barrel length for bunnies?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

barrel length for bunnies?

Post by 870 »

Was wondering what length barrels you all have on your shotguns ?

I just got an ithaca 37r 20 guage manufactured 1940. It currently has an aftermarket poly choke and is 28 inches.

I was thinking maybe i should just leave it but I hate the look of the poly choke and 28 inches seems a tad long i was hopeing to find 26 inch barrel. you can't switch barrels on it though without having it fitted by a smith.

I was thinking of having it cut to 26 and screw chokes installed? I'm thinking a little shorter will help on rabbits since its mostly snap shooting in thick cover but maybe hurt on wingshooting since this is my only shotgun it has to do rabbits and all upland birds too. Also i know the poly might pattern a little better so maybe its worth it being ugly and a tad long ?

DIXIEDOG

Re: barrel length for bunnies?

Post by DIXIEDOG »

870 wrote:Was wondering what length barrels you all have on your shotguns ?

I just got an ithaca 37r 20 guage manufactured 1940. It currently has an aftermarket poly choke and is 28 inches.

I was thinking maybe i should just leave it but I hate the look of the poly choke and 28 inches seems a tad long i was hopeing to find 26 inch barrel. you can't switch barrels on it though without having it fitted by a smith.

I was thinking of having it cut to 26 and screw chokes installed? I'm thinking a little shorter will help on rabbits since its mostly snap shooting in thick cover but maybe hurt on wingshooting since this is my only shotgun it has to do rabbits and all upland birds too. Also i know the poly might pattern a little better so maybe its worth it being ugly and a tad long ?
I like the short barrels for rabbit hunting, they are easier to swing around in the brush. I generally use a .410 pistol for rabbit hunting now but when I do bring a rifle it's usually a 18.5" barreled Benelli. If it were my shotgun and I was going to shorten the barrel anyway I would go down to 20" , you won't believe the difference in how it handles in the woods.

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

I have been using a S&W 1000 20 gauge with the smooth slug bbl . I find the 20 lighter and the 18 " bbl to be a good to get through the tight spots.
I used a Remington 1000 12 gauge with a 26" skeet bbl before that and I just like tthe 1-1 1/2 lighter 20 gauge. I hunted with a gentleman while I lived in Va and he used a 20 Ga Double nice and lite and carried well.
Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

Snow Dog

Post by Snow Dog »

I use a Beretta 391 with a 24 inch fact. barrel, shoots great, handles great! The pattern and accuracy of the shorter barrel is determined by the backbore. With some backbore work and choke tubes you will have a rabbit smoker for sure!
Last edited by Snow Dog on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good running to you! Jim Dagley

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Franchi 620 with 24" barrel; carries easy all day and with IC choke and 5-6 shot gets the job done on rabbits.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

flash

Post by flash »

Don't worry about what the poly-choke looks like . When I was young I hunted with a mossberg 12 ga. 3-shot bolt-action . While the rabbits were running you could adjust the choke to suit the terrain . I killed many ,many, many ,rabbits and squirrels with that gun . I wish I had it back you know how youngsters are gotta have a pump gun . I don't even remember what I traded for but I would love to have it back .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser