Kennel Design

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RobDar

Post by RobDar »

A guy who we work with in the rescue from time to time solved his snow and ice build up problem with a pressure washer. You gotta buy a good one with metal guts that will handle hot water but he goes out twice a week, lets the dogs out of the kennel and goes at it with the hot water, picks up any waste not taken by the hot water jet, towel dries the dog house and fencing.
Roberta and/or Darin E. Lee
RobDars Beagle Rescue

M - BELLAMY BEAGLES.NET

Post by M - BELLAMY BEAGLES.NET »

:P THIS IS THE BEST KENNEL SET UP I HAVE USED OR SEEN I THINK !!! http://www.beagles.net/kennel.html :P SEE THE WEB LINK FOR PICTURES .. THIS IS A MASON KENNEL WITH SLIDE IN AND OUT STAINLESS STEEL BOWLS ... THE FLOOR IS THE BEST PART THEY ARE TREATED 2X4'S RIPPED IN TWO AND THEN SPACED OUT SO ALL THE WASTE FALLS BELOW !!!! THIS IS SELF CLEANING EVERY TIME IT RAINS AND ONCE A WEEK OR SO CLEAN THE WASTE BELOW THE KENNEL ON THE GROUND !!! ON THE CONCRETE FLOORS THE DOGS HAVE TO WALK AROUND IN THERE WASTE UNTIL IT IS CLEANED !!!! YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEND HOURS A DAY TO CLEAN UP THE CONCRETE FLOORS !!! I THINK IT IS A LOT MORE SANITISED THEN ANY OTHER SYSTEM !!!!!! I HAVE SEEN MANY WIRE FLOORS AND MOST DONT LET THE WASTE FALL THROUGH AND THEY ARE HARD ON THE DOGS FEET !!! MIKE BELLAMY / ALL OUT KENNELS / http://WWW.BEAGLES.NET

WSRandy

Post by WSRandy »

I have seen Bevs kennels several times and was amazed at how nice the pea gravel worked! It seems to be a great base and I like how they have runs and above grounds, plus the privacy fence for running in yard.
I live in town and have neighbors close by like Ralph and Bev do......we (well Shannon) cleans our kennels 2 x a day and washes them out good once every couple weeks with disinfectant and more often of summer.

I think everyone should own atleast 1 above ground, therefore you might as well buy it first and if you dont care for it, build runs and use your above ground for in heat females , pups, new dogs, etc. I have 1 above ground, concrete runs and runs with flume base.....I like em all. Am planning to try pea gravel this spring when I freshen up.

Best to you all, Randy

James Carman

Kennels

Post by James Carman »

I use a sweeper nozzle on my garden hose to clean the pens. I am blessed with very good water pressure. It only takes a couple of minutes per run to clean out the mess. While the pups do walk in their own stool, the adults do not. I have one drain for every two runs. All stools and urine are washed into the drains and go down them to a main drain in front of the pens. This runs into 4 inch pipe whicsh carries off the waste to a settling ditch about 150 feet away from the runs. The solids settle out and the liquids run off. Again, there is no smell until the ditch needs cleaning and then the smell is gone in less than a day. While I don't think you can beat concrete, it is very permanent. I understand why other kinds of runs are used. One does what fits his needs best. While I don't like the above ground pens for general use, (Tom Dornin called them turkey pens.) they are perfect for quarentine pens. I would also choose them if I did not intend to stay at my current location. In fact, that is what I had until we bought this place.