The Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pa beagler

Re: The Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver

Post by pa beagler »

Well I found out a few things this evening. Man I have been running all over the place. I went back to the gun shop and they will take it back for a full refund if I want. However, the owner said that he had just talked to a game warden in his shop this week and the warden said that it will be legal because they have been getting so many calls about it they went ahead and approved it. I talked to a different warden tonight and he said he has not heard anything of the such. Hmmm go figure. Anyway I am going to make a couple more calls tommorrow and try to find out what the real deal is. I am thinking of taking it back anyway and getting the .40 caliber semi (for the yote protection) that I was planning on in the first place. I will then get a .22 revolver to rabbit hunt with. Which way do you guys think I should go?
Don
May the good Lord bless you!

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

i know several people that are using them to harvest rabbits and defend aganst yots. the gun is lighter then it looks and feels good in the hand.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Don't take it back...I would wait and see how it plays out with them changing the regulation. Heck you already have the piece and you can carry it for protection anytime :bigsmile: . I would definitely buy one if/when they are legal. I would get the 22 in the mean time just in case :lol:
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Well thanks for all the replys on this thread. I think I am just going to keep it. It will do just as good of job on the yotes as the .40 cal semi that I was going to get and it gives me the options of using other load other that the .45 long colts. If they change the regs great it not oh well. I am not sure which option is best anyway ( the .22 or the 410). I don't hunt in many areas where I am going to get a lot of shots over 20 yards and the rabbit would have to be sitting or barely moving to hit is with a .22.
Don

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I would have to think that the choke tube in place makes all the difference in the world as to whether it is a shotgun or .45 pistol, since you have to remove the choke tube to shoot .45s. The F & G people would have to agree that it won't function as a .45 unless the tube is out, so it has to be a shotgun when the choke tube is in. Too bad the F & G guy you talked to was so vague, sounds like he is less out for your best interest and more out to trap someone. I know we probably have some of those in Ky but I haven't met any. Every conservation officer I have ever met in Eastern Ky has gone out of his way to be of assistance to law-abiding hunters and fishermen.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

DRamey wrote:I would have to think that the choke tube in place makes all the difference in the world as to whether it is a shotgun or .45 pistol, since you have to remove the choke tube to shoot .45s. The F & G people would have to agree that it won't function as a .45 unless the tube is out, so it has to be a shotgun when the choke tube is in. Too bad the F & G guy you talked to was so vague, sounds like he is less out for your best interest and more out to trap someone. I know we probably have some of those in Ky but I haven't met any. Every conservation officer I have ever met in Eastern Ky has gone out of his way to be of assistance to law-abiding hunters and fishermen.
The Judge doesn't have a choke tube the barrel rifled only. The problem is if it's considered a shotgun when loaded with .410 then it needs to be plugged to 3 rounds, under PGC regs. plugged to a 3 shell capacity with a one peice filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun I'm not sure how one would accomplish that. As a handgun it's totally out due to caliber. You can carry the handgun in any configuration you want when "dog training" year round. When hunting though the regs as written make the judge illegal.

The PGC regs can be very vague. Sometimes I feel it's intentional because they make no effort to clarify the regs even when they know people are confused. I could make a list of regs that are hard to make sense of because of the implied words used. All I can say is a lot of us that live here get confused also.

I carry a Colt Trooper .22 lr often because I can use it to hunt, bit challenging, and legal for training. If I feel like staying and running once hunting hours are over I don't need to go back and put my firearm in the vehicle.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Well I decided to keep it and after shooting it I am kind of glad I did. I shot the .45s out of it and not to bad for someone who never shot a handgun before. The pattern with the .410 shot (#4) was pretty spread out at 15 yards but definatly think I could harvest a few bunnys with it. If those yotes get brave and get with in 40 to 30 yards I think I have something for them. Its called buckshot. I had a blast shooting it. Well thanks for all the info. If I find any more out about the regs being changed for this gun I will post.
Don

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Hey guys, just found out that the director of the Pa Game commision has made an exception for the Judge. I was told by the gun shop that the Game Commision called them directly from Harrisburgh and told them that someone called and gave them thier name about the Judge and it being legal. They assured them that it was. I also emailed the G.C. and they respondes back here it is:

[Add to Address Book]

Subject:FW: Tarus Judge Handgun
Date:Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:31:53 PM
[View Source]
A special exception was made for the .410 for hunting small game by the Director.

So there ya have it. It is legal in the state of Pa to hunt small game!
Don

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Well I just wanted to let you guys know out there, Shot my first rabbit with the Taurus the day before Thanksgiving. So far so good. All it took was one shot and I was ruffly 10 to 15 yards away. Haven't shot at anymore but planning on it.
Don

flash

Post by flash »

I have used a JUDGE for 3 seasons and I have took rabbits up to 25 yards .If you want to see something really interesting shoot some slugs on paper at 30 - 40 yards totally amazing
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

pa beagler

Post by pa beagler »

Hey flash, how about a little help and info! What type of shot are you using? I have to check but pretty sure I used #4. That was the first rabbit I shot at. Right now I am shooting a thousand and know I will mess that up in a hurry once second season in Pa roles around. I like to carry the camcorder with me when we go out and the pistol is easier to carry than the shotgun. I have shot slugs and I agree it is amazing! I want to try some buckshot next. Old mr. coyote needs to keep his distance. :lol:
Don

flash

Post by flash »

I use 7 1/2 shot 2 1/2 inch that seems to pattern out nice .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser