Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Operator 181 wrote:In reading about the G2 Contender and Tauras The Judge, How long of a shot can you take and expect to kill a rabbit?
Taurus not very far.
14" Contender - kills out past 30 yards no problem. Gun is deadly. Tight pattern and the finest quality oout there in a 410 pistol. Don't waste your time on the revolvers. Pay the extra money and do it correctly. Less wounded game.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Spencer wrote:I really like my encore with 10" barrel. I carry it in a bandito by http://www.pistolpackaging.com
Talked to the owner today. Going to get one of these rigs. This a small American shop and everything is suede lines and handmade. Real nice folks up in Minnesota too. I'd love to move up there. 10,000 lakes, OMG! I'd be in heaven.

mihunter

Post by mihunter »

I purchased the encore 45/410 about two years ago and love it. What I would suggest buy an encore in the 45/410 as a pistol, that way it is registered as a pistol and if you want to buy a long barrel and buttstock later, you can legaly make the conversion. Rule is, you can make a short gun longer but can't make a long gun shorter. Also the advantage with an encore is the receiver is stonger than a contender, so your options are endless.
Brandon Kantola

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

mihunter wrote: Also the advantage with an encore is the receiver is stonger than a contender, so your options are endless.
I own both and if you don't plan to ever shoot anything with more pressure then the 45/70 then the Contender is much nicer in the 410 pistol configuration. The new G2 Contenders have been beefed up a little from the previous Contenders. Can't go wrong either way. I just feel the Contender is a little handier than the Encore in the pistol configuration and they are twice as strong as most revolvers. Built like a tank. Whatever you choose, it will become your favorite rabbit gun in no time.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Does anyone have a rifle stock and forend that will fit my G2 Contender pistol so I can get a varmint barrel for coyotes, and if not, how much are they? Seems like a Contender with a riflestock in a really flat-shooting caliber that will reach out and punch a hole in a coyote would be sweet.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

With my Encore frame, I have for a pistol:
12" 7mm-08 scoped barrel for deer
12" .223 barrel scoped for coyotes/fox
12" 45/410 for rabbits.
.223 rifle barrel and stock, which is a tack driver, for coyotes
209X50 muzzleloader barrel(rifle length) for deer

one frame does it all.
Last edited by Spencer on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

DRamey wrote:Does anyone have a rifle stock and forend that will fit my G2 Contender pistol so I can get a varmint barrel for coyotes, and if not, how much are they? Seems like a Contender with a riflestock in a really flat-shooting caliber that will reach out and punch a hole in a coyote would be sweet.
Best price is at http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/d ... 1%72%6D%73 but you can also get great deals on used at this forum http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php/board,81.0.html

I personally like barrels made by MGM http://www.matchgrademachine.com/ or http://bullberry.com/encore.html or http://www.coyoteguns.com/index.htm

TC makes great shotgun and rimfire barrels but from my experience their rifle barrels are hit and miss and they do not make a true match grade chamber. Bullet jump is excessive, etc. Yes, they do turn out some tack drivers but the sites I posted above will guarantee MOA accuracy.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Thanks a bunch Pike Ridge, all of you guys are a wealth of information. I had always been under the impression that if you bought a TC pistol, you couldn't make it a rifle. I will check the links you have posted, and remember guys, it's about to be springtime, coyotes will be hungry, good time to thin them some, TC or whatever your poison is.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991

Duke

Post by Duke »

I started off with a Super Commanche with a 10" barrel, it was relatively accurate, but the sites were a major problem for taking a running rabbit. After hunting with Ed, of Pike Ridge and seeing him take a rabbit handily with his rig, I went out and upgraded to the Contender and I have not regretted it one bit. Even got to harvest a few Hare with it up north this year. It is also quite accurate out of the box in 45LC just have to make sure you remember to remove the choke.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

a friend of mine hunted last year with a 410 pistol he hated it. said that if you hunted in thick cover it was not worth much. guess it would take some getting use to especially from shooting a shotgun. ive thought about getting one to hunt with.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Will, when I hunt with the .410 pistol, the thick stuff is not a problem because I get right out in the middle of it. My hunting buddies with long guns have to stand in the path to swing the barrels, but I get 5-10 yard shots when I'm right in there with the bunnies. If you stand next to the guys with long guns, it is a problem. I had to adjust my hunting style some when I started using the pistol, but I found it more fun to be right in the middle of the action anyway.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

D Ramey, my 14" Contender throws a nice pattern out past 30 yards, no problem. I think you'll be amazed at this gun's range. In fact, don't shoot them too close or you'll destroy the rabbit. The full choke on this gun really throws a fanstastic pattern. Do head shots up close.
Good luck and let us know when you get set up. :approve:

Ed/PRB

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:
Operator 181 wrote:In reading about the G2 Contender and Tauras The Judge, How long of a shot can you take and expect to kill a rabbit?
Taurus not very far.
14" Contender - kills out past 30 yards no problem. Gun is deadly. Tight pattern and the finest quality oout there in a 410 pistol. Don't waste your time on the revolvers. Pay the extra money and do it correctly. Less wounded game.

Although I agree that the Taurus revolver is not any good for rabbit hunting the Magnum Research BFR .410 is every bit as good a quality as the Thompson and you get follow up shots. The BFR has a 3 changeable chokes and will effectively kill rabbits 30+ yds the same as a Contender. The BFR costs more than a Thompson Contender but it does give you follow up shots and I shoot more accurate with mine.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

DIXIEDOG wrote:
Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:
Taurus not very far.

Although I agree that the Taurus revolver is not any good for rabbit hunting the Magnum Research BFR .410 is every bit as good a quality as the Thompson and you get follow up shots. The BFR has a 3 changeable chokes and will effectively kill rabbits 30+ yds the same as a Contender. The BFR costs more than a Thompson Contender but it does give you follow up shots and I shoot more accurate with mine.
Don't need any follow up shots but if you do better get the BFR. :lol:
Seriously, Magnum Research makes some fine "stuff." Always wanted a Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. How much does that BFR weigh? Does it come with wheels? :)

Home Wrecken beagles

Post by Home Wrecken beagles »

i am really considering a 410 pistol and i apprecieate all the good info you all have suplied