357 sig caliber

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chris fuson

357 sig caliber

Post by chris fuson »

i have been looking at the glock pistol (cant remeber the exact model number) that comes in a 357 sig. i have heard alot of great things about this semi automatic pistol, can anyone tell me the pros and cons to the semi auto 357 sig as a caliber and the glock 357 sig gun as well. does the 357 sig have nice energy for a smaller caliber? i had been focusing on the 40 smith and wesson and had made the assumption that the 40 s&w is the best over all pistol caliber as far as feet per second, and the knock down power at certain distances, but a friend of mine that is a cop said his whol force went to the 357 sig caliber and they where great, that they had alot more knocdown power then the 9mm and yet traveled faster then the 40 s&w, just if anyone knows about the 357 sig as a caliber or as both caliber and the glock pistol, thanks for any help.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: 357 sig caliber

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

I think you'll be very happy with the Glock pistols. I like the 9mm Glocks myself. My other favorite is the .45acp 1911.
I would choose the .40 S&W over the Sig. for reliability and for economics. The .40 is a nice caliber for one who doesn't have 9mm and .45acp's like me. It is kind of in between in power.

RABBITHUNTER22

Post by RABBITHUNTER22 »

Try a sig sauer p226 40cal. I like it a lot. Also have the baby glock(27) it's a 40 also. Both are nice guns and never had any problems out of either
LPRCH LPBCH Brown's Ice Cold Butcher
LPRCH Timber Ridge Boomer

Brown's Beagles

TrevorR

Post by TrevorR »

Chris, I just spent a full day on the range doing test and evaluations on several handguns to include Sig,G-lock,H &K, and Springfield in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 sig. Before testing I researched the penetration and expansion test of all 3 rounds and with todays ammo all 3 are very close but, the 40 and 357 have more knockdown at point of impact. 357 sig would be my choice for home defense but can be more costly to shoot than the 40 S&W. When ever you decide on the caliber make sure you research the handguns because many models come in various calibers each model was originally made for a specific caliber such as, the sig 226 was designed for 9mm the sig 229 is designed for the 40 S&W. Which ever you choose make sure the fits and feels good to you.

huntall50

Post by huntall50 »

The Sig.357 is a .40 case bottle-necked to a 9mm bullet. The stats. are super-sized for the combo. I own a Sig229 in .40 and later brought a drop in barrel in the .357Sig. Because of price or ammo I carry and practice with he .40

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Try a Kahr CW45 it out shot my Glock 21 and is about 100$ less. Kahr makes great Hand Guns.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

Twin Bridge Kennels

Post by Twin Bridge Kennels »

I have a Springfield xd in a 357sig and I love it. I have several pistols and it is my favorite one. The state troopers used to use it where I live but they swithched to the 40cal because when they went in a house after someone the sig is so powerful that it would shot through a house and possibly hit a by stander so they went to the 40cal. I shot my 357sig and my 1911 45 at 1/4 in metal plates and the 45 bullets would hit and discentergrate and the 357sig would actually dent the metal plate.
Twin Bridge Kennels
Jackie Branstetter II