How much do you think it cost a year to raise a dog.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lab

How much do you think it cost a year to raise a dog.

Post by lab »

I was wondering if any of you have ever figure how much it cost you a year to raise a dog. I always figure around 1.00 dollar a day for each dog and that is not counting your time. I am sure some of you have the exact cost.

mybeagles

Re: How much do you think it cost a year to raise a dog.

Post by mybeagles »

I assume your only talking about food. Once you get into vet bills, meds, kennel, gas, field trials, and equipment the variables go way up. Maybe as high as $10 a day or more.

Should not be difficult to determine feed costs. Feed 1 bag of food and divide by days and dogs for exact answer. Some feed $15 bags of feed and others feed $75 bags.

I would say .40-.50 cents a day would be closer to average for just food.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

My food costs are around 45-50 cents per day. Heart worm meds add about 20-25 cents plus shots maybe another 10-15 cents. All totaled maybe 80-85 cents per day just to have them in the kennel.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

nothing!! at least that's what I tell my wife and i'm sticking to it!
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

My biggest expense is in the summer when it gets above 95 they like the AC in the gargage. My formula is cost to feed divided by fun equals happy,happy, happy

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I really don't want to know as I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it!!
In reality though beagling for me is actually pretty affordable when I compare it to the guys with their mega-bass boats and tournement entry fees,set of Ping golf clubs and greens fees or membership,5'th wheel campers,the pick-up to pull them and campground site costs,the trail riding folks who have to have a horse,trailer to haul him and tack,take your pick of 4 wheelers,jet skis, snowmobiles,dirt bikes,white water kayaks,Harley Davidsons,etc.,etc.
Yep,I keep telling my wife that beagling is pretty darn reasonable.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Shady
1st off golf clubs don't eat or take meds or need frontline and so on. Initial investment and your set to go, plus green fees.

I've been to one trial and saw a lot of big trucks with some fancy trailers in tow and loaded with hounds that require a lot of care which cost money with guys dressed in their Mule clothing which is not cheap either. Tens of Thousands invested in what I mentioned. I am in no way stirring the proverbial pot but Beagling can be a very expensive venture. All in how each goes about it.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

In most places, green fees are higher than trial entry fees--$25.00 is cheap for green fees. And a lot of golfers show up in Caddy's, but that's beside the point. Beagles can be as expensive to own and campaign as we can afford. My dogs go through a 40 # bag a week--maybe more on the winter. That's 52 bags at around $30.00/bag adds up to around $1560.00 per year just for food.

Larry

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

How would you factor in a person's time running the dog though?

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

bigcfromrbc wrote:How would you factor in a person's time running the dog though?
Like the American Express commercial, ................ Priceless
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Why would you try to factor in your time? You don't get paid to enjoy a hobby. The payment you get is the rest and relaxation. Fellowship with friends that share the same passion. Time spent in the woods with my boys having conversations that otherwise would never be had. I don't think you can place a value on that.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I figure it keeps me young and healthier than I might be otherwise. It's relaxing, usually, and a chance to observe Mother Nature in all her splendor is icing on the cake. It adds to my life bank account.

Larry

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Years 1-7 or 8 are fairly inexpensive....probably about $1K per dog....when they are puppies they aren't cheap with all the shots and when they get old they can be very expensive with vet bills too.

I try not to over think it, I want a pack of beagles....I can afford it so I have it :nod:

undertheradar

Post by undertheradar »

When I hear 15 beagles in a deadly roar, so much of a roar you know there is no way the rabbit will survive, I can't put a price tag on it. Its like crack to a crack head. I've never seen a junkie sit down and say, geez I wonder how much my drugs are costing me. Lol.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hummmm...maybe a bad example. Doesn't the junkie usually end up in jail or dead?
Recognizing and maintaining balance can keep you out of the doghouse and ending up dog-poor... :nod:

I think your dollar a day would cover the cost of feeding/care for a dog. I can't in good conscience lay the cost of my wants or anyone's extravagance on the poor dog, the cost and limits of those things are pretty much open-ended according to taste. I never dreamed before I'd see a $200. dog collar with a computer hanging on it around a dogs neck, but now it seems a necessity. Welcome to the "NEW AGE"...lol