Beagle running in Indiana

This is a good place to inform fellow hunters about bills and other legislation that may jeopardize our rights to hunt and free cast our hounds.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gary A

Beagle running in Indiana

Post by Gary A »

The DNR in Indiana is considering stoping dog running/trainning in the spring on state ground. The DNR is going to have open houses for all
residents to voice there opinions. Please plan to attend.

Any questions please contact me at:
garyaotte@msn.com

Following is a post from Jack on the subject including locations and dates.

This is the list of dates and locations for the open houses dealing with the administrative rule change meetings. All meetings are from 2 pm to 8 pm.

Tuesday, June 3
Atterbury FWA
Indianapolis-Pike township public library
Mitchell office
Peru office
Willow Slough FWA

Wednesday, June 4
Ft Wayne- law enforcement office
Jasper-Pulaski FWA
Kankakee FWA
LaSalle FWA
Minnehaha FWA

Thursday, June 5
Crosley FWA
Kingsbury FWA
Tri-county FWA

Tuesday, June 10
Glendale FWA
Hovey Late FWA
Pigeon River FWA
Sugar Ridge FWA
Winamac FWA

Wednesday, June 11
Wilbur Wright FWA

It seems to me that there will not be anyone from outside DNR going into these meetings and suggesting that dog running rules be changed. It is important here that tell DNR at the meeting we attend that we know the ideas for banning spring dog running is coming from within the DNR. Let them know that we have talked with the other hunting, fishing, and outdoor groups and know, also, that they do not have an issue with our dogs being in the field in the spring. We should continue to stress the fact that all research indicates that our dogs presence does not provide a negative small game and upland bird atmosphere, and it is our feeling that the department of natural resources is over stating the numbers of dog running users. It is our desire, therefore, that the department of natural resources make no changes to existing dog running/training rules as they apply to state land.

Our position at this time should be that there is no research that even hints that a change is needed. And if DNR wants to make changes let it be in habitat improvement where the problem lies, if they’re even is one. We should not even mention the word compromise at this stage. I have already spoken with some of the groups that attend the FWCC meetings and before we get to the next quarterly meeting I will have a pretty good idea of their feelings on dogs in the field in the spring.

Jack.