New 25-06 - DOES THE JOB!

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglerun

New 25-06 - DOES THE JOB!

Post by beaglerun »

I just got a new H&R 25-06 and I am in love. :kiss: Never thought I would own a single shot, let alone a 25-06. The 30-06 and the 270 may be spending a lot more time in the gun cabinet.

Haven't decided what round I want to shoot in it yet. Any suggestions? I deer hunt mostly, and my longest shot is about 250 yds. Own average, I shoot anywhere between 100-200 yds. Right now the gun is set for 325 yds. I'm sure I am going to change that; just haven't made up my mine yet as to what range. I'm thinking 200 yds.

If any of you shoot a 25-06 give me some input.

Thanks,

BeagleRun

Last edited by beaglerun on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing could be finer!

wvduece

Re: OFF TOPIC - New 25-06

Post by wvduece »

i have had n hunted with several different calibers from 300 weatherby,7mm bar to 7mm-08, 223 30/06 270, 243,22/250 222 im probally leaving some out now to the real caliber in my opinion is the 25/06 fastt flat shooting light recoil mine is a remington 700 i have had 2 25/06s both remington 700's i wouldnt trade my 256/06 for any of the above i belive my longest shot on a deer was 311 yds lots of 250 yd shots killed groundhogs at 350 yds couldnt even see them with naked eye find them with spotting scope the bust them, the scope i use on my 25/06 is a 6 1/2 by 20 leoupold vari x lll ,i shoot 117 gr bullet hand loaded ballistic tips fine caliber dont let anybody tell you they arent big enough caliber its all in the shot placement i usually drop the deer in its tracks if mine goes 20 ft i think something is wrong :roll: :roll: nuf said about my 25/06 ya got a fine gun there just learn how the gun shoots then learn how to shoot it mine is sighted in dead on the money at 250 yds jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

fastnfuriouskennel

Post by fastnfuriouskennel »

Ive got the same gun, make and all. I shoot Remington cor loks though mine, 100 grain. Set in at two hundred, works great on deer and is diedly on coyotes! I think its good shooting little gun, IMO.
Last edited by fastnfuriouskennel on Sun May 04, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your hounds aren't Fast-n-Furious! They might as well be barking up a Tree!

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

wvduece wrote:dont let anybody tell you they arent big enough caliber
That is exactly what happern when I was in college (13-14 years ago). I had been reading a lot of ballistic information and thought the 25-06 was a good choice. I was working in the Sporting Goods department @ Walmart (This Walmart a real Sporting Goods Department) and frequently talked with a local gun smith. Hunters and the Gunsmith all told me not to fool with the 25. Instead, go with the 270 or the 30. The only person who encouraged me was a retired sniper who also worked in Sporting Goods.

Looking back, I know I would have been better off listening to the retired sniper. Alot of the advice he gave me is still with me today. I never forgot the info I had studied, and when the chance came for me to get this gun @ a really good price, I jumped on it. Only wished I had done it some upteen years ago.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Got one in a M77 Ruger that was recently given to me by an old and very dear friend. I bought three types of bullets (Hornandy TNT, Sierra and Nosler) and 100 pieces of Remington brass. I am going to have the action bedded and barrel floated before I shoot it. This gun will never be sold due to the sentimental value. Besides, I like a Mauser (Ruger) style bolts. My problem is... I like them all. ;)
Good choice on the 25-06. :approve:

WestmorelandsKennel

Post by WestmorelandsKennel »

I shoot a 25-06 a redone gun from world war 2 nice gun its dead on with a weaver scope
moving to tennessee hopefully get to use it
in indiana where im at cant hunt with them
Overall definitely the best rifle my opinion
Westmorelands Cookie
Westmorelands Fighting Chance

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

nice gun i like the laminated stock the 25-06 is one of my favorite rounds i have killed alot of deer,ground hogs and yotes with mine and even killed one elk with a 25-06 i reload and use 100gr nosler ballistic if i shoot factory shells my gun seems to like the federal premium shells best i sight mine in at 1.5 inches high at 100yd and its good out to 300yds the 25-06 are nice flat shooting round enjoy the rifle
Last edited by stavemillbeagles on Sun May 04, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

man a 25-06 can shoot 300 yards easy i shoot deer at 300 yards with my muzzel loader no problum i would set it an inch high at 200 and you should be good at 3 and a little low at 4 but still will hit the target :D :D

CHRIS WHITT

Post by CHRIS WHITT »

This post got me thinking and I pulled out my ballistics book and it says that if you shoot a 150 gr bullet and sight your gun in at 25 yds that it will shoot 1 inch high at 100 yds and dead on at 200 and .5 inches low at 300 . Sighting a gun in at 25 yards allows the shooter to fine tune his scope for cuttin hole for hole . It also shows different gr lead and they all shoot so close that at 300 yrds your point of inpact would only vary .5 inches . After reading on this caliber it really impressed me and I may do a little gun shopping .
LP beagler from Kentucky

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

chris if you ever shoot one you will really be impressed 3 different guys that doubted the gun have since shot mine while hunting now they all shoot the 25/06 it convinced them one thing that really convinced one guy n it wasnt that big of a deal but he had never4 seen it done let alone shoot a deer at 250 yds i killed 2 with one shot boy was he really impressed they were just side by side feeding ,that 2 with one shot was my first but could probally do it again just get 2 does together and a lil luck :dance: :dance: :dance: :nod: :nod: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

here are the ballistics for the 25-06
1 inch high at 100yds is going to put 5 inches low at 300yds and thats with a 85grain bullet i've never seen 150 grain bullets for the 25-06
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistic ... ngton.html
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

200 yd. zero Hornady 87 gr. bullet

muzzle:...... -1.5" ...................3,400 fps
100 yd:....... +1.1 ...................3,064 fps
200 yd:......... 0 .....................2,746 fps
300 yd:....... -5.8" ...................2,449 fps

Never heard of a 150 gr. bullet for the 25-06 either.

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

I never thought this thread would generate so much interest. I haven't killed anything with it yet, but I show do enjoy shooting it. I'm going to try to keep it a secret from my dad. I want to wait until I knock something down with it, before I tell him what about it. Then I'll let him shoot it. Since we are so much alike, I will probably have to buy another. Mine will more than likely have a new owner!

There's a member on this board by the name of Wrightboy. He shoots a 25-06, and I can't wait to see him. I have a little :bash: for him. He should have told me how sweet one of these things shoot! :D

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

wright boy

Post by wright boy »

Whats up Beaglerun

I love my 25/06 also. I have killed many with it, including that big 10 pointer on my wall. :D . I have a Ruger single shot, and like the .117 grain BTSP bullets by remington. Like someone said earlier, its all about shot placement. Come on over and lets run this wknd. :lol:
Wright boy

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

Wrightboy,

I'm one step ahead of you. I have been keeping Saturday open just in case ya'll were going running. Let me know what time!

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!