Need Scope Advice

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mtnwaykennel

Need Scope Advice

Post by mtnwaykennel »

I just got ahold of one of the Marlin XL7 rifles. 270........

If you have not seen them... for the money they are wicked...

Now I am tryin to figure out what to put on it... never shoot 400 plus yards... 300 is about it max... I thought a 3x9 but now I am not so sure...

anyone wanna lend me any advice????

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

TallDog

Re: Need Scope Advice

Post by TallDog »

There are numerous new scopes on the market for fairly low prices. However, I would pass on those due to the poor quality of materials and workmanship coming from China and go with a used older American scope. I've been down this same road and just go to a gun show and find a clean used Redfield from the old days. My personal favorite is the Redfield Widefield model from the early '70's in 2X - 7X power. There's on on eBay now and it closes out tomorrow. If I needed a scope now, that would be mine. It'll probably go for around $100. I also like the Redfield mounts and rings. I sight my .270 in to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards. It's dead-on at 200 yards.
http://cgi.ebay.com/REDFIELD-2x7-WideAn ... 286.c0.m14
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell

FrancoMo1678

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

Burris 3x9x40 , best scope for the money

Kevin Dowell

Post by Kevin Dowell »

I have a Winchester Model 70 .270 with a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm. Got the complete outfit from a guy needing some money and i got a steal in it. I have owned it for about 6-7 years now and have dropped it twice, beat and banged around on a four wheeler with it and have neeeeeever had to touch the scope, plus you would not believe the difference it makes at first light and just before dark. As you well know, leupold's are not cheap, but for the piece of mind...........priceless. Leupold all the way, JMHO.

The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Hard to beat the Nikon Prostaff or Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3x9x40,less than 200 and real clear and bright with not much paralex. If you want to put the money in one about 500$ a Zeiss Conquest in 3.5 to 10 x 40 is hard to beat with any scope. I like a stright 6 power for hunting here I hardly ever shoot over 150 yds and most of the time less than 50.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

denny606

Post by denny606 »

The gun is no better than the scope you put on it ,Nikon and leupold are good choices and so is the redfield that somebody mentioned on ebay,but make sure the seller is reputable and will stand behind what he sells ,My recomendation is to spend as much as you can comfortably afford and don't skimp on cheap mounts either.I personally have a 3x9 redfield that i have sold three rifles out from under,poor optics make for poor accuracy,I have heard good things about the Burris but have not owned one ,I would not recommend bushnell or bsa to any one.some people may have good luck with them,but not me and stay away from the cheaper simmons also. The higher dollar simmons such as the aetec are good scopes for the money, Just my two cents worth, I'm not trying to start any arguments about scopes here.If i mentioned any thing in a negative light it is from my own experience and you may not agree with it but that's everybody's right,Denny
Denny's House.... Home of HOF Front Porch Champion Fred the Beagle

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

My thought on a scope is buy the best you can afford. I'd rather have a less expensive rifle w/ a quality scope than a nice rifle w/ a piece of junk mounted on top. If you have $1000 bucks to spend on a rifle set up - I'd say put at least $500 in the scope.

W/ that being said - most calibers start to drop significantly after 300 yards and to be honest, most people have no business trying to shoot over 300 yards anyway. There are just to many factors and unless you have spent a lot of time bench shooting or are just amazingly luckly chances are too high for wounded animal.

So, I'd say site that 270 in for about 250 and you should be able to just about hold dead on from 0 - 300. You may be about 2 1/4" high at 100 and probably about 2 - 3 low at 300.

In regards to scope power - 3x9 is very versitale and 9 power is plenty for shooting 300 yards.
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

Jack

Post by Jack »

Most any scope will work,IF you are like me any more only hunt in fair weather. But if you hunt in the bad weather then you need a good scope. The cheaper ones will not hold up in foul weather. If you have not use a scope before, you to get to where when throw the rilfe up the cross-hair will be on target. What I did was pick out spot off in the distance and look at it and throw the gun up and you will get to where the cross-hairs will bw near where you want them.That the nly way you can find running game in a scope. To look thru a scope trying to find your target will cause you to throw the scope away.

Gang

Post by Gang »

I agree with Kevin, and have a Leupold 3X12X50mm Vari 3 on my Remington 700 BDL 30/06. The light gathering capabilities will keep you in the field with very good vision throughout all legal shooting minutes. You'll be able to shoot earlier and later than most, and if you hunt much you know when the big boys are moving. They aren't cheap but are well worth the price.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Try the Bushnell Elite 4200 3X10 or the Leupold VX-II 3X9. For the money and the .270 caliber these will work fine. I personally do like 50mm objectives but if I did and wanted a quality scope at a good price the Elite 3200 5X15X50 is a good choice. With scopes, you normally get what you pay for from my personal experience.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

Gang wrote:I agree with Kevin, and have a Leupold 3X12X50mm Vari 3 on my Remington 700 BDL 30/06. The light gathering capabilities will keep you in the field with very good vision throughout all legal shooting minutes. You'll be able to shoot earlier and later than most, and if you hunt much you know when the big boys are moving. They aren't cheap but are well worth the price.
dont waste your money on all those cheap scopes go with the leoupold to begin with n ya want ever have to buy another they got a lifetime warranty my son lost his rifle off his atv going about 45 mph skinned his rifle up n busted the leoupold scope ya know sent it back to factory they sent him a new scope no questions asked i have 4 rifles all are equipped with the leoupols scopes i have a vari X 3 4 1/2 x 14 on my 25/06 n have a vari X 3 6 1/2 x 20 on my 223 ya wont belive how much light they gather at early morning n at the edge of dark brightens things right up dont fog up in rainy weather or snowy conditions i have had all those other scopes got tired of them fogging up n couldnt see worth nothing on overcast days they are a lil pricy but in the long run they are worth the money :check: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

I have had great success with Nikon scopes. They have a lifetime warranty. I do not think it covers abuse, accidents or neglect. I have not had to send one back yet and I own 6. I also own three Leupold scopes two vxII and one vxIII. These scopes are good but the light and clarity are not as good as the equal Nikon and the price of the Nikon has often been half of the Leupold. Leupold does make a good scope but I feel they are over priced. Nikon scopes have served me well and the price is great.

Pyzon24

Post by Pyzon24 »

nikon you cant beat them for the price.just my opinion
Mike Conti

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i have heard alot of people talk good about nikon but i have never looked through a nikon scope
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

BunnyBuster12 wrote:I also own three Leupold scopes two vxII and one vxIII. These scopes are good but the light and clarity are not as good as the equal Nikon and the price of the Nikon has often been half of the Leupold.
I guess different people see things in a different light. I too have a Leupold VXII and a Nikon Buck Master both 3x9x40. My Nikon is not as bright as my Leupold. I find both the Nikon and Leupold to be bright and crisp, but the Leupold is brighter to me in low light situations. My father also loves his Nikon. His only problem is that when it gets really late, he can't see the crosshairs. Perhaps that's a good indication that it's time to go home.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard that Zeiss makes a really good scope too. From what I have gathered, they are a good combination of Leupold and Swarovski.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!