Prices on pistols

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jr Walker

Prices on pistols

Post by Jr Walker »

I was thinking about buying a 9mm. or something in that cal. range that could take care of yotes and wild dogs to carry while running dogs because of yotes and wild dog problems ive been having here lately and was wondering about what a 9mm. runs for and are they hard to learn to shoot and hit with because ive shot a 22. revolver before and couldnt even get close to anything with it but ive never seen anyone hit something with it so im not sure if it was me or the gun lol but thanks for any help u guys might could give me
Walk Away Kennel-----Shelbyville TN.
Jr. Walker

http://www.myspace.com/jrisdaman69

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: Prices on pistols

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

I prefer the Glock. It will never fail you and is very accurate. Go to glocktalk.com and pick one up pretty reasonable. The Glock 19 holds 15 and the Glock 17 holds 17 rounds. Pick up a box of Federal Hi Shock. The Kydex style holsters are cheap and work very well.
Another choice is a Smith & Wesson 629 Classic in 6.5" barrel in 44 magnum. It will take down anything with 4 legs where I live and is very accurate.
Always remember, in most instances you get what you pay for.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i have a smith n wesson 22 mag in a revolver n i can hit cig butts with it killed several squirells the model 629 is a goodun i got one in a 44 mag with a 8 3/8 in barell with a straight 4 power burris scope its too heavu to carry around when just running dogs but its very accurate n deadly i have killed wild boars n goats lots of deer great hunting gun i belive most 9 mm\s are just for shooting lol not really a target pistol lots of good revolvers out there like the ruger single six comes with interchangeable cyls. 22 long rifel / 22 mag i had one n it wazs very accurate n picked up a hitchhiker once n they decided they needed it more than i did :angryfire: :angry: :angry: it ended up in chichago in a robbery the cops contacted me but i had reported it stolen the was suppose to give it back after the robbery case was closed n that was about 8 years ago :angry: :angry: :angry: :argue: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

DaManBeagles

Post by DaManBeagles »

The Taurus Judge is hard to beat for a carry gun while running dogs!
I keep the first two rounds in 410 and the next three 45s.

DaManBeagles
Joel and Joe Roseberry
Terre Haute In
Home if DaMans Lady Luck

BriarCreekBeagles

Post by BriarCreekBeagles »

I bouhgt a Hi-Point 9mm and for the price and warranty you ain't gonna find nothing much better. These guns have a full lifetime warranty if any thing ever goes wrong with the gun all you do is ship it to them and they'll either fix or replace for nothing. Now keep in mind these ain't no comp grade pistol and if you go out and shoot 500 to1000 rounds a weekend it'll wear out pretty quick but if your just gonna shoot 50 or 60 rounds to target practice now and again you'll love it. They make a variety of cal. 9mm 45acp 40cal. and so on and they make two models of handguns, one is a little shorter than the other. The one i shoot is the 9mm longer model it's about 2'' longer than the compact but still easy to carry and conceal. I bought mine for the same reason you need one yotes, I turkey hunt alot and even before i got into beagles I was seein' alot of yotes chasin my birds inthe spring and comin in on the calls and decoys and got tired of it. I pack mine with me when i turkey scout or hunt and have killed yotes as far out as 45 yards with it most were 25 or 30 but It does the job you should be able pick one up at your local gun dealer for about 130$ to 160$. as a matter of fact i shot 4 of them little boogers last spring and i tell you what you let one come in close enough on a tukey setup and 3.5'' load of #5 hevi-shot will do a number on them suckers too.
Good luck and check out there web site

Welcome to the Hi-Point Firearms Website!
This is where you will find our new and featured items. Check back often to see Hi-Point current events and press ...

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/news/news.asp?ID... - 22k - Similar pages

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/news/news.asp?ID=4
"My Goal in life is to be the kind of person my hound thinks I am"
2 Cor. 10:4
Tuff Gun Beagles
Tuff Gun Mr. Breeze, Huff's Briar Bustin Outlaw, Coming home-Lone Acres Ax Grinder

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

Those auto pistols are not very accurate - - actually let me re-phrase that. Most people are not very accurate w/ them. You ought to try and hit a coke can at 30 yards. I'd guess most people are not able to do it very consistently. That being said, more than likely you are not going to get a shot at a coyote at less than 50 yards....and even less chance it will be standing still. Your chances are hitting a yote at that range is going to be very very slim. If you want an auto pistol just for blinking around or home defence then get one, but in my honest opinion, that is about all they are good for.,,,not much use for a sportsman.

