Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Post by Casey Harner »

Going with a G2 Contender Pistol, as seen on this website http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2ContenderPistols.php. Going to purchase No. 3566. I'm used to a beed on my 20 guage. A lot of less weight than my 12 or 20 guage.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

JCM

Re: Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Post by JCM »

We have used them the last several years. They are a lot of fun. Don't kill many rabbits, but it's a whole lot easier to carry and the dogs get used to shooting. :D

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

If I were you i would get the ENCORE instead fo the contender
has a heavier reciever
down the road you might want to put a different bbl on it and the Encore will be better fir that
The felt recoil is somewhat less fron th Encore being a little heavier frame
If you put on a set of the new Pachmeyer Rubber grips it makes it a lot better yet

John O

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Stay with the Contender. It is plenty strong but smaller than the Encore. The Encore is over kill for a 410 and bulkier than the Contender. The new G2 is stronger than the older Contenders; although, the older Contenders are plenty strong - strong enough to shoot the 45/70 round.
I have 3 Contenders and 3 Encores. I have them in several configurations and own a Contender with the 14" barrel. Don't be fooled by the short barrel - deadly. ;)

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

whats the price on the contender
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i have had 2 different contenders the first one i didnt like it would shoot the eye out of a gnat but my hands would tingle for 10 to 15 minutes after i shot it the contender had a 10 in barrell n was a 30/30 cal. the other was a 22 hornet in a 14 in barell now that was one sweet shooting gun it came with 2 barells the 22 hornet also a 270 barell i never shot the 270 but i really ;liked the hornet might try another one in a 410 someday jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

rinkydink

Post by rinkydink »

I don't believe a contender can be had with a 270 barrel. An Encore can be had with one.

I have a contender with a 21 inch 410 vent rib barrel and a Bell and Carlson thumbhole stock. It is a blast to hunt with and is easy to carry.

You will have fun with your contender.

Tom aka rinkydink

flash

Post by flash »

Last year I bought a tauras 45/410 called THE JUDGE . It is a 5-shot revolver with a rifled 6 inch barrel . IT shoots 45 long colt , 410 slugs , (very accurate )and 410 shot . Took a couple boxes of shells to practice but after that I can bang the bunnies really well . So much easier to navigate through the heavy cover when you have both hands free and no gun barrel to hang onto brush . I use a nite-lite belt with suspenders and a leather holster . it's a dream to carry you just have to wait till your close to the truck before shooting too many rabbits so you don't have to carry them too far .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

flash

Post by flash »

sorry anyone interested about $600.00 for everything worth every penny .
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I have the G2 Contender pistol with a 16" .410 barrel, they must have quit making the 16" barrels. If you buy the Contender, get the rubber grip. The walnut is slick when wearing gloves. Kills all the rabbits I want, and I would be hard pressed to ever go back to a long gun. I paid $275 for the action, $50 for the long fore end, and got the barrel for $125, as the place where I ordered the gun had been stuck with someone not picking up the barrel. BTW, why can't you put a rifle stock on a G2 Contender pistol action and a longer barrel?
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

cspot

Post by cspot »

You won't regret it. Once you hunt with a pistol you won't ever want to take a shotgun out again. If you want to kill a ton of rabbits, I would stay with a shotgun. If you aren't planning on buying other barrels for the gun you might want to consider a super commanche it is somewhere between $150 to $200. They shoot good and are pretty light. Not to mention a little easier on the pocket book. No matter which you buy though you won't be disappointed.

Snag

Post by Snag »

Is a .410 pistol legal to hunt with in Ohio ?

rinkydink

Post by rinkydink »

DRamey:

The 16 1/4 inch barrels are hard to come by. If you decide to sell yours, I would definitely be interested. You got a very good price.

You can use a rifle stock with them. The recoil pad on a TC Contender states: "WARNING FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS USE WITH BARREL LESS THAN 16in."

Tom aka rinkydink

flash

Post by flash »

410 pistols are considered shotguns . This is what my dealer told me .
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET

flash

Post by flash »

Also I have a friend that is a hunter education instructor . He took my gun to his last class to show it to the students as a shotgun . sounds legal to me .
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET