Obama, Guns & Paranoia

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dr. Chris

Re: Obama, Guns & Paranoia

Post by Dr. Chris »

Tim H wrote:Dr. Chris, You're right we should talk about what he has done and not what we think he will do. Which also means you should not be suggesting that he will not attempt to ban guns.

In 1996, during Obama's run for the Illinois State Senate, he was surveyed by a Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois about criminal justice and other issues. Obama's answers

Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Obama has also stated his opposition to allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms and supports a national law outlawing the practice.

Chicago Public Radio in 2004 "I continue to support a ban on concealed carry laws".

He supports reinstating the expired Assault Weapons Ban and making it permanent.

These are facts about what he has done. Do you really believe that he is going to do a complete 180 on these issues? Well let's wait and see. Will you be the one to post if he increases gun control or will you just go silent?
You leave out so many details. You state what he did but you leave out why, where and the circumstances involved. It was concerning Chicago {and other large cities} and it was because there was a handgun on every street corner and they were desperately trying to do something about it. And what he was fighting for then was then, and it was relevant for that time and place, and was not aimed at hunters or the 2nd amendment. What I am concerned with is the “now”. What is relevant for what he is trying to do now and how it affects our 2nd amendment and hunters rights. And as of “now” he has no plans to do what you are claiming he is going to do in the future. You are either “stuck” in the past {and even taking that out of context} or you’re trying to predict the future. Why? Because at this “present” time, our 2nd amendment and hunters rights are still intact and are not in any danger, except for the scare tactics that the “extreme” are trying to preach a paranoid message.

I do not believe that our 2nd amendment rights or our hunter’s right will ever be compromised because of Obama.

I did not say he is perfect and he will make mistakes, they all do. But he is not the monster you act like he is and he will be good for our country, in and outside the US.

The one thing that stuck in my mind that really offended me concerning Obama that he has done, remember there was a mistake while taking his oath? When he did the oath over again the next day in the White House to make sure it was legal, he raised his right hand but they did not use the Bible in the ceremony of taking the oath. The excuse was that there was not a Bible close at hand. It’s the White House! No Bible at hand? I know it is not mandatory and it is just tradition but that really bothered me. Above all other discussions and debates of what he has done or might do, this one act has really bothered me the most.

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

You spend too much time trying to spin what Obama has done and what I'm posting that you don't think about what you are posting.
Dr. Chris wrote:You leave out so many details. You state what he did but you leave out why, where and the circumstances involved.
I didn't leave anything out except the spin. You went in and added your spin to the facts, I posted the facts of what he did.

Dr. Chris wrote:But he is not the monster you act like he is
If you see him as a monster based on my posts, it is not because of me, it is because of his actions.

This was posted elsewhere but I think it refutes the "scare tactic, paranoia argument"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTq2NEUlhDE
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

I believe people in Las Vegas and people in Miami have the same right to free speech. I believe people in Fargo and people in Dallas have the same rights to freedom. I believe people in Las Angeles and people in Washington DC have the same rights of justice. I believe people in Chicago and people in Saltville, Va have the same right to own a gun. Makes no difference where you live the Constitution should cover everyone all the time, not only when it is convenient or deemed to be in the interest of others when law abiding citizens are the innocent victims of criminals and the government both.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

beaglechase

Post by beaglechase »

tinymwoods wrote:I believe people in Las Vegas and people in Miami have the same right to free speech. I believe people in Fargo and people in Dallas have the same rights to freedom. I believe people in Las Angeles and people in Washington DC have the same rights of justice. I believe people in Chicago and people in Saltville, Va have the same right to own a gun. Makes no difference where you live the Constitution should cover everyone all the time, not only when it is convenient or deemed to be in the interest of others when law abiding citizens are the innocent victims of criminals and the government both.
Well I will haft to agree with you there tinymwoods.....