Would a Stevens 94C in 16 gauge make a good rabbit gun?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pgmrdan

Would a Stevens 94C in 16 gauge make a good rabbit gun?

Post by pgmrdan »

I saw an interesting break-open single shot shotgun during my lunch break. It's a Stevens 94C in a 16 gauge. I didn't talk to anyone there about it so I don't know how long the barrel is but I think it's 29 or 30 inches. I have no clue about the choke.

After owning 12 gauge guns for decades I was looking for a 20 gauge. I've never had a 16 gauge before but it might be handy. Would this gauge make a good rabbit gun? Would a 20 gauge be a better choice?

Something about it caught my eye. It's just an interesting old gun. It has character.

Can anyone tell me about these guns? How does it compare to the new NEF H&R single shots? (It's the same price as a new H&R Pardner but the Stevens is a nicer looking gun.)

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by pgmrdan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitearl

Re: Is the Stevens 94C in a 16 gauge a good rabbit gun?

Post by rabbitearl »

Around here it hard to find 16 ga shell.

Ky. Hunter

Re: Would a Stevens 94C in 16 gauge make a good rabbit gun?

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have a 16 ga Winchester automatic with 26" barrel and improved cylinder choke that is a good rabbit gun but I have not used it the last two seasons because it is a little heavy ( 7 1/2 lbs ) and like rabbitearl said, it is getting harder to find shells for it. I shoot #5 shot and they are hard to find here in Richmond, Ky so I have been using my feather weight 20 ga Franchi. I have used 16 ga most of my life and like them.

rabbitgunner87

Post by rabbitgunner87 »

16 gauge is a good all around gauge. I have a 16 gauge Remington Model 31L with a 21 inch improved cylinder barrell and its hard to miss (and will reach out, have killed some 45-50 yards) and doesn't blow the rabbit up nearly as bad as a 12 gauge. 16 gauge shells are hard to find, just recently found 12 boxes at Walmart and bought them all (6 shot high brass - around $6.50 a box)
Jacob Errett

Errett's Empty Pockets Sadie
GRHBCH Errett's Run N Gun Lady Katie
HBCH Xdawg Amazing Grace
Xdawg Sis
HBCH Heat Em Up Eye Candy

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Most any gun can be used for rabbit, I like a short light gun to carry.
There was time I never seen 16ga shells offered on the shelf but the last half dozen years they showed up again and I tried to pick up a couple boxes at the farm store whenever I was there. The 16 was the happy medium between the 12 & 20ga., as was said, a good al'round gun. An ole Cannon Breach 16ga of my father's was the first shotgun I ever shot (kicked like a mule with them old paper shells... :blackeye: )... :lol:

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

Things were slow at the chain store's gun shop last night so two salesmen doubled up on me. They were bored and they've seen me in there a lot lately. We gabbed a lot.

I just couldn't find a double barrel shotgun that really felt comfortable so one of them told the other one to grab a Beretta for me to try out. It fit the best of any gun I've tried. The guy showed me how the stock is canted to the right. That made a world of difference. Then I looked at the price tag: $2,000!!!

I bought a really nice used Steven 94C 16 gauge with a 28" barrel last night for the exhorbitant price of $120.

I'm as happy about the little gun as I can be. :)

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Father bought my first gun, a 28" full, single shot, Newport, for the grand ole price of $15 on a estate sale. I raked and rolled alot of hay to get that little gun... :lol: ...when I got to 7th grade, I took it to school and refinished the stock and forearm in shop class. It was bad timing tho... cause squirrel season was in and I didn't let the finish dry hard enough before I took it out hunting and the finish on the forearm mostly came off... :( ...Hey, ain't squirrel season coming in here soon? used to always come in on the 15th.
Glad you got you a hunt'in gun, now you need to gather you up a bunch of shells incase the shotshells make a disappearance again... :nod: ...I seen they even brought back the 16ga deer slugs.
For a few years, I had most everyone buying me shotshells for Christmas. They ask what I'd want and I'd say, the ole larder gett'in low and if I had some shells I'd go get us some rabbit to fry w/ gravy and biscuits. Well, $5 aint much to spend on a Christmas present so most times you'd get two boxes at a time, next thing you knowd, you was sitt'n in yer chair Christmas morn with 10 boxes of shells on yer lap and hav'in a hard time show'n yer mother-inlaw you like the new tie she bought you more than the shotgun shells... :lol:
Good luck with yer hunt'n adventures... ;)

