Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DIXIEDOG

Re: Going to carry a 410 pistol next rabbit season.

Post by DIXIEDOG »

The .410 Contender is a blast but don't expect the same kill ratio unless the rabbits are close. I took some clays and set them out at known distances and was able to break them out to 35 yds but that is with a still target, leading a rabbit with a handgun is a trick. I just ordered a BFR in .410 to give me 5 shots instead of 1, not that I need them but well you know :biggrin:

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Snag wrote:Is a .410 pistol legal to hunt with in Ohio ?
Yes, and a 22 LR if you so desire. 50BMG even. :shock: :nod:

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

they are considered pistols because they have a rifled barrel.federal law says a shotgun must havea 24" barrel.i just purchased a ss encore with a 15" 410 barrel.i'm hooked.it adds an extra level of excitement and no big gun to carry around.only got 2 rabbits out of 5 shots.the encore has a vent rib and a choke tube for shooting the 410.you remove the tube to shoot 45 lc.it is lighter than it looks and there are more barrels in more calibers.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

J-BudDaRuda1531

Post by J-BudDaRuda1531 »

A shotgun, a long gun with a smooth bore, is prohibited by Fed law to have anyting shorter than an 18" bbl measured from the face of the breach head (where the firing pin is). There is an overall length restriction but I don't recall the length. The contender with shorter bbl will have rifling in the bore and although it doesn't meet the overall length requirement of the law, because it is rifled it is classified as a handgun. Same goes with other "pistols" being sold as "shotguns" like theTauras 'The Judge'. They are infact handguns by law and must have rifling to be legal by fed. law. In most states to use these guns you must have a handgun hunting license or stamp. I stick with my Ruger MKI 22 LR handgun on those days I want my hands free and just want to hear the dogs run instead of eating hossenheffer. :nod:
'Wisdom' is to fear GOD

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

For the record, Kentucky is not one of the states that requires a separate handgun license, a regular small-game license is all that is necessary. I'm glad, licenses are getting expensive, and I am having to buy more of them as the young'us get older.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

I bought an Encore Pistol back in the fall and have used it all season. I love it. I will not go back to a shotgun. It took a little time getting used to but not much. I am 8 rabbits for my last 12 shots and thats no lie. I wasnt doing that w/ my shotgun but I was shooting a little more eratically with the shotgun... I'm using 6 shot 3" mags. The dogs have had to catch several that I have shot but thats good for them.. I reccomend the pistol.... :D
"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

randy blankenship

Post by randy blankenship »

how much does the contender cost?

Snag

Post by Snag »

Do you need a hand gun license in Ohio?

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I really like my encore with 10" barrel. I carry it in a bandito by http://www.pistolpackaging.com

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Spencer wrote:I really like my encore with 10" barrel. I carry it in a bandito by http://www.pistolpackaging.com
I like that rig. I have a 14" barrel but am thinking about trading it for a 10"

NO, you don't need a license in Ohio to hunt with a pistol. Thank God, this ain't Taxachussetes, land of the royal Kennedys, yet. That will come after the Democrats get back in power.

dogwhisperer

Post by dogwhisperer »

talked to the game wardner here in ohio yesturday he said you could only use a pistol on public land after january 1st unless using a lawful pistol to hunt deer and he said after january 1st you could only use the shotgun shells in a 410 and not the 45.if you are hunting privat ground do as you please
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE

randy blankenship

Post by randy blankenship »

randy blankenship wrote:how much does the contender cost?

dogwhisperer

Post by dogwhisperer »

my contender g2 cost around 225 for the frame and i paid 100 bucks for a 16 in stainless steel barrel but i dont think you can get the 16 any more and the other barrels are around 200 to 250
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE

Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Been carrying the same outfit as Spencer for three seasons and I wouldn't trade it for a long gun now. I have found that I hit alot more than I miss with it.. I had been using #4 shot in 3 inch and just recently changed to #5 in 3 inch.. I think it gives more range and better knock down power without filling the meat with shot... My barrel is 14" and some of my buddies have the 10" version and they seem to miss more often... I wear a shooting type glove that has a good grip in the palm and I shoot it one handed... it's much easier to follow through when leading a running rabbit with one had... I wouldn't reccomend this style of shooting to someone with small hands...

Operator 181

Post by Operator 181 »

In reading about the G2 Contender and Tauras The Judge, How long of a shot can you take and expect to kill a rabbit?
Romans 6:23