T/C contender Question

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

deerhost

T/C contender Question

Post by deerhost »

I just purchased a T/C Contender in .410 gauge with a 10' barrel. I would like to get some feed back from some of you guys on this site that use this gun to hunt rabbits with. I would like to know what size .410 shell ( 3"?) and what size shot you guys are using...DH

brookbro

Re: T/C contender Question

Post by brookbro »

How much did you have to give for it? I'm thinking about buying one before the season opens.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Shot my share with a T/C contender. Both 4's and 6's do the trick, I prefer 4's, I've seen 2 hares killed out to sixty yards, don't recommend it. But they had gotten past us one too many times. Only problem I've had, is snow falling on the hammer, then melting do to holding it, then the slide that lets the hammer travel forward freezes, and doesn't drop out of the way, resulting in the shell not being struck.
Also recommend having a custom bolt made up for the bolt that holds the grip on, with a ring on the end. Then you can fasten a 'lanyard' with a snap to the pistol and the other end to your belt, this may help prevent accidently losing it. I never carry it loaded, until I'm on stand, just cautious.
Paul
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I picked it up used, in 98% condition from Gunbrocker.com for $335. Paul thks for the info. 4s and 6s i'll give it a try.....dh

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

you got a good deal. there are guys here that turkey hunt with them,I don't know if I could hit a rabbit with one but from what I hear they will do the job.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

My Contender patterns best with 2 1/2" shells loaded with #8 magnum shot, works great on rabbits up to about 35 yds.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I Though most guys were using 3" shells......?

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

2.5" shells with #6 shot. I use a Bandito shoulder holster reccomended by someone on this site (THANKS)and it is a great set up. Stay away from Uncle Mikes shoulder holsters for the Contender and a lot of walking-they suck. Pistol Packaging, Inc. is where I bought my Bandito and I love it. You can buy different holster rigs for it too. In fact the shell holders hold .410 or 44 mag shells so I bought a S&W holster for my 44 Classic and use the same the shoulder belt.
I also ahave a stainless Contender with a long barrel and it is light and deadly. I think it has a 22" barrel but I am can't remember for sure. Excellent choice if you just want to use a quality single shot long barrel.

blackrunbeagler

Post by blackrunbeagler »

When I had my Encore with 15" barrel, three inch #5's were awesome. Killed alot.
Aubrey

sgc

Post by sgc »

I didn't like my T/C contender for rabbit hunting. I sold it years ago. It's a real nice gun, but I found that if I really wanted to put rabbits in the pot or shoot one for the young dogs, I would take my pump shotgun. If I was running for fun, I wouldn't carry anything or I would carry a sidearm revolver for coyotes, etc. Just my opinion, but I think a person would be better off with just a single shot youth model shotgun or even a 22 handgun with a long barrel. The single shot youth model shotgun would be a lot cheaper and more accurate.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Great info and tips on the holsters, swival, shell size, shot ......keep it coming
Can you guys hit rabbits fairly well with this gun....?

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I have never owned or fired a contender but I do have a Snake Charmer in a .410 that I would compare to the contender I carried it regularly for years and all in all I couldnt kill squat with it! It was a lot of fun trying but as SGC said to actually hunt a regular shotgun is much more productive. Kurt Robinson
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

deerhost wrote:
Can you guys hit rabbits fairly well with this gun....?
I personally can hit and kill well above average with both my Contenders. It kills them cleanly with not a lot of damage to the meat. I have made 40 yard kills with the ones I own but many times the shots are more like 25 yards away. They pattern well out a long way with the Full choke.
I am not a meat hunter so I really don't care if I kill a pile of rabbits. I like to take a few here and there. I mostly carry for coyote control and peraonal protection when in the the big woods.
Additionally, the 45 Long Colt configuration does well for deer hunting too. I was more than satisfied with the accuracy. My pistol has the 14" barrel and it is balanced.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

My used one came with one choke , Was it supposed to come with multiple chokes?

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

They only come with a Full choke so you are all set.
The shotgun field barrels (long barrel) come with three chokes.
I think you are going to have a lot of fun with your new pruchasse and you got a good deal.