ps...I really love my mother-inlaw, why she can make the best homemade bread, pickles and blueberry pie you ever had... :nod:

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

Since I dropped the idea for the double barrel I thought the 94C would take care of the need for a rabbit gun with money left over. Now I'm thinking squirrel gun! :lol:

Earlier I posted about the Savage 24 combination gun but at 8 lbs I think that's a bit too much to carry while following rabbits but it's not too much for stalking Mr. Bushytail!!!

I can get him while he's sitting with the rifle or get him while he's running with the shotgun.

Now I just need to locate a gun since Savage stopped making them last year. My timing is terrible!

sgc

Post by sgc »

Do they still make that Stevens 94C or do you have to buy it used? I really like a 16 guage as an all around shotgun even though the shells are high.

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

Used. I think they began making them around the '50's or '60's and quit in the '80's. ???

They had a 94 model before that.

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

i shoot a 16 gauge in the remington 870 express, it is a wonderful gun and the 16 gauge shells are just as plentifull as 12 or 20,,,,,,now 28 is the hard one to find here,,,,,,
OUR SPORT IS MADE UP OF NEW HUNTERS,,,SO PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!

J-N-M'S HIGHBRIER BLU RUKUS

HarleyPA

Post by HarleyPA »

Gotta add my two in here...

I love a 16. I have three of them now. Started off with a browning sweet sixteen. I love that gun. Its fast, it fits me well. What else can you want? I inherited a single shot. Can't say for sure what it is with out looking right now. Might be a Stevens. Hammer gun. My cuosin used it as his first gun. My grandfather bought it for him. I haven't shot it yet. I recently bought a side by each, Springfield, I think. Doesn't much matter, I bought it for a shooter. I always wanted a SxS, it just took me awhile to find one. I paid 280 with tax and the background check. I know CZ is making them new for around 800. They look like nice guns, fit me well. Would have bought one if I didn't find the one I got. I'd hate myself for taking an 800 new gun into the brush where I go.

I can find shells anywhere. I prefer the federals in a medium brass 6. I don't like the Winchester shells. I never coiuld get them to pattern worth a plug.
Harley Purvin

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

I'm finding plenty of 16 ga shells (and new 16 ga guns) nearby. Wal-Mart is about 2 blocks from work and Scheels is about 6 blocks from work. I found slugs too but I don't want to put slugs through this gun. I suspect it's either a full or modified choke and I'm leaning towards thinking it's full.

One thing I especially like about the gun are the sights - it sort of has two. I know you're not really supposed to 'aim' a shotgun but instead 'point' a shotgun. Instead of a flat spot at the rear of the sight plane there's a very nice shallow groove just in front of the hammer. When you line up the front bead with the bottom of that groove it's a lot like sighting down a rifle barrel. Neat!

I shot a few shells through it last night and it behaved perfectly! It's a keeper.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Good deal...
The 16ga shells sit right in the middle of the 12 & 20ga on the shelf and are the same price here. Ring is right, the .410 are higher priced and the 28ga you either have to go to a gunstore or special order them as not all handle them.
It is to your advantage, the more common ga. shell you use. I did something last year I'd never done before, when Monte and I were hunting, i'd gone off and left my shells at the cabin. Of course he had a 12 ga and I had a 20ga... :lol: ...I found 3 shell in the truck, so that was my ammo for the day... :lol:

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

i have rabbit hunted with a 16 gauge semi auto for years it works perfectly for me..shells are easy to find here..i really like the old gun
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image