Garmin Alpha 100 Birdseye Maps

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RuffKutBeagles

Garmin Alpha 100 Birdseye Maps

Post by RuffKutBeagles »

Is anyone actually using the birdseye maps? If so, is anyone having trouble with theirs freezing up? I'm running 3-4 hours & my unit freezes up once or twice every time I'm out. I've deleted the birdseye maps 3 times and installed smaller maps which made no difference. I returned the unit, Garmin says it was defective. The unit freezes when checking dog status', toning or shocking or just navigating through features. I Tried my new one out today & had the same problem. :(

BTW, the unit works fine when not using Birdseye.

I also like the bark detection feature on the new collars but this doesnt work either, Garmin says they will have an update/fix for that soon.

Flatlander2

Re: Garmin Alpha 100 Birdseye Maps

Post by Flatlander2 »

try putting in the mini sd card, you might memory maxed out
CH HBCH Fertelli's Flatlander Hailey
HBCH Fertelli's Johnnie Walker
Fertelli's Pay the Piper
Fertelli's Whiskey Shootin Cooper

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Are you manually locking the screen before putting the handheld in a pouch or something to that effect??

I quit doing that and the freezing up stopped...I went thru 4 handhelds....lol. I had the same issue. You can call me if you like and I can tell you all the issues I had....

304-694-6331...good luck!!!

RuffKutBeagles

Post by RuffKutBeagles »

I will check into getting an SD card to see if that works.

No, I dont lock my transmitter very often any more because there usually isnt a need & it creates one more opportunity for it to freeze on me while unlocking. I clip it onto my bibs when its not in my hand, so the screen doesnt get bumped.

I was told by Garmin that the unit should be able to hold about 30 maps at 230 each, I only have one map on the unit presently & I tried using very small maps.

Thanks for the responses.