Olympic Arms AR-15

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bud Moody

Olympic Arms AR-15

Post by Bud Moody »

I just bought a Olympic arms AR with a 1-9 twist 16" barrel. Does someone have a load made up? Thanks

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: Olympic Arms AR-15

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

With your twist rate I would use 62 grain bullets and Winchester ball powder.
Ball powder meters really well and I like Winchester powder, personally. An extruded powder that produces good accuracy is IMR4198 but cuts in the powder dispsenser so it is a little less easy to load. I also like Sierra bullets and Match Kings (HPBT) are really nice for plinking targets or small varmit hunting. Plenty of loads listed online and a good sight for general information is http://www.AR15.com

Bud Moody

Post by Bud Moody »

Thanks for the reply. I have a Pact powder dispenser so I can load with all types of powders. I want to load about 3000 rounds so I'm trying to get some good deals. I have the brass and primers but not sure what powder and grains to use. I load with a Dillon 550 B and use a Redding die. Let me look at the AR web site and see what they have to say. Thanks

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

If you are looking for cheaper bullets and decide to go with a 55 gr stick with Hornady, they are the best shooting bulk bullet I have seen. Everybody I know who has tried them has had the same results as me, they are good MOA shooters which is about as good as it gets for bulk components. I have also been using Wolf primers they are around $25 cheaper per 5K package and they have worked wonderful so far. Using a powder dispenser like the Pact you may want to try some Varget powder for great velocity and almost no temperature sensitivity, if you were using a manual powder dropper ball would definitely be the way to go. For ball powder I like Winchester powders also but have recently been experimenting with Ramshot powder, TAC is working great meters like a dream and gives good velocity. The TAC is also quite alot cheaper than Hogdon or Winchester powders. Notice a trend here, it appears that I am cheap :biggrin:

Bud Moody

Post by Bud Moody »

Thanks DIXIEDOG,
I have not heard of the TAC powder. I will look into it. I'm waiting for a couple stores to get back with me on the bullets. Do you have a load or starting point for the TAC powder? I will be using Federal promers and LS brass. I hope to load a few by hand to see what shots best and the go to the 550 B.
Do you have a scope on yours? What about some type of a light system? Thanks

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Loads using Ramshot TAC and Hornady 55 gr bulk bullets

Charge Velocity Pressure
23.00 2797 38484
23.50 2860 41105
24.00 2924 43924
24.50 2988 46951 ! Near Maximum !
25.00 3052 50212 ! Near Maximum !
25.50 3116 53721 ! Near Maximum !
******Use at own risk ****

These are loads from Quickload software, you need to work up your loads slowly looking for pressure signs. One hint when using 55 gr loads is that you often times need to load OAL shorter than the 2.260 magazine length to get the best accuracy, I usually seat to 2.18 OAL for the best accuracy.