Bitter-sweet part of gun hunting

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LoneBeagle

Bitter-sweet part of gun hunting

Post by LoneBeagle »

I got to take my dogs out tonight for the first time in two weeks. Between teaching school and working part time at Lowe's, I have to capitalize on hunting when I can. (Even brought the wife along, she loves to go!) I usually carry the single shot shotgun around, but rarely fire a shot. I have hunted since I was old enough to walk, have quality record book deer/turkey, trapped, and ran "wolf hounds". Absolutely love watching hounds of any kind work!

Tonight, I opened the crate and away they went. Four dogs on a mission. Jumped two rabbits within about 6 or 7 minutes and I enjoyed two separate races. Eventually, we got back to one good, big rabbit. My wife and I watched as he would give the dogs a slip, take a few needed breathes and then away again when the dogs got close. The sun has set, the skies were overcast gray, and the slightest drizzle was drifting in the 10 east wind. After about 45 minutes, the drizzle got a little heavier and the thermometer dipped 6 degrees, to just under freezing. At this point, the dogs circled the rabbit for his final time. As he tore past a fairly good sized cedar tree (about 30 yards away), I shouldered the little 410 and squeezed the trigger. Nothing is sweeter than seeing that little fuzzy ball of fur tumble end over end. At that point, I had to hot foot it to get the little booger before the dogs got there.

As we stood waiting for the dogs to arrive from the other side of the tree, I picked up my sizable quarry. My wife and I stood there for a few moments. I teased the dogs with the dead bunny and then they went on to find another. Within a short time, they found another one and proceeded to run his tail off. This tale has to be told in order for all to understand...as I stood there holding my prize, I couldn't help but feel how bitter sweet the moment was. Not sure if it was the much needed time with my wife, my needed time with my hounds, or just the time I needed away from everything...but I felt a twinge of sadness that I had killed the furry little beast. Nothing major, just a very brief moment. I've killed many things, several rabbits this year over the dogs, and hunted with my wife on many occasions. It was just bitter sweet to have a race so fine, to do exactly what the dogs and I set out to do, but end the race in the same exact moment. I suppose that's the exact nature of gun hunting. The bitter sweet moment of all going the way it should.

hlane

Re: Bitter-sweet part of gun hunting

Post by hlane »

Lonebeagle i think i know what you are saying! ive been hunting my whole life and have killed thousands of coon,squirrels,rabbit and
a few nice deer and a wildboar. I started running a trapline at 8yrs old trapping muskrats and was coonhunting by myself at 10yrs old
(got pics lol!) but these days killing critters just dont realy turn me on that much. fact is i only carried a gun about 50% of the time
this season. i realy dont think my dogs care if they get some fur in there mouth or not they just want to be runnin! it might be cuz
im getting older but its a bittersweet feeling for me too!
Hammer Lane Kennels

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

I understand. Every word of it

jdwiley

Post by jdwiley »

Well said!!!
I had a hard time finding rabbits this year at the few spots that I have.
I felt the same way on one of my kills this season!
Only one of five of my hounds care about a dead rabbit! But I do like to eat a few, so I take what I need, not too interested in filling a tailgate!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Very well said. There's always that moment of sweet success and sadness. I like to hear the dogs and if I get a good race chances are Mr. Rabbit won his freedom until another day. I swear some rabbits enjoy the chase just as much as we and the dogs do. I like rabbit too and also understand the land only supports so many. Still, dead rabbits don't run. And that's a fact!

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Follow up...This rabbit turned out to be just what we needed to finish the mess of rabbit in the freezer. My brother and his family came over and we had a blast. Our wives browned the rabbit in a cast iron skillet (then set it in the stove to finish cooking). Finished it out with mashed potatoes, sweet corn, and cornbread stuffing. We left nothing on the plates. Sure makes a man feel blessed!

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Lonebeagle,i thought that it was just me,i feel that way a lot of times myself,i do enjoy the rabbit meals especially cooking it so others can enjoy it too,i feel this way every September as well after a few successful dove hunts,stay safe and keep hunting.