youth shotgun

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

billy

youth shotgun

Post by billy »

what is the best youth shotgun. I bought my daughter a rosi 20ga 22cal combo, but the 20 ga kicks to hard. Id like to find a 410 or something with less kick.

thanks
pprch Dano's Baby Girl

Hillbilly Willie

Re: youth shotgun

Post by Hillbilly Willie »

how old is your daughter, most all single barrel, double barrel, and over and under guns kick like a mule even 410 guns ifyou use 3in shells. The only problem with the 2 1/2 in shells is they don't have much power so she won't kill much at any distance. My son is 8 and just started shooting my old franchi 20ga a-48 auto he is only 55lbs and doesn't complain. These guns are still made and can be found used. They are feather light and shoot good. I have had mine since I was 7yrs old and it was 10 yrs old then, so it's about 40yrs old. I use it for rabbit hunting so I'm going to have to make a decision on another gun before long. I'm checking on either a charles daily youth or one of the c-z autos. I think both of these are gas operated guns so they wont kick much, and are reasonably priced.

Good luck,
Bill

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

billy wrote:what is the best youth shotgun. I bought my daughter a rosi 20ga 22cal combo, but the 20 ga kicks to hard. Id like to find a 410 or something with less kick.
thanks
I growd up on a 20ga, lite low brass 7 1/2 shot... ;)

billy

Post by billy »

my doughter is almost 8, but she is small for her age.
Ill try to find the frenchi and see how it shoots. are there any other sugestions?

thanks billy
pprch Dano's Baby Girl

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

A T/C Contender with 410 23" barrel is really sweet.

Hillbilly Willie

Post by Hillbilly Willie »

Charles Daily youth auto, Rem 1187 youth, C-z auto. But the franchi is going to be the lightest of the three,

TrevorR

Post by TrevorR »

Stay away from the CZ 720 auto's. They no longer make the gun and had alot of problems with the firing pin breaking and the locking lug in the bolt cracking. They only have a limited amount of parts so in time you will have a gun that you can't get parts for. Remington is allways a safe bet. And franchi is a good gun just remember to make your adjustments for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have a Franchi feather weight that is a real good gun. It has a 26" barrel and I have killed a couple rabbits with it while shooting it with one hand and the dogs on a lease in the other hand and 3--4 rabbits in my hunting coat, it is that light. Mu hunting buddie's wife has used it a few times and loves it.