What's your opinion of .22lr vs .22wmr?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pgmrdan

What's your opinion of .22lr vs .22wmr?

Post by pgmrdan »

For squirrels and rabbits what's your opinion of .22lr vs .22wmr?

I have a half-baked opinion on the subject but since I have no experience with the .22wmr I want to see what others say.

Thanks,
Dan

S.R.Patch

Re: What's your opinion of .22lr vs .22wmr?

Post by S.R.Patch »

Long rifle is plenty for squirrel and much cheaper to shoot. I got a mag for groundhog but the coyotes have all but take care of them and the foxes... :(

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

22 WMR is too much for either.
It is a varmit and poaching gun.

It is sure way to spot a poacher around here. They say they are squirrel hunting, full camo, no game vest, never has any squirrels, carrying a 22 mag.

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

The 22mag with hollow points is too much for squirrels and rabbits. I know a guy that uses the 22mag however; he does not use hollow points. He has some shells with bird shot that he has used on rabbits. Its a great gun for groundhogs. Just like any firearm it can be used wrong.
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

Good!

I've never owned a gun for that cartridge so I thought I would ask. My idea of the .22 wmr goes along with what you guys are saying.

I found a really nice used gun but it's chambered for the .22 wmr instead of the .22 lr. I'd like to have it but I have no use for it. I'll have to pass on this one.

Thanks guys!

Dan

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

What happens when you shoot a 22long rifle shell in a 22mag chamber rifle :?:
I had a old bolt action rifle that shot 22shorts & 22long rifle both. I think the automatic action might be the only one that won't work.

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

I'm not sure what would happen but I'm guessing bad things.

I could get the same gun chambered for .223 Remington so I could reach out and touch a coyote now and then. I read where you can get 2 adapters so you can shoot .22 LR and .22 WMR in a .223 Remington gun. Not sure how well they work but since this is a break-open single shot I would think it should do well enough.

Anyone know?

beagledogxxx

Post by beagledogxxx »

22 lr through a 22 mag will make the bullet key-hole, or tumble. The biggest difference is the price. The mag ammo can run 10 to 14 dollars a box and you know how cheap 22lr can be. I have a mag that I just refuse to buy ammo for. The lr does most things fine and if it isn't big enough, a shotgun is always at hand.