T/C contender Question

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cspot

Re: T/C contender Question

Post by cspot »

I use 3" mags in my super comanche. I started with #6 shot then I switch to 7 1/2 shot and my kill ratio got better. I don't ever want to take the shotgun now that I have the pistol. It is nice to have both hands free and they don't get cold like when carrying the gun. I bought a holster off of ebay. I forget what company it was, but they made their own. They are not as bulky and heavy as Uncle Mike's plus I know it was cheaper. I have not done it but I should shoot some clay pigeons with it to improve my accuracy. They are definately more of a challenge to kill rabbits than with a shotgun, but it is alot of fun. Anybody I know that has bought one just love them.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I use 3" #4s all the time. 25-30 yards they are deadly. Practice with it a lot before season. Mine has the 16" barrel and I had to practice some to get accustomed to swinging so much steel with one hand but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. You can stand in the middle of the thickest stuff and shoot them right off your feet, actually an advantage over long guns.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

jt&z's dad

Post by jt&z's dad »

3" #4's on hare and 3" #6 on cottontails. 60yds isn't quite recommended but I would rather be lucky than good anyday. :biggrin: :bigsmile: Never did find any BB's in that hare. :shock:
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

If you're not sure whether to use 2.5" or 3" shells in your Contender your best bet would be to pattern it at distances you are likely to be shooting at when you shoot a hare and see which one your gun likes best. In .410 I've never had one pattern as well with 3" shells as it does with 2.5".

jt&z's dad

Post by jt&z's dad »

Great advice Dixiedog. I read once that a 3" .410 is the lousiest patterning shell there is. Honestly I have never patterned my Contender with 2.5" shells but with the price of shells climbing so high I will this season for sure. On a side note Both TallPaul and I did witness a friend of ours shoot a sitting cottontail stone cold dead with a 2.5" out of his youth model H&R single shot at a pretty fair distance. I will give them a try on a patterning board out of my Contender and .22/410 O/U.
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

The reason the 2.5" is better patterning than the 3" is due to the "square load" theory. A 12 ga. patterns so well because the diameter of the shell verses overall cartridge length is more square or equal. So in theory, the 2.5" is more suare than the 3" in .410 bore. You will get less flyers and shot stringing out of the 2.5" shell.

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

I bought an Encore last November with a 16" 45/410 barrell. I had a blast using it this past season and will not go back to a long gun. I first used 3" No. 4 shot but quickly switched to #6 shot after I saw that I could only put 2 - 3 pellets in a pop can at 25 yards. I think the No. 6 shot helped tremendously when it came to shooting rabbits. I got very comfortable with my Encore late in the season and killed 8 rabbits in my last 12 shots.
"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

For all that gave tips and info. I just figured I'd post and let you know how the gun patterned. My contender has a 10" barrel with vent rib, I'm shooting it with the front bead and v- rear sight on it. I picked up a box each of , as follows .410 - Winchester 3" #6, Remington 3" # 7 1/2 and a box of remington 2 3/4" #71/2. I shot the contender at 20 -15-10 yards which are usually my shot ranges on rabbits. I put up a 16"X16" piece of paper with a 6" circle drawn on it to mimic a rabbit. I should have never picked up the 3 inch #6 Winchester shells becouse they shot almost a foot high at 20 yards and only 2 pellets hit the 6" center circle. I then shot the Remington 3" #71/2 shells. they to shot high, not as bad as the Winchester #6's but still only 4 or 5 pellets in the 6" ring. I then shot the remington 2 3/4 inch #7 1/2 shot shells and the gun started to pattern a little better. At twenty yards I put anywere from 15-23 pellets in the 6" circle (still a bit skimpy but enough to kill a rabbit). At 25 yards I put less then 10 pellets in the circle. At 15 yards i put 48 pellets in the circle and at 10 yards I put 53 pellets in the circle. A big deference bettween the 3" and the 2 3/4 inch shells. Also a big deference bettween Remington and winchester. All though I was happy with my final results I would like to get a better pattern and a little more range so this weekend I'm going to try some Federal ammo and also some 2 3/4 low brass # 8's and see how they shoot......DH

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Depending on how much you plan on shooting the .410, you may want to consider an inexpensive MEC shotshell reloading press to save some money. You'll save the price of a used press and your components after the first couple hundred. Reloading shotshells isn't for everybody but if you shoot alot it will save you tons of money, it's easy as pie too. Certainly much easier than most people would expect. The .410 uses the least powder and shot but cost the most, go figure.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Dixie, Thanks for the input. I'm also going to try some number 8's since you said that patternd best for you. I,ve only seen Low brass 8's at my local store but I'm going to try to find some high brass mags. You said you have no problem dropping rabbits with the smaller shot?

GA Hound Hunter

Post by GA Hound Hunter »

I have a encore 45/410 that i hunt with. I shoot 3inch #4's bismuth shot, it holds a tighter pattern on out there.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I didn't think of that, may be I'll try some bismith.....Thanks

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

I use the Encore 15 in bbl with 3 in 4 or 6 shot
have a 7mm08 bbl for deer hunting
you guys that use them should look into the Pachmayer Decellerator grips just came out last year they have the sling eyes already on them the recoil is next to nil with the grips and a lot better to hold than the walnut grips cheaper than dirt is the most reasonable price for the above

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Try the 2.5" Winchester AA, in 7.5 shot. I bought 12 boxes last year and will buy about another dozen this year....stocking up before the democrats get in office. Best reloadable hull and the best round out in my 14" barreled Contender. Flat, and will destroy a rabbit from 15 to 30 yards (I have made longer kill shots than 30 yards too, not that it is normally necessary when running dogs on ct). The AA are cheaper, believe it or not and travel at 1300fps. The "so called" game loads are about $5.00 more a box... :roll: ....and are no faster.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

deerhost wrote:Dixie, Thanks for the input. I'm also going to try some number 8's since you said that patternd best for you. I,ve only seen Low brass 8's at my local store but I'm going to try to find some high brass mags. You said you have no problem dropping rabbits with the smaller shot?

I haven't had any problem dropping rabbits with 8's yet. The way they plow over you would think you smacked them with a 12 ga. even with the smaller shot, they go from full speed ahead to full roll sideways most of the time.