Wait and See? Keep your car gassed and GPS- Miami

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Newt

Wait and See? Keep your car gassed and GPS- Miami

Post by Newt »

Post on another board:

75% of power plants to be closed by EPA on Jan 1, were full on during winter.

Per Beck ( one of the precious few news sources way out in front re serious/controversial issues). The power needs were barely met; on plant closure away from rolling blackouts.

New EPA Regulation for next year. NG pumping stations can no longer be powered on (their own) NG power. Must use GRID electricity.

Big issue for next Winter. What will Obama do, when the closures - and folk freezing their arse off - bring rage down on his Adm.? Can't do the ACA temporarily suspend thingie; either the electricity arrives...or it don't.

The Three Stooges would do less damage behind that desk!

Utter....INSANITY!
(NG Generators are private Natural Gas Generators) I suppose they want every one on the Grid so, like health care, they can jack up paying citizens bill to cover Obama voters).

Another Poster: I have a friend that is an executive for a power cooperative in the South. He told me over lunch a few weeks ago, as I was complaining about rising electricity costs, that we have not seen anything yet. He referenced the Obama EPA restrictions on coal and other similar restrictions and said that they are expecting 100-200% increases in power bills in the next 2 years unless there is some intervention.

MikeC

Re: Wait and See? Keep your car gassed and GPS- Miami

Post by MikeC »

A barrel of monkeys could do better than this idiot.

Pine Mt Beagles

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

Beck,,beck

Who Cares What A Nazi Lover,,America Hater,,,says he couldn't find his butt with both hands.

Besides that ,is a Republican ,State cut them all off,

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

This being posted by a leftist best known for cutting and pasting from anti American communist websites. LMAO!!!!

Newt

Post by Newt »

Who was the guy who said something along the lines of "under my plan energy prices will skyrocket"?

Well done Barack well done.

The electrical system's duress was a direct result of the polar vortex, the cold air mass that settled over the nation. But it exposed a more fundamental problem. There is a growing fragility in the U.S. electricity system, experts warn, the result of the shutdown of coal-fired plants, reductions in nuclear power, a shift to more expensive renewable energy and natural gas pipeline constraints. The result is likely to be future price shocks. And they may not be temporary.

The problems confronting the electricity system are the result of a wide range of forces: new federal regulations on toxic emissions, rules on greenhouse gases, state mandates for renewable power, technical problems at nuclear power plants and unpredictable price trends for natural gas. Even cheap hydro power is declining in some areas, particularly California, owing to the long-lasting drought.

"Everywhere you turn, there are proposals and regulations to make prices go higher," said Daniel Kish, senior vice president at the Institute for Energy Research. "The trend line is up, up, up. We are going into uncharted territory."

Moeller, the federal energy commissioner, warns that these rapid changes are eroding the system's ability to handle unexpected upsets, such as the polar vortex, and could result in brownouts or even blackouts in some regions as early as next year. He doesn't argue against the changes, but believes they are being phased in too quickly.

The federal government appears to have underestimated the impact as well. An Environmental Protection Agency analysis in 2011 had asserted that new regulations would cause few coal plant retirements. The forecast on coal plants turned out wrong almost immediately, as utilities decided it wasn't economical to upgrade their plants and scheduled them for decommissioning.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pow ... z3064LY76s

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midcontine ... m_Operator

Here is the killer.
They figure in the subsidized green power and plants have to compete with those unfair rates. Now the EPA adds on all emission limits so upgrades vers. price per MW puts the Company in the red. Mothball or convert to NG, so guess where the price of NG is going.
In the old days, voltage/amp/resistance limited the distance electricity could flow, I think that is reality today, but now you can by green power. I don't know how they separate the green from the rest but people are gullible.

My buddy worked at a paper mill and told me never to let the kids put paper in their mouths. I work at a utility and I'm telling you a back-up generator or a wood burner is a good idea.
Good luck to us all.

Newt

Post by Newt »

"I work at a utility and I'm telling you a back-up generator or a wood burner is a good idea.
Good luck to us all."

Patch, wood burning heaters are also in their cross hairs. They are intent on making them illegal as well.
I have a wood burning stove in my basement. When we lose power, it keeps the basement toasty and will keep the upstairs inhabitable as well.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Polar Bears threatened by Global Cooling

About Us
Subscribe
Contact Us
Donate
RSS

Home » News
Alaskan Polar Bears Threatened…By Too Much Spring Ice
April 25, 2014 - 4:09 PM
By Barbara Hollingsworth
Subscribe to Barbara Hollingsworth RSS
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter More Sharing Services 488
Share on print Share on email

polar bears

Female polar bear with cubs. (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service/AP)
(CNSNews.com) – Five meters of ice– about 16 feet thick - is threatening the survival of polar bears in the Southern Beaufort Sea region along Alaska’s Arctic coast, according to Dr. Susan J. Crockford, an evolutionary biologist in British Columbia who has studied polar bears for most of her 35-year career.

That’s because the thick ice ridges could prevent ringed seals, the bears’ major prey, from creating breathing holes they need to survive in the frigid waters, Crockford told CNSNews.com.

“Prompted by reports of the heaviest sea ice conditions on the East Coast ‘in decades’ and news that ice on the Great Lakes is, for mid-April, the worst it’s been since records began, I took a close look at the ice thickness charts for the Arctic,” Crockford noted in her Polar Bear Science blog on April 18th.

“Sea ice charts aren’t a guarantee that this heavy spring ice phenomenon is developing in the Beaufort, but they could be a warning,” she wrote, noting that they "don't bode well" for the Beaufort bears.

“What happens is that really thick ice moves in because currents and winds from Greenland and the Canadian islands push it against the shore,” Crockford told CNSNews.com.

“The male seals arrive in the area in early spring to set up breeding territories. They drill a hole through the ice to maintain breathing holes close to the shore. But there’s a limit. They can drill through two meters (about seven feet) of ice. But too much beyond that and they’re in trouble.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara ... ring-ice-0

Using their data, I could have predicted thicker ice as soon as Obama started closing coal fired power plants.

Another winter like the last and we will all probably be thinner.