28 guage???

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

eddywilliams

Re: 28 guage???

Post by eddywilliams »

atta boy ringo :cool:
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

flash

Post by flash »

Had my browning BPS 28 gauge out today 3 shots 2 kills . 1st shot .....shooter error.....
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

I have a Bakail O/U 28 ga. That is probally my favorite Gun right now. Shot my first 25 on the skeet range with it this summer. I tried will all the guages many times and have always had my highest scores with the 28 and 16 ga. ( both have imp. and Mod. Chokes) Most say that Mod. is too tight for Skeet. I busted snowshoe Hare, cottontail,  Pheasants, Woodcock, and squirrels, I's as solid as a 12 ga out to 35-40 yrds. IMO

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

The real difference between the Ga. sizes is the number of pellets that they hold, a 12 Ga. has alot more # 6 pellets than a .20 Ga. obviously. The speed and hitting power of the 2 different Ga.'s are still the same. A low brass 12Ga. is slower than a high brass .20 Ga., but a high brass 12Ga. and a high brass .20 Ga. are the same speed.
If you're a good shot the smaller Ga. would be lighter to carry and hit the rabbit with less pellets most likely.
Up here on hare I don't find much difference from .20 Ga. or .12 Ga., the 410 just doesn't seem to have enough pellets to hit most hare travelling through the thick spruce/fir trees and it does seem to be less powerfull though. They are more expensive shells than the 12 ga. low brass which I stopped using this year as I've found the quality of those shells have gone down hill. For 10 years I used them in my Semi 12 Ga. with no problems, but last year I had constant re-loading/jamming issues, so I went to slightly more powerfull shells and it worked fine.
The .28 Ga. sounds like a decent choice, never triaed one myself.