Black Lung

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Newt

Black Lung

Post by Newt »

Coal workers' pneumoconiosis (CWP), more commonly referred to as black lung disease or just black lung, is caused by long exposure to coal dust. It is a common affliction of coal miners and others who work with coal, similar to both silicosis from inhaling silica dust, and to the long-term effects of tobacco smoking[citation needed]. Inhaled coal dust progressively builds up in the lungs and is unable to be removed by the body; this leads to inflammation, fibrosis, and in worse cases, necrosis.

Mike, PM just when did the republicans take away the protection of mine workers.

I haven't looked but I'll bet neither budget, mentioned in the article, has shrunk one cent since the agency was established.

Big Mike

Re: Black Lung

Post by Big Mike »

Newt wrote:

Mike, PM just when did the republicans take away the protection of mine workers.

I haven't looked but I'll bet neither budget, mentioned in the article, has shrunk one cent since the agency was established.

Newt don't just throw out some off the wall bs , and hope some of it sticks. Do the research, gather some facts, you might learn something. Reagan, the Bush family, and current Republican majority , have done everything possible to block improvements in mine worker safety.

In 1995, 1996, 2010 all Democratic administrations, and all put forth mine safety legislation, with a focus on Black Lung and silica exposure. Each of these proposals were blocked by Republicans, at request of the mine operators lobby.

A roadmap for reform

Even before the reappearance of black lung, the need for change was apparent. A proposed MSHA rule led to hearings in 1978, during which miners testified to widespread manipulation of dust samples. That proposal stalled and was withdrawn by the Reagan administration.

In 1995, NIOSH reviewed the scientific evidence and concluded that the limits for both coal dust and silica should be cut in half and periodic medical exams for miners should be enhanced. The same year, the secretary of labor appointed a committee to determine how to eliminate black lung. (Clinton administration)

The committee’s report offered a roadmap for reform. It recommended that MSHA consider lowering the coal mine dust standard. It suggested the agency reduce miners’ silica exposure and establish a separate limit for this more potent type of dust. Samples should be taken while the mine was producing at least 90 percent of what it normally did, the panel said, and samples should be adjusted to reflect longer work shifts.

Perhaps its strongest recommendation: “The committee believes that the credibility of the current system of mine operator sampling to monitor compliance with exposure limits has been severely compromised. … One of MSHA’s highest priorities should be to take full responsibility for all compliance sampling.”

In July 2000, MSHA proposed a rule that would have adopted some of these recommendations. Before the rule became final, though, George W. Bush took office, and the rule died.

“It’s really fairly remarkable that we came up with these recommendations back in 1996 during a Democratic administration, and nothing has happened,” said David Wegman, who was chairman of the committee and is now an emeritus professor at the University of Massachusetts Lowell’s School of Health and Environment.

History may be repeating itself. MSHA proposed a rule in 2010 that would cut the overall limit for dust in half and require companies to use continuous personal dust monitors, which would provide real-time measurements. The current pumps have to be sent to a lab, where analysis can take weeks. ( new reforms being held up by Mitch Mcconnel , and the Republican majority from coming to a vote)

Under the rule, the samples would be weighted to account for shifts longer than eight hours, and companies could be cited for a single sample over the limit — rather than an average of five — or a weekly accumulation of exposure above a certain limit. The rule would also expand the free X-ray monitoring program to include lung function tests and medical assessments
Big Mike

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Newt wrote:

here is just one example

FRANKFORT, Ky. – With no explanation and little discussion, the House budget bill passed this month slashed Gov. Steve Beshear’s proposals for mine safety by nearly $2.3 million a year — raising concerns among safety advocates that there might not be enough money to conduct required inspections.

Beshear had proposed using $7.6 million of coal severance tax revenues in each of the next two years for the state program that inspects and licenses coal mines. But the budget bill passed by the House reduces that to $5.3 million per year.

Overall, when including other state funding for the Office of Mine Safety and Licensing, the House cut represents a 15 percent reduction, compared to Beshear’s proposal — from $14.7 million to $12.4 million in 2014-15 and from $14.9 million to $12.6 million in 2015-16.
Big Mike

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

And another example....

OSHA has long been on the front edge of the divide between labor and management, and Democrats and Republicans. Where during the Bush administration the agency stressed voluntary compliance with worker safety standards on the part of business, the Obama administration stepped up enforcement. It hired more inspectors and increased OSHA's budget.

Now, Republicans in control of the House are trying to push the pendulum back. As part of their drive to cut about $61 billion from federal spending in the current fiscal year, they've targeted OSHA for a $99 million reduction.

"The Republicans have proposed a 20 percent cut and given [that] half a year's over, that really means a 40 percent cut," OSHA administrator David Michaels says. "It would really have a devastating effect on all of our activities."

Peg Seminario, the safety and health director of the AFL-CIO, agrees. She says the Republicans' proposed cuts would diminish the agency's staffing and abilities:

"We now have a much bigger workforce than we had 40 years ago when OSHA was started," Seminario says. "But they would propose to slash the agency, slash enforcement, slash standards-setting, leaving the agency essentially crippled and unable to do its job to protect workers.
Big Mike

Newt

Post by Newt »

Mike can I assume that during Obama's first two years that he and a democrat controlled house and senate, passed laws sufficient to satisfy the majority of coal miners? Just in the nick of time we now have safety, now Obama wants to close the mines. I guess that is one way of preventing Black Lung.

