The Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pa beagler

The Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver

Post by pa beagler »

Any opinions on this revolver to hunt rabbits with. I wanted to purchase a handgun to carry when running dogs due to the ever growing yote problem. I have that in the Judge with the .45 caliber long colts. It also shots .410 loads and thought it might be fun to use when rabbit hunting! I usually carry my cam corder for video and it gets a little tough carring the shotgun with the camera.
Don
May the good Lord bless you!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: The Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Great for home defense and yote defense but not the best choice in a 410 handgun for rabbit hunting if you want to harvest many bunnies, IMHO. Although, harvesting bunnies means little to me for it is all about the running.
I wouldn't mind having one for auto carry. I bet if you hit the boogy man at point blank range in the face with a 410 load of 6 shot it would ruin his day.

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

It is not legal in PA. You should check out a TC Contender, it is legal
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

the taurus is legal in pa. it has a rifled barrel.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

The Tauras would be a good weapon if you are shooting them off your foot!
Get a T/C Encore and then you can shoot the yotes and the rabbits

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Why would this gun be illegal in Pa? I am assuming by what you guys are telling me that this gun does not reach out? How far would I be able to take a shot at a rabbit. I am not real worried about havesting them or I would carry my shot gun. My main concern is protection from the yotes, but thought it would be fun to try for rabbit as well.
Don

upperlimits

Post by upperlimits »

There was an article in the north american hunter about the gun, I believe they said it is good for rabbits out to about 10 to 15 yrds.pretty cool little gun.i would really like to get one ,but I`m broke. I think the article was in the may or June issue of 08.

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

It's illegal for use in PA on small game.
cannot be plugged to a 3 shell capacity with a one peice filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun and it is .41 caliber.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Incahoots is correct, A TC contender with a .410 barrel is legal because it is a single shot, This is from our regulation book
Regulations
Arms & Ammunition: 1) Manually operated and autoloading shotguns with a capacity of no more than 3 shells in
the chamber and magazine combined; 2) Manually operated rifles and handguns less than 23 caliber; 3) Muzzleloading
rifles and handguns 40 caliber or less and shotguns; and 4) long, recurve and compound bows and arrows. Singleprojectile
ammunition, or fine shot pellets no larger than No.4 lead, bismuth-tin, or tungsten-iron, or No. 2 steel. Note:
Rifle and handgun caliber restrictions do not apply when hunting woodchucks, although rifles and handguns must be
manually operated. While hunting small game during the bear or muzzleloader deer seasons, the only rifle or handgun
that can be used is a 22 caliber or less rimfire.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

Michhuntr

Post by Michhuntr »

This is just the thread I've been looking for . I have been looking for info on this subject and have a question. I was worried about the Judge and the rifled barrel. Shot spread would be to great at any distance for rabbit or yotes i think. My primary concern is rabbit hunting and the 25 yard shot or so.

What size barrel would you reconmend with the ENCORE. I assume the longer the barrel the longer the shot potential. Don't won't it to long or I would just carry a 410.
Politicians & Diapers both need to be changed on cue, and for the same reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Well don't that just stink (below). I just bought one thinking I could use it but I guess not. Well at least I can keep the dogs protected from yotes. Maybee but I doubt it, the gun shop will take it back since they are the ones who suggested it for both yotes and small game. Oh well.

Arms & Ammunition: 1) Manually operated and autoloading shotguns with a capacity of no more than 3 shells in
the chamber and magazine combined; 2) Manually operated rifles and handguns less than 23 caliber; 3) Muzzleloading
rifles and handguns 40 caliber or less and shotguns; and 4) long, recurve and compound bows and arrows. Singleprojectile
ammunition, or fine shot pellets no larger than No.4 lead, bismuth-tin, or tungsten-iron, or No. 2 steel. Note:
Rifle and handgun caliber restrictions do not apply when hunting woodchucks, although rifles and handguns must be
manually operated. While hunting small game during the bear or muzzleloader deer seasons, the only rifle or handgun
that can be used is a 22 caliber or less rimfire.
Don

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Just got off the phone with the game commission regarding this. Man was he a real piece of work! He would not give me a straight up answer of yes or no. As far as the maximum of three shells that just pertains to shotguns so I am ok there. Were it gets tricky is that it has to be a handgun or rifle of less than .23 caliber. Well the the Judge is a .45 cal but obivously I would not be using that for rabbits but instead .410 gage shot. Do you guys think that it is illegal since it is a .45 eventhough I would not be using that load. Also, the only way they could get me would to actually see me use it since I have a permit to carry.
Don

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Just don't have any 45 LC ammo on you when you are hunting rabbits. When you are running in the off season I'd alterante 410 and 45LC for yote control.

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I could be wrong here, but isn't a .410 actually a caliber dimension and not a gauge? I thought it is basically a .41 caliber?
Eva's Beagles

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Eva's Beagles wrote:I could be wrong here, but isn't a .410 actually a caliber dimension and not a gauge? I thought it is basically a .41 caliber?
It is actually called the .410 bore and is not a gauge, but rather a caliber.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.410_bore
.410 bore, commonly misnamed the .410 gauge, is the smallest caliber of shotgun shell commonly available. It has similar base dimensions to the .45 Colt revolver cartridge (though the .410 is significantly longer, up to 3 inches in length), allowing many single-shot firearms and some revolvers chambered in that caliber to fire shot without any modifications.
Pronounced four-ten, the .410 shotgun is a bore and not a gauge because the barrel diameter is .410 inches (10.4 mm); a true gauge is a measurement of the number of lead balls of bore diameter that constitute a pound (454 grams). The .410, when measured by gauge, would be around 67 or 68 gauge.[1] A true gauge measuring .410 would have a 2.25 inch (57 mm) bore; a 410 gauge would measure .225 inches (5.7 mm). In the US, the .410 is the only popular shotgun cartridge named by bore rather than gauge, though it is often referred to as a four-ten gauge. In the United Kingdom and other English speaking countries, all shotgun sizes are called bore, whether measured by gauge or bore diameter.