Reloading

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: Reloading

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

fulcount wrote:Pike Ridge
I bought the abcs of reloading awhile back it does help a lot
I'm looking for a good load for a 145 gr 7-08 speer bullet
do you have one that works well
have also some new 140 gr combined tech ballistic silver tips to try have any
ideas?
John
John,
Try some Winchester 760 powder (start out with 47 grains then work up to a max of 49 grains and use magnum primers). This should work well. 49 grains will get you close to 3,000 f.p.s., 47 grains will get you a little over 2,800 f.p.s.
Good luck.

Ed

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Right now i'm using hodgden 4895 still hav a bit left to use for the above bullets
have large rifle primer cci

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

fulcount wrote:Right now i'm using hodgden 4895 still hav a bit left to use for the above bullets
?
Not really the powder I would use John. Best you'll do is around 2,700 fps over 41 grains of powder. I'd buy a can of Winchester 760 if it were me.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

My biggest problem here is finding a place to buy the components
not a lot of retailers that i know of deal alot in the reloading end of the game
so the powder is hard to come by unless ordered from Natchez or some other supplier that ships then the hazmat costs kill us if we only order a small amount
I was reading on the 760 the other day and more or less had decided to look some up
maybe Gander Mt will have it am going there in the Am
thanks for the info
John

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

John,

Find some buddies who reload and split the shipping cost. If there are any gunstores nearby they should stock powder. Buy a 4# keg if you can..it will be cheaper in the long run. If you lived nearby I'd hook you up...I have about 6 cans down in storage. You can't beat Wincheter ball powder. It meters real well and is good stuff in bolt action rifles. I like IMR too but extruded powder cuts when using my powder dispnsers so I have to use a trickler in it to get accurate measures. Do a google before you buy if you buy online. Natchezz is a good source. If there are any gunshows that is another good source. If you have anymore questions give me a shout.
Ed

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

right now i dont plan on reloading only for my Encore pistol
like shooting it and it does take a lot of practice to get proficient with one
John

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

With the cost of ammo, in the long run reloading is the best option. Once you make the initial investment it gets cheap. You can reuse the same case many times and a 1,000 primers go a long way. You might consider buying a box of magnum primers (1,000) if you order the powder online. With the cost of Hazmat shipping you don't want to order just a pound or two of powder. Reloads are usually more accurate than factory loads and you can tweek them in for your particular gun.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

I njust got some new rem brass the necks seem rough on the edges
what to do? I dont have all the tools yet ? Said I was a neophyte!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

There is an inexpensive deburr/chamfer tool that will ream the inside and outside of the case neck. RCBS as well many others sells them. I'd neck resize the brass if it is out of round too. You will need to lube the case beforehand. Like I said...after the inittial investment it gets cost effective. The tool I am describing is probably around $12.00
I usually buy boattail bullets because they creat less drag and are easier to reload that flat based bullets.
Here is what the tol looks like.... http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.E ... mid=143728