if you are not going to reload 1,000's of shells, a manuel reloader may do just fine. I now run the dogs and rabbit hunt. I have not reloaded in a few years but have both reloaders sitting on the bench, in my shop, just in case. In any event, I now shoot a 410 O/U for rabbits and love it. Unless things have changed, it is not feasible to change the dies, powder charge bars and stations for different guage shells in reloaders. You will want a reloader set up for each guage shell you want to reload. Don't forget, when the darn shot spills on the turret and you have to unload all stations to get the darn shot off the turret to continue reloading, remember, I told you to forget reloading and buy your shells, even if more expensive. Run your hounds instead. :lol: Only kidding - All of the above happens more than you will like but have fun reloading.

B & D Kennels
"Where controlled speed is appreciated"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I always enjoyed reloading on those cold winter nights or days when the wind and weather forced you to become a shut-in.
The real savings on reloading was when you were in need of the heavier load shells, the light loads are as cheap to buy but some of the heavy loads are up to $15. a box and I still load them for the price of light loads. When I started I bought a bunch of primer, wads, powder and shot, so I don't know what the prices are now. I always kept the AA hulls as they were the best to reload. I have 20ga & 12ga reloaders w/ powder & shot bushings for different loads, also some shells are 6 pt. crimp and the AA's are 8 pt. crimp so you'll need 2 different crimp starters for different shells you reload. It's alot of fun reloading your own shells and the flexibility of choosing what load you want is only a few adjustments away.
When you can't run hounds, what's better than reloading and thinking about running hounds... :lol:

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

MEC loaders work great, loading 28 ga you will save quite a bit of money by reloading. Reloading shotgun shells is much easier than metallic reloading you just need to follow the load manual exactly, don't substitute hull brands, wads, or powder charges and you will be good to go. You will also want to use a powder scale to verify powder charges, a chart will get you close to the right bushing size for a given powder but it won't be exact. Good luck and happy reloading.

nb11

Post by nb11 »

A lot of good info. Thanks everybody.
I actually just found access to a MEC reloader that my neighbor has, but does not use anymore. He offered for me to set it up to suit myself. I only have to buy items that I need and put them on his press.
Thanks again.
Hope you all had a great Christmas.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap."