7mm08

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

fulcount

7mm08

Post by fulcount »

what was the origin of the 7mm08 and how long has it been around?

Rneil

Re: 7mm08

Post by Rneil »

In 1980 Remington introduced a new cartridge along with the popular Model 700 and less expensive, but just as nice, Model 788. The cartridge was the 7mm-08 Remington, which evolved from the 308 Winchester case. Simply stated all Remington did was neck down the Winchester 308 case to fit a 7mm bullet, thus creating the 7mm-08 Remington. Factory ammunition was loaded with the 140 grain bullets at about 2845 feet per second, and a 120 grain bullet at 3000 feet per second.

The 7mm-08 Remington cartridge was immediately a huge success with the metal silhouette shooters. The 7mm-08 Remington had a very nice blend of accuracy and power which made it ideal for the metal silhouettes, that combined wit the 7mm-08's mild recoil made it popular and helped in creating its user base. After some time people realized that the smaller size of the cartridge had in no way negatively affected performance. The performance of the 7mm-08 Remington cartridge was near that of the 7mm Remington Magnum, especially when the powder amount varied as much as it did. The reloader soon found that the 7mm-08 Remington cartridge supported great results in almost every bullet load type, whether it was a Speer Grand Slam or a Speer TNT. This performance help create a very a favorable cartridge for most situation.

Wit the fan base so large and the uses so many the 7mm-08 Remington has found itself in many situation and has handled itself with great respect, the 7mm-08 Remington has been used on all types of North American game except the biggest of bears. Of course proper bullet choice is what really makes the 7mm-08 Remington so versatile, without the correct bullet the 7mm-08 Remington will not be the right cartridge for the job. Because of its smaller size the bullet selection must be careful, and well thought through.
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Thank you for the info appreciate it

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

Hey John, if you ever have a chance to pick up a 7mm-08 in a model 788 remington, do it. I have several model 788s and think it is a real sweet rifle, not made any longer, but were chambered in several popular cartidges, ie, 44 mag, 308, 7mm-08, 243, 223 and 30-30. It was an inexpensive rifle when it was being made. I have a 7mm-08 in a model 7 Remington, nice weapon. Ed B.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i baught 7mm/08 a few years ago i really liked the lilgun mine was a browning lever action i just liked the looks of the gun n wanted to try that caliber no problem bringing a deer down i dropped a few in their tracks but just my luck somebody else liked it better than i did it got stolen i think i know who stole it but cant prove it jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Ed
been out yet?
I'm reloading for my 7mm08 encore pistol 15 in bbl nice shooting weapon trying to take a deer with it no luck yet
took a nice 8pt with the muzzleloader tho
will be in KY from Nov 7 to april runnin and gunnin also doin some deer hunting

John

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

Hey John, just got back from 4 days of north country hare hunting with some WV boys. We did real well, had good sleeping set ups and plenty of "good" social hours. Got back yesterday afternoon. Would be good to hear from you.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Ed
Nora and I are heading for KY next week til April goin to do some deer hunting and run and gun our hounds for the winter dont know if I can stand being away from the north
all winter first time in 60 years we will be away for the winter months
John