Need advice: Whats the right price for this hound?

List Adult and Started Hounds for Sale here.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SwampBuck

Need advice: Whats the right price for this hound?

Post by SwampBuck »

1st off, this hound is NOT for sale here. I am just trying to get an idea of what she is worth since I have been offered some decent coin. 1st, I am a gun hunter that has never trialed. For shits in giggles, I entered her in a trial in 90* temp and she won! She hasnt been run 2 weeks before the trial. Since then, I have entered her in a total of 5 trials and she has a 1st and a 4th place in only 5 trials. She has never been pulled either. She is under 3yrs old, 14.5" built for speed, has a HUGE(but not the biggest ive ever seen) nose and uses it correctly. Runs the line like she is tied to it. Her strength is tough checks. She stands out in every pack I run her with and have been told that on more than 1 occasion. Remember, I am a gun hunter 1st and a relatively new beagler(5yrs deep) I know its hard to judge without seeing her run, but roughly what would a hound like this go for? TIA

SwampBuck

Re: Need advice: Whats the right price for this hound?

Post by SwampBuck »

IMG00797.jpg
IMG00797.jpg (252.32 KiB) Viewed 2901 times

midvalleybeagles

Post by midvalleybeagles »

There is a big difference in price depending on what kind of trial it was Was it ukc akc arha and if akc was it license trials or derbys also what is her age and her bloodline

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

Thanks or your reply She has only been in 5 AKC LP licensed trials won in a field of 31 and 4th in a field of 19. She was whelped 12/7/08

---------------IFC Melanson Ranger Dan
----------Round Pond Flash (HM83723503)
---------------Round Pond Hooter
-----White Mountain Rebel (HP23511904)
---------------FTCH Moneysunk Mountain Man
----------Awful Bawlin Tiny Bubbles (HP10425804)
---------------Dog Barking Babe

---------------FC Valley View Spinner
----------Valley View Spinner II (HM97260005)
---------------Laurel Hill's Donna
-----Cold River Hammerin Heidi (HP11339304)
---------------FC Hog Hollow Harvey
----------FC Lone Willow Sassea Sarah (HM96767703)
---------------NLPC FC Dixie Hill Belle

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

If she is what I am looking for I am confident in saying I would pay 1500-2000 for her without much doubt if I liked her, JMO.

midvalleybeagles

Agree with jim start at 1500 and could go to 1800 and up depending on how bad someone wanted her but 1500 seems to be the going rate for a win I like her pedigree by the way pretty dog also

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

Thanks guys, anyone else have an opinion?

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Golly? $1500 to $1800? Not in my state. Depending on what she could do in the wild, $300 to $500 max.

warddog

Post by warddog »

A hound will go for whatever someone will pay for it but I'm with BBB on this and the dog better be packing a whole lot more than that hardware. Fact is for $1500.00 to $2000.00 I'd be expecting to see gold rather than brown when I lifted it's tail. Being just a rabbit hunter you then must understand that a rabbit dinner a dog produces only cost the price of a couple shotgun shells.

midvalleybeagles

Hey bucks beagles if u can find me 10 females with a akc license win for 300 bucks ill buy all 10 Fact being u wont find any at all for 300 unless its 12 yrs old with kidney failure Now boys I ain't saying I agree with theese prices at all because alot of the time a dog with one win has been in 100the trials to get one win so there is a underlining problem with the hound. Heres one. http://espomagazine.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=36783and one with 2 wins http://espomagazine.com/board/viewtopic ... hlight=win and another http://espomagazine.com/board/viewtopic ... hlight=win and another http://espomagazine.com/board/viewtopic ... hlight=win and one more and im going to bed http://espomagazine.com/board/viewtopic ... hlight=win

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

I asked this question because I wasn't sure. But 1 thing I do know, is that if a dog the same age could circle a rabbit solo, I could get 400-450 all day long.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Buck, I have several dogs that can circle a rabbit solo for sale right now and I'm having trouble getting $300 a piece. I have bought a female with a win and paid $1000 plus a pup when bred. She never finished. I paid $2000 for a champion with 7 wins, so I think $1500 - 1800 is strong. A 15" hound may be worth more than a 13", but I don't know why. I would say $1000 - 1200 is in the correct range.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Boys, I would like to have a dollar for every dog that I have seen that has achieved a win or place or two in a trial or two but never went any further. Around here $300 to $400 will buy you a real good dog. If you don't believe it, I can show you. I bought a nice $100 dog the other day that will jump and run his own rabbit with a ton of speed. Pedigreed up the ying yang. I have a 2 year old that I gave $250 for that is out of Hustspurs Woodlot Hemi that is the absolute total package. All my dogs are under two years old, well bred and will do what they are referenced to do. None of them were big money dogs.

HattarasBob: Send me info on the $300 dogs that can solo a rabbit. I am always interested. Especially if they are relatively young. As for the $1200 ones. Wouldn't care if they could walk on water. They could never be my cup of tea.

Just saying to the thread originator that, in my area, the price this dog would bring. There isn't a lot of dog money in Michigan. This dog does not indicate a lot of potential to make money either. Illogical, to give $1200 for a dog expecting no return.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

What trial format causes a dog with a win to go up that much in price?

I really didn't know it made that much difference. Surely it doesn't in Alabama.

Looks like all the old dog traders around here would be trialing for a win instead of going to trade days and buying dogs to sell to make $10.00 to $50.00.

No wonder so many get mad at calls and judges as this is big money being fought for and not just a dog sport like I thought.

HTKENNELS

Post by HTKENNELS »

Brass is expensive . There a lot of difference in ahound that has won in LP against 39 hounds compared to a trade hound that can circle his own rabbit..Finished hounds that are hard going run the fr, will start at 1000.00 at my house. I have clients waiting on the 2 yr. olds