Need suggestions on how to give medicine

List Beagling Related Items only here.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

big w beagles

Need suggestions on how to give medicine

Post by big w beagles »

Any secrets on how to give a dog her medicine (pill & capsule) for an injured neck. I've tried hiding them in food but snifs them out and spits them out. Her neck is too sore to force the pills down.

rogbarrier

Re: Need suggestions on how to give medicine

Post by rogbarrier »

Try putting the medicine in a spoonfull of peanut butter on a 1/2 piece of light bread.

JCM

Post by JCM »

Crush the pill. I just use pliers. Then put it in something the dog can't resist. I usually just mix it with a little dog food in water. Give it a couple of minutes to dissolve and they will eat it right up.

warddog

Post by warddog »

JCM wrote:Crush the pill. I just use pliers. Then put it in something the dog can't resist. I usually just mix it with a little dog food in water. Give it a couple of minutes to dissolve and they will eat it right up.
Exactly what I do. I put the pill or capsule in about a cup of hot water in the feed pan the previous night so that it dissolves. I add their ration of feed after the pill dissolves so that it soaks up the water. If the dog is still finicky about gobbling it up and acting like they can smell it, I put a little bacon grease in the mix to try to help camouflage the smell. You know everything is better with BACON!

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

I put the pill in there mouth and hold there mouth shut until they swallow, only takes a few seconds usually. if they wont swallow just hold there chin up and rub there neck gently. Has worked for me for years. Good luck!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Tonight Taz got his pill in a chunk of beef fat. the sirloin sure was good off the grill.
I usually tuck it in a piece of meat or fat, they don't be picky when thers 2 or 3 other noses poking to get it... :nod: piece of hotdog works good too, they swallow whole.

Hunter Two

Post by Hunter Two »

yoteslayer wrote:I put the pill in there mouth and hold there mouth shut until they swallow, only takes a few seconds usually. if they wont swallow just hold there chin up and rub there neck gently. Has worked for me for years. Good luck!!
X2 I toss the pill too back side of the mouth.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Thanks for all the suggestions. All the suggestions were methods that i have used over the years, but in this case, the dogs's neck was too sore for some of the methods to be used. The pain pill being used was so bitter that she could not be tricked into eating. The only way that I found that worked was to dissolve the pain pill in water and use a syringe to squirt down her throat. She is 12 days out from being injured, she is doing better. She looks better these last couple days after stopping the nerve medicine. The nerve repairing medicine she was taking caused her to shake and have very little control of her legs. She looked terrible and could not function. I stopped the meds and now she is acting more normal. She still needs alot of rest and I don't know if she will ever return to hunting. I realize that stopping the meds might be the wrong move, but the dog was so miserable with them. Again, thanks.