28 guage???

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

padeerhunter

28 guage???

Post by padeerhunter »

Wanting to buy a new gun and in another thread noticed people suggesting the 28ga. Don't know a whole lot about them. Was going to buy a .410, but thinking about this now. How much bigger are they than a .410? Haven't really looked around, but are they easy to come by? How about the price on one? Really just want a single shot. Are the shells hard to get/find? Thanks for any info.

Doug

DIXIEDOG

Re: 28 guage???

Post by DIXIEDOG »

If you don't reload your shells I would stick with a 20 ga. the .410 and 28 ga shells are both very expensive. With a 12 ga or 20 ga you can buy value packs of shells at Wallyworld or Dicks for less than 1/3 the price of .410 shells. If you reload shells the lighter gauges make since because they use less shot and are cheaper per round to reload. That is assuming you are like me and will be shooting alot of shells :oops:

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I've used a 1100/ 28 for 20 years now and I love it :D A few years back I bought a 28 side by side but it's too prety to take into the woods :( The shells are not that bad besides most people are willing to pay a little more for what they enjoy :lol:

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

If I remember correctly .28 has 40% more lead and double the kill power than .410. Someone correct me.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I believe you are correct :nod:

padeerhunter

Post by padeerhunter »

Still don't know what to get :?: Would it really be much different than a 20ga. with low base shells :?: Did some calling around today and of course no one has any around here that I can pick up and see how it fits me :???: Anybody else with any info??

Doug

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

.28 high brass will give you same powder as .20 low base. A lot less weight to carry around. If you try a .28 1100, you won't be interested in carrying anything else. They swing to your shoulder already on target and are as smooth as silk, expecially the older made 1100's. A good used one can be had for around 400.00. If you shoot a lot, high brass shells will cost you mabe 50.00 a yr. One box lasts me two yr.s.

flash

Post by flash »

When my beagling buddies start harassing me about carrying my .410 revolver I have a browning BPS 28 gauge very lethal and very dependable the gun has never jammed in probably 1400 shots since I have owned it .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Here's a pic of my two 28's the top one is a Remington 1100 and the bottom one is a Baikal single trigger side by side. Both are great rabbit guns but like I said in a prevous post the wood on the Baikal is too pretty to take into the woods.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Noble sport has full 1oz 28 loads that are hot. they cost less than a box of high brass remington or winchester 20 ga loads. They are real good shells you can afford. I like the 6 shot for rabbits.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

The 28 guage is one of the best patterning guns there is. That why so many competition skeet shooters shoot them. I own a remington 870 that I payed I believe $350 for new, and I love it. It is also very versitile for hunting both cottontails and snowshoes.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

My 10-year old carries a NEF 28 in a single shot when he's hunting rabbits. He has been shooting it since he was 5. He doesn't like a 12 or 20 for anything but skeet, though he is a crack shot on clays with the 28. Shells are around $10 a box around eastern Ky, about the same as .410's. I have been told that there is very little difference between the 28 and the 20 in knockdown. I am a firm believer in using the least power that does the job efficiently to avoid wasted meat. The 28 has a huge advantage over a 12 in that category for sure.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

padeerhunter

Post by padeerhunter »

Well I found a New England 28 ga. brand new today for $99.95 and bought it :D As most of you know, it's not fancy, but it is just what I want for rabbits. Got home and me and the beagle went for a walk. She kicked out her own rabbit, ran it in a HUGE circle and brought it back to me. The gun did great :D Didn't even have it an hour and it has one kill under it belt :cool: Our beagle is doing great for a little over 8 months old I think. I've been more into this than deer hunting this season. And now I have another new gun :biggrin: Can't wait till tomorrow!!

Doug

beaglehandler

Post by beaglehandler »

I read alot of load info and don't always know what chart is best to go by but tend to favor shotgun world info. I cannot find how to compare a 410 to 28 or a 28 to 20. The only info I can find on 28 load is 3/4 oz and the smallest 20 load I can find is 7/8. That is not alot of difference however it is a difference and there would always be more shot in a 7/8 oz load than a 3/4 oz load. Again it is most important to find what load your gun shoots the best and use that load. I shoot a 28ga the most and find that my gun throws a better kill pattern with #5's than with #4's or #6's. I also shoot #4's in my 410 but find that #5's have a better pattern with my gun. However the reason for not shooting #5's is they are so hard to find. Take some pieces of cardboard and pattern your gun with different loads and see what you find out about something you carry to field. I always thought that #6's were the best thing since slice bread and patterned my guns with 4-5-6 and found even though I am throwing less lead my pattern is more dense in the kill zone.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

I have an Encore camo stocked .28 gauge that is beautiful and balanced. I love the single shot T/C products. I own three Contenders and three Encore frames with seven configurations from shotgun to custom rifle guns. :approve: :dance: