Undershot

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagle Huntsman

Undershot

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Do any of you have experience with undershot bites? I have a 12 week old male puppy, mostly show bred, who is slightly undershot. What are the chances it will correct itself when the adult teeth come in? He's gorgeous in every other way, so I'm hoping.....

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

You know while watching the Euk Nats this last go around it sure looked to me like a lot of dogs have this fault showing,, (close up shots of judge going over the heads)..... How many hounds are perfect on this issue is what I'd like to know????

Crew Chief

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

crewchf wrote:You know while watching the Euk Nats this last go around it sure looked to me like a lot of dogs have this fault showing,, (close up shots of judge going over the heads)..... How many hounds are perfect on this issue is what I'd like to know????

Crew Chief
We do not keep hounds without a scissors bite. I have had to place absolutely Lovely puppies in pet homes with an off bite and its really hard but, I will not keep a dog with a under or overshot bite. What breeds did you see with off bites?
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Leah,, It seemed like the working group had the most but maybe the camera angle was causing it!!! I'm sure its hard to see right on TV???

Crew Chief

PS Oh Ya,,, if you need to place a puppy... Me and Donna'll take one!!!!!

TOUCHSTONEBGLS

Post by TOUCHSTONEBGLS »

crewchf, those top winning show dogs on tv do not have disquallified bites. Poor bites are not acceptable by reputable breeders.
I have heard that the lower jaw is the slowest growing bone in the dogs body. So a slightly overshot bite may correct itself. But no guarantee of that. An undershot bite is a bad thing. A dog with a disquallification of this type should not be bred. It is genetic.
Structure: The winning edge!
Hunting Beagles Bred For FORM AND FUNCTION
GRCH/GRHBCH White River Beau Of Touchstone
HBCH/CH Touchstone's Whimsical Dream

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Looks like I'm a needing 5 bullets,, none of my bunch are perfect!!!!!!!! But they chase rabbits real good,,,,,, boy Mrs Crew Chiefs gonna be sick when I tell her tonight we gotta shoot em cause of this!!!!!!!!!!!

Crew Chief

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

TOUCHSTONEBGLS wrote:crewchf, those top winning show dogs on tv do not have disquallified bites. Poor bites are not acceptable by reputable breeders.
I have heard that the lower jaw is the slowest growing bone in the dogs body. So a slightly overshot bite may correct itself. But no guarantee of that. An undershot bite is a bad thing. A dog with a disquallification of this type should not be bred. It is genetic.
It certainly depends on the breed of dog. Many breeds have no "bite" standard in their breed standard and some breeds require an undershot bite. I watched the show from the audience and have yet to see it on TV so, I can't say what these dogs bites looked like. Camera angles can do funny things so, who knows? Our own beagles standard calls for "Jaws Level" what the heck does that mean?

leah
Life's a trip

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Oh Thank GOD!!!!!!!! Leah, does this mean I don't have to shoot my dogs?????

Crew Chief

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

crewchf wrote:Oh Thank GOD!!!!!!!! Leah, does this mean I don't have to shoot my dogs?????

Crew Chief
exactly.. they may live to see another day!!! LOL I really don't see why the bite is that important in a scent hound anyway. Its not like a bird dog that has to retreive. A level bite would not bother me terribly but, over or under is outta here!

Leah
Life's a trip

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Leah,,, we may have to shoot Bugzy if we don't get his thingy dingy working RIGHT!!!!!!!! (Inside Joke Everybody)

Crew Chief

PS All kidding aside I was told by a bench judge that only the females need a perfect bite for cutting the embilical cords after the pups are born...

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

crewchf wrote:Leah,,, we may have to shoot Bugzy if we don't get his thingy dingy working RIGHT!!!!!!!! (Inside Joke Everybody)

Crew Chief

PS All kidding aside I was told by a bench judge that only the females need a perfect bite for cutting the embilical cords after the pups are born...
I'm sure his "winky" is fine!! :shock:

I never let bitches whelp on their own if I can help it but, you are probably right about that. I've had one or 2 sneak up on me and whelp by themselves and they did fine.
Life's a trip

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Crew Chief

PS Oh Ya,,, if you need to place a puppy... Me and Donna'll take one!!!!!

Are ya gonna feed it that EUKanUBA dawg food!!!??? :twisted:

Leah
Life's a trip

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

But of course,,,,,,,, nothing but the finest for my bunch!!!!!!!!! Now listen,, I want one that looks like the beagle in Cindys (Honeypot) last avatar!!! OK??? You got one??? Euk says they are the only pet food company that passes human food inspections.. They even say they have a better record then lots of human food companies.. Lastly they say they've never had a bad report at any plant of theirs!!! Thats why I use it,, I TRUST THEM!!!! Do you think they'd lie about that??? Just wondering!!!

Crew Chief

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

OK??? You got one??? Euk says they are the only pet food company that passes human food inspections.. They even say they have a better record then lots of human food companies.. Lastly they say they've never had a bad report at any plant of theirs!!! Thats why I use it,, I TRUST THEM!!!! Do you think they'd lie about that??? Just wondering!!!
Well, I just don't believe everything I hear. Their plants are most likely no better than any other high end dog food plant. If you like the food use it but, I just didn't care for my dogs condition on it so, no matter what they put in it, it didn't work for me which for me is the bottom line. I never thought people would be poisoned by Spinach either did you?

Leah
Life's a trip

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Nope,, Point well taken Leah!!!!!

Crew Chief