Why Veterans Should Vote for Obama, Not McCain

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

By Eli Tate, Kansas delegate

After finishing 10 years of active service in the Air Force last May, I was hungry for change in the level of integrity and ethics in our political leadership. I flew over 250 combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I’ve seen the results first-hand of the Bush administrations mismanagement of our military forces, their families, and our nation’s resources. Like many veterans, I initially considered John McCain to provide that leadership and honesty. I respect Sen. McCain, his service, and his early political career. But then I looked at his voting record on veterans and military family’s issues. He voted against veterans’ health care in favor of continuing tax breaks for the wealthy. He voted against more funding to allow better health care for the National Guard and Reserves and their families. He recently voted against increasing the GI Bill to ensure combat veterans and their families can obtain competitive education after serving their country. That bill was sponsored by Barack Obama. And it passed despite a Bush veto and McCain’s lack of support.

So I want to ask all veterans to take a hard look at which candidate will do more for veterans, their families, and all active, reserve, and guard forces. And I ask all veterans to consider supporting Barack Obama for President in November. Here are some of the reasons I do.

The first congressional committee that first-term Senator Obama joined was the Veteran’s Affairs Committee. This is not a glamorous or powerful committee. It is, however, a vitally important one of which John McCain is not a member. Senator Obama will not let the wealthy defense lobbying sector manipulate our government, leaders, and military.

He does not take lobbyist or political action committee (PAC) donations because he advocates transparency in our government’s decision and law-making process. These lobbying groups are only out for their company’s profits. Finally, Senator Obama has shown the good judgment not to support the initial decision to go into Iraq. All the reasons the Bush administration gave for the war have proven false.

This good judgment is crucial in a commander-in-chief. But once the decision was made, Senator Obama has successfully lobbied to give our troops all the protection and resources they need to be as safe and effective as possible.

He spearheaded the initiative to get the appropriate armor to our troops in Iraq. He has a plan to bring our troops home while not sacrificing the limited gains we have in Iraq or relinquishing the responsibility our nation owes the Iraqi people for 5 years of war in their country. This is true leadership-to have good judgment, recognize our mistakes, take accountability and progressive steps to do the right thing, and take care of our troops and their families in the process.

I urge all veterans, active duty and reserve, as well as their families, to take a good look at why Obama will be a better advocate and leader for our great nation.

Bev
Site Admin

Re: Why Veterans Should Vote for Obama, Not McCain

Post by Bev »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

BARACK OBAMA

A Workout Instead of Meeting U.S. Troops? Bad Move, Senator Obama.

Schedule snafus happen.

But this...

SPIEGEL ONLINE has learned that Obama has canceled a planned short visit to the Rammstein and Landstuhl US military bases in the southwest German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The visits were planned for Friday. "Barack Obama will not be coming to us," a spokesperson for the US military hospital in Landstuhl announced. "I don't know why." Shortly before the same spokeswoman had announced a planned visit by Obama.

coupled with this...

Obama noted that in a break from his whirlwind schedule, "we've got some down time tonight. What are you guys gonna do in Berlin? Huh? Huh? You guys got any big. plans? ...I've never been to Berlin, so...I would love to tour around a little bit."

and this report of Obama using the fitness room of the Berlin Ritz Carlton suggest that Obama and/or the people around him have egregious sensibilities on what his priorities ought to be.

You just don't cancel on the troops. You just don't.

You particular don't cancel on the troops, but go on with other events like the rally. He'll get tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Germans to chant his name? Terrific. Too bad he's not campaigning to represent them. Let him immigrate and run for Chancellor if he wants.

UPDATE: Obama, on the plane to Berlin:

Aboard his plane early this morning, someone asked what was the high point of the trip so far. "This," Obama deadpanned, referring to his 15-minute appearance in the back cabin with reporters. "I had to earn it," he said. "I said, 'When do I get a chance to go back and talk to the press?' "

Amid laughter, he was asked for his second-favorite moment. He paused. "You know I really get a kick out of spending time with the troops. Their morale is high, but they really appreciate acknowledgement of what they're doing," Obama said. "You know, everywhere we went in Afghanistan and Iraq they were just really eager to tell their story, what they were doing. And it was moving. And it's neat to see the mix. You have a bunch of 20-year olds and then you'll get a 40-year old or 50-year old who's in the Guard; a Missouri banker who's helping to try to set up a agricultural project. You know, that's pretty spectacular."
Who decided that Obama had spent enough time with the troops?

UPDATE: A very interesting email from a source I must protect suggests that Obama's visit to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center had the green light until a campaign staffer raised a stink about going with Obama. (There are rules meant to ensure candidates do not use soldiers or military bases for campaign purposes, and they state that personal and committee staff may accompany a sitting senator on a visit but campaign staff may not.) I am told that when one of Obama's campaign staff was told he or she would be denied access, the visit was canceled.

The last-minute cancellation speaks more poorly of this unidentified staffer than of Obama himself. But in the end, shouldn't Obama have been able to say, "fine, the staffer stays in Berlin (or where-ever) and I'm going to Landstuhl? Can he still say so?

ANOTHER UPDATE: A reader who presumably objects to this post writes in, "Obama is not on a USO tour... So stop whining about how many hours he spends with the precious troops."

I hope this reader expresses that sentiment as loudly as possible in front of as many voters as possible.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE.

I wonder if Dr. Chris is even a veteran.?? If not...shame on you for starting this thread! :angryfire:

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE.

I wonder if Dr. Chris is even a veteran.?? If not...shame on you for starting this thread! :angryfire:
Yes, I did my 4 years and would do it again. I would not want to do it under a man that the majority of the military does not trust. Republican: Colin Powell, enough said!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hSZ_Vt ... re=related

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

:lol: Glad you served. But for the life of me I don't understand how you are so passionate about a man with known ties to terrorists over a POW. :shock:

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

Just doesnt make sense does it????

But liberalism as a whole doesnt make sense either.

Tony
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

mrwvsportsman

Post by mrwvsportsman »

Dr. Chris wrote:
Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE.

Yes, I did my 4 years and would do it again. I would not want to do it under a man that the majority of the military does not trust. Republican: Colin Powell, enough said!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hSZ_Vt ... re=related
You need to check the facts before making a statement like that. Check out The Charts link under The Polls in THE ARMY TIMES (not CNN or NBC). http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/10/m ... l_100508w/ There is only one demographic that is in favor of Obama. The rest are OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of McCain. And who is Colin Powell endorsing?????? Enough said!!!

Vote NO to "One Obamination, Without God, or Liberty and Justice WILL fall."
If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?