If you are worried about yotes, stick a few buckshot shells in your pocket...or carry a light 22 rifle if you are just running dogs.

Good luck,

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

I can keep my Glock 9mm's within 6 inches at 50 yards, within 2 inches at 25 yards and 1 inch at combat range (7 yards). The Glock is one accurate and reliabe semi auto pistol. 99.9% of them will never jam (even if dirty) and with 15 to 19 rounds you can unload on a yote and put one down with ease.
I carry a Glock when running my hounds after gun season on private land. Go to a local gun range and check some experienced shooters shooting their Glocks. The Beretta 92 is another accurate 9mm that can be picked up reasonable used (under $400.00). Again, you get what you pay for. The resale value will continue to hold steady or climb whereas if you buy a piece of junk ... nuff said. I wouldn't want my hounds lives or my personal protection to rely on a Saturday night special. But, do as you please, just giving MHO. Any gun will be better than no gun.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Briarhoppers wrote:Those auto pistols are not very accurate - - actually let me re-phrase that. Most people are not very accurate w/ them. You ought to try and hit a coke can at 30 yards. I'd guess most people are not able to do it very consistently. That being said, more than likely you are not going to get a shot at a coyote at less than 50 yards....and even less chance it will be standing still. Your chances are hitting a yote at that range is going to be very very slim. If you want an auto pistol just for blinking around or home defence then get one, but in my honest opinion, that is about all they are good for.,,,not much use for a sportsman.

If you are worried about yotes, stick a few buckshot shells in your pocket...or carry a light 22 rifle if you are just running dogs.

Good luck,

-Pete
This may be true for some but if you practice with a handgun you will be able to hold decent groups at 50 easy and that is good enough for a yote, worse case scenario you miss and the yote runs off. It's a win win situtation either you kill it or scare it away from your hounds.

makey98

Post by makey98 »

Can you really kill a coyote with a .22 Lr at 50 yards or so? Does anyone have experience with this? If you shoot a cylinder bore 12 gauge would a slug work better than the hevi-shot? Never had any experience with this, just curious?

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

A .22lr at 50 yds will kill a coyote as long as you get a good shot, the biggest problem would be if your shot was off then you would only wound it.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

makey98 wrote:Can you really kill a coyote with a .22 Lr at 50 yards or so? ?
Yes. Although I can think of better caliber choices. Most guys running dogs want to carry a handgun due to the concealabilty and ease of carry. A 22LR can kill a human at 100 yards so it most definitely could kill a yote at 50 yards. Never underestimate a 22LR's killing power. It may drop dead or run off but if hit in the right place will eventually die or be seriuosly crippled.
I personally ike the 9mm, 45acp, or 44 mag but there are many other excellent pistol calibers to choose from.

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

ruger single six,,,,,,22 mag,,,,9'' barrel very accurate,,,,,,,,,
OUR SPORT IS MADE UP OF NEW HUNTERS,,,SO PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!

J-N-M'S HIGHBRIER BLU RUKUS

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I prefer the .32 mag and the .357 mag. Both are strong enough to take care of wild dogs/coyotes. Not too sure about hogs, we don't have them around here. But they tend to be a bit lighter that the .44/.45. Remember, if it is too heavy, and a chore to carry, you will find it home when you need it most.

billfosburgh

Post by billfosburgh »

i carry a .22 colt diamondback. served me well for 25 yrs. iv`e killed all kinds of game with it. hit a yote right with it & it will die. lot of practice is the key nomatter what cal. you shoot
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
CH Andrea`s Cry Baby Emma
CCH Mtn. Views Art of Deception (Sly)
LP B CH LPRCH Big Country`s Mo JO

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

by Pike Ridge Beagles on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:18 pm

I can keep my Glock 9mm's within 6 inches at 50 yards, within 2 inches at 25 yards and 1 inch at combat range (7 yards). The Glock is one accurate and reliabe semi auto pistol. 99.9% of them will never jam (even if dirty) and with 15 to 19 rounds you can unload on a yote and put one down with ease.

Someone is in love with the Glock obviously, but untrue about 99.9% NEVER JAM EVEN IF DIRTY???

I would love to see ANY 9mm from a semi auto hold 6 in groups at 50 yds...never seen it myself, probably never will.
:roll:

Tony
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"