can mange be in a male dogs blood and shows no sign

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Donnie

can mange be in a male dogs blood and shows no sign

Post by Donnie »

A buddy has a good male beagle perfect hair thick like a dogs hair should be .has breed him to to different females pups get about 4 weeks old the mothers hair starts coming out breaks out in a rash then it hits the pups same way both females were in different boxes no where close to one another pups were born 6 months apart hair starts coming out scratching all the time bumps from head to tail
weasle

outrider66

Re: can mange be in a male dogs blood and shows no sign

Post by outrider66 »

IVE HEARD OF SOMETHING CALLED RED MANGE THATS TRANNSMITTED THROUGH THE FEMALES. A BUDDY OF MINE HAD THIS PROBLEM IN A PLOTT FEMALE FRON NC.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Vet says it is hereditary.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

It is my understanding that demodetic mange [also known as red mange ] is an auto-immune disease and is genetically linked.All dogs have the mange mites living on them that cause demodetic mange but it is only in dogs that possess the auto-immune deficiency that the mites take hold and cause the problems of hair loss,intense itching,scabs,pustules,etc. In dogs that don't have the auto-immune issue the mites cause no problems.This is a recessive trait obviously as most dogs don't get that type of mange.But,if two dogs carrying that recessive are bred than chances are you'll end up with some of the litter developing it sometime down the road.
That being said,I wouldn't expect the two females/mothers to suddenly develop it where they'd never had it previously.I've never heard of or seen where 4 week old pups develop it.It usually occurs when the young dogs are approaching puberty around 8-12 months old.
I saw it in some coon dog litters 25 years ago and the treatment then was dipping the dogs in Amatraz and giving them a daily dose of Ivomec for 30 days straight.Some dogs recover completely with this and never show it again.Others never can get free of it and it's a life long issue.
I would more likely think that the pups have what is called puppy pyoderma.This is a condition that the vets.and vet. manuals will tell you is caused by unsanitary conditions in the whelping box.It's easily treated with Amoxycillin [ I believe--pink liquid ].I don't know but would guess that if the pups have it maybe the same thing is happening to the dams???
I'm no vet. but have been keeping hounds for close to 50 years now and have seen a few things.
Maybe this helps.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Will pass it along to him his boxes are cleaned daily and washed out monthly with bleach water so can't be from dirty pens or welping boxes......he's at a loss he died the first female and pups in reg dog dip..may end up going to the vet and get blood work dome on all to get to the bottom of it .thanks
weasle

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Vet told me exactly what Dana said . Had a female around 6 yrs old , start showing signs of what I thought was mange . Used a mange med . from Happy Jack right away , got it cleared up , well I thought . the next year in mid summer it was back but 100 X worse she was red all over , loss of hair and scratching relentless . Took her to the vet , where he scrapped some skin cells onto a glass slide & look with microscope , said red mange or deromspictic mange their the same . Said it was genetic along with everything Dana said . Ivomic 2 cc daily until I saw clearing . It never did infact got worse , I could not stand to see her like that , I put her down . Vet said not to breed her that it would show back up at some point . Only time I ever saw this .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Are the two dams kin to one another? Very rare that both litters have this. Never seen it in two at the same time and only two totally and they were 20 years apart and of different breeding.

I go with Shady Grove, bedding being used, straw, hay, cedar, pine, is tainted somehow or something they are touching is causing this. Could even be all the washing being done and coming from the chemicals in the cleaning materials being used If two differtent chemicals are being used, they might not get along. Could also be something they are eating.
Hope all goes well and clears up.

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Kin way back in there pedigree said the 1 female was her 3rd litter never had any problems till now breed both females to the same male .
weasle

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Ya know when a bitch has puppies and "blows her coat", it's from the stress of whelping and caring for the puppies plus the nutrients they're pulling from her. If there's a time for the mites to over power her immune system this along with the wet weather will do it. Puppies have to build their immune system and mama's short on helping them with her milk being her system is under stress.
You used to be able to get a sulfadine medicated shampoo, or just dust the mama and the pups with Flower of Sulfur powder from the drug store. You can ivomec the mama's but not the puppies, they'll get some through her milk.
I agree with the others, it is a sign of a weakened immune system but weather and stress can bring it to surface. Remember the old phrase, "worry yourself sick", that's where it cam from, stress/worry can weaken the immune system till your more susceptible to sickness.
I remember one time Randall spoke of a neighbor who fed a poor quality feed and all her pups were nearly bald by the time they were ready to be homed. The folks found out that when they returned the pups to a good quality feed the hair grew back in and they were nun the worse for wear. The cheap price she put on getting shed of the mangy looking pups ran Randall out of business for awhile.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I know of a kennel up north with a certain females offspring that had demodectic mange.
It would clear from not running and letting the hair grow back.
As soon as the hounds were ran a few times, it came right back due to stress.
3 or 4 of the litter (females sold and placed in different homes as pups) had it and eventually after treatments of many kinds, the hounds were put down.
It IS hereditary, do not breed!
Last edited by Swampman on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

I haft to agree hate to see him put the down but to save future problems gona haft to. He Called to vets they almost said the same thing .thanks for all the info
weasle

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

It's in the females, stress of whelping the pups causing the mange to come to a head in the female and she's passing it on to her pups genetically.
Tough pill to swallow, but the female and the pups should be disposed of.
Good luck.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

my buddys vet also told him it was hereditary and his plott female never showed any sign of mange until she had a litter of pups. And if I remember correctly it only comes/
or passed on through females.