Table Tricks

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Honey Pot Hounds

Table Tricks

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Here is the place to share your table/bench secrets! Everybody must have one?

Mine? Place the front paws right up to the front edge of the table with the tips touching the edge. It helps to keep your Beagle behaving as she doesn't want to fall off so if she is going to move it will be backwards or sideways.... usually ;)

Also, this gives the judge plenty of room to really feel those awesome laid back shoulders she's got ;)
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

TC

Post by TC »

OK, here is the senario I am having trouble with the opposite direction poster.. He is pulling back so looks like I have ski slope for front legs can you give me a tip to get him to stop this, tried pullin the tail, tried the back feet on the edge to no avail.... Any time I will try thanks
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Honey Pot Hounds

TC I have observed handlers taking their thumbnail of the left hand as they are steadying the rear of the dog and point it into the dogs haunch si as the dog pushes back it gets jabbed REAL GOOD. They have their hand spread basically over the dogs whole rear and make it painful for the dog to keep pushing into the hand.....at least that's what it LOOKS like to me! :shock:
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

ky joe

Post by ky joe »

I have a question cindy. Im a guy so i dont have long thumb nails. u got anymore ideas that might help???? :???: ty

Honey Pot Hounds

Grow one? LOL.
I would think the pressure of your finger/thumb would be enough......or just holding your whole hand steady there like a wall so she cannot back up. Most Beags learn to behave on the bench with practise and age.
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

ky joe

Post by ky joe »

I got another question. I have a black & tan female, she stands perfect on a table, you couldnt ask for a dog to stand better, but when you put her showing with other dogs, she bows her back up. any ideas????

Thanks

Honey Pot Hounds

Does she tuck her tail as well?
How old is she?

I think that usually this occurs when the dog is omega or nervous and
uncomfortable in the surroundings. Basically insecure. It's a tough one and it's pretty hard to win if your dog doesn't show some confidence and "LOOK AT ME! AREN'T I GREAT!?" attitude in the ring...I have a little bitch going through a stage of this...it better be a stage as she is almost a finished Champion and not quite a year old.
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

TC

Post by TC »

I have seen this problem Before and it is usually Due to socialization Just being around strange dogs Not real confident yet, they will usually Pull out of it. If you can get the dog exposed as much as possible to other hounds and surroundings. Do you have any Dog classes in your area Such as maybe even a 4H group or Just a Dog park around will do. Another thing you can try is taking the dog with you to crowded areas. The more they are exposed the better they seem to get.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

ky joe

Post by ky joe »

well, i have showed her 5 times and got 4 best females, She just starts acting up when i go for best of show.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

So maybe the males make her nervous? Try to place her so that the males won't have their noses up her butt, or if it makes her nervous to be the one with her nose up a male's butt, try for the first slot on the bench where her back's to everyone and leave enough space so the dog behind her doesn't touch her. Just a thought.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

If your dog is leaning backwards, put you hand in the middle of his chest and try to push him back even farther. He will resist and will push forward and correct himself.

hesres

Post by hesres »

Big AL is right. Dog will push against force. When he is rocked back, if you try to push him forward, he wll push back even more. You want to exert force opposite of what you really want him to do. If you want him to stand forward try exerting force to move him back. He should push forward.

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

Do not do anything negative to the dog on the bench. No poking, pinching, or even nail trimming. Avoid anything the dog doesn,t like while he is on the bench. From now on, everything on the bench is fun. Give him confidence that on the bench is a good place. Use treats, praise or anything that makes the dog happy. Rubbing his chest will be better than trying to push him or pull him forward. Lots of praise when he leans into himself. Very short lessons (5 min) with play before and after.Dan
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

blunder

Post by blunder »

TOUCHSTONE
Is on the right track IMHO
But one trick that might help, as you are putting the dog up on the table hold it so that its claws can tuch the surface but not its feet. Then drag the claws across the surface of the table. You will find that the dogs tendency is to stand perfectly still when you set in on the table when you do this.
Then (at home, not in the ring) get a can of Cheez-wiz. With the dog stacked with its front feet at the edge of the table, hold the can of Cheez-Wiz out front of the dog so that it will need to lean forward to reach it as the cheese is dispenced. Do this often so that it becomes natural for the dog to lean forward insted of back when stacked.
You can also use the cheez-wiz to get a dog to hold its head up instead of strate out.
Both, leaning back or holding its head down are nothing more than not being comfortable on a table.

tom
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

buckridge

Stacking your dog

Post by buckridge »

The whole secret is starting early and working with you puppies both in the ring and if you hunt,get them out and work with them.
We start working with our show pups when they are 6-8 weeks old on the table and on the ground.
We work with our field pups the same way.

Best of luck
Jim