Me doing research is a waste of time if I don't know who was recording the data. Its kinda like breeding to a field champion if you don't know the format and have never seen the FC run.

A few years ago, the government put out a list of hospitals that had a terrible record of saving patients.
After further review, it was discovered the majority of the patients in those hospitals that got bad marks were taking care of mostly elderly patients.

I do know that is election time.
Democrats can't run on Obama, Reid, and Pelosi's record. They are desperate to find something to run on.
Bush has been gone too long. Ann Romney's horse has died, as an issue. He can't decide if he brought the troops home from Iraq, or if it was Malachi. He still swears that he Killed Bin Ladin. However, he hasn't reassured us lately that Al Qaeda is dead. I think they decided that on even numbered days we are at war with ISIL, but on odd numbered days he is going to contain or degrade their capabilities. That should keep his base scratching their heads.
Black Lung may get out the base in a couple of states.

Forward!

Mike, its in the Congressional record, during the Nixon Administration, there was a big brouhaha about DDT. There were claims by environmental groups, that according their experiments, DDT was causing birds to lay eggs with no shell. Therefore, birds were being threatened to extinction. I was reared on a farm and I know that a calcium deficient diet will result in eggs with no shell. Do you think maybe they withheld calcium from those birds diets? Remember the global warming hockey stick model.
The government conducted tests on DDT. They found that increasing exposure to DDT actually increased the eggs fertility in some experiments. The spokes person for the EPA, stated they could find no evidence that DDT was harmful to birds, man, nor animals but they were going to outlaw it anyway.
I wonder if maybe the patent rights to DDT had expired so it was no longer profitable for Dupont to manufacture it. They could pay a few environmental nuts to raise hell and get it outlawed, thereby opening the Mkt for a new more expensive less efficient bug killer. That is the capitalist way, right?

Mike I did some research and discovered that OSHA was also established during the Nixon Administration. The EPA was established by Nixon's Administration also. I wonder if that is why he was forced out of office. ;)

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Newt wrote:

Mike I did some research and discovered that OSHA was also established during the Nixon Administration. The EPA was established by Nixon's Administration also. I wonder if that is why he was forced out of office. ;)

Not certain if you are serious with that statement? However their may be more truth to it then you may think...The OSHA legislation that passed under Nixon was a watered down version of similar, but tougher legislation proposed by Lydon Johnson. The reason the Nixon law passed , was because Labor came to the forefront and insisted the General Duty Clause be part of the Law. Also, included in the Law was the right of Union Health & Safety representatives to accompany any OSHA compliance Officers during inspections. The Chamber of Commerce , and the Republican party as a whole were furious with Nixon for allowing this happen. The fact of the matter is, since the passage of the legislation, the Republican party for the past forty years , has done everything possible to weaken OSHA laws, and handcuff OSHA compliance officers.
Big Mike

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Mike please answer this question. Why are you blaming the Gop for unsafe conditions when the miners are paying a union rep to look out for their well being. Are the unions turning a blind eye to unsafe conditions and not representing the workers or is it just easier to blame someone else.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

bluemouse wrote:Mike please answer this question. Why are you blaming the Gop for unsafe conditions when the miners are paying a union rep to look out for their well being. Are the unions turning a blind eye to unsafe conditions and not representing the workers or is it just easier to blame someone else.
Who said this ten fold increase in black lung cases , came from union represented mines ? You are making an assumption that fits your political agenda, and a poor assumption at that.
Big Mike

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Who said it was independent! Since you know it all tell what mines are we talking about, instead of dodging the question like a good liberal sheep. I guess if the truth be told not one person is chained or shackled and force to work in a mine. And to me anybody that goes into a mine without proper protection or knowing the risk and thinks the goverment is going to protect them is just foolish to me period.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Hey Mike here is some of your words of wisdom "AKC is just like any other political group, whatever entity generates the most money for them, that is the opinion they will support.
Last edited by Big Mike on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total. SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE LIBERAL.
Big MikeBig Mike

Newt

Post by Newt »

bluemouse wrote:Who said it was independent! Since you know it all tell what mines are we talking about, instead of dodging the question like a good liberal sheep. I guess if the truth be told not one person is chained or shackled and force to work in a mine. And to me anybody that goes into a mine without proper protection or knowing the risk and thinks the government is going to protect them is just foolish to me period.
Anyone who has worked in an industrial/construction environment, has seen workers who repeatedly take short cuts and exhibit risky behavior with regard to safety rules. While working in nuclear power plants, I've seen workers who would take off their pocket dosimeter, put it in a low radiation area while they performed their task so as not to exceed their maximum radiation dose for the month. That allowed them to work more hours. I've seen others put their dosimeter in a high radiation area for the opposite reason. They wanted to work in a less hazardous area. As soon as their allowed dosage was met, the company by law was forced to move them to a non radioactive area.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Most Union representatives have an office and do not work at the trade they represent.
Many are on the take by the owners. Profits override safety.
Truckers, Printers, and Mine workers unions are well known for this, at least they used to be when Jimmy Hoffa and that bunch reigned.
Modern technology and computers busted most of that all to hell. Newspapers are almost a thing of the past, so are books.

Pine Mt Beagles

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

Mike,,
You keep forgetting , ,Republicans Discovered America in 2009.

Republicans ,are known for trying deregulate,,fact

And most Union Representatives work on site,,I Did ,,,

And I Worked for ,M.S.H.A. Inspecting Coal mines Surface and Under Ground.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Yada, yada, yada, and when was that 1980 before you learned the democrat creed.