LEG DAMAGE WITH DC50 COLLAR

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

island hare chas'r

LEG DAMAGE WITH DC50 COLLAR

Post by island hare chas'r »

I HAVE A DOG THAT BREAKS OPEN THE SKIN ON THE TOP OF HIS LEG JUST BELOW THE KNEE JOINT EVERYTIME WE RUN. HE IS HITTING IT ON THE DC50 COLLAR. ANY IDEAS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED WRAPPING THE COLLAR WITH FOAM PIPE INSULATION AND IT WONT STAY IN PLACE. MY OTHER TWO DOGS HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL, BUT THEY ARE 15-15+ WHERE HE IS A 14 INCH

Budd

Re: LEG DAMAGE WITH DC50 COLLAR

Post by Budd »

Have the same issue on a couple of my hounds, actually have holes in there legs from the constant bashing. Notice it mostly on the head down style hounds, not so much on the heads up running dogs. Haven't came up here with a fix yet either.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

I have the same problem with my DC40's on the bitch I run alot. If garmin would come up with an "ultra light" I bet it would be a smoking hot seller. I know I'd be in line waiting on one! The only thing I have found to do is put them on buckle right one trip and buckle left the next. It seems to help a little but still don't solve the problem completely.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

Richie57

Post by Richie57 »

Might want to call them direct about the problem and see if they have had complaints about and if so are they working on something. There may be some kind of wrap that can be put on the dog and then taped. I'm sure there is a possibility I will run into it too. once mine are running on a regular basis.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I also have run into the same problem with the DC40 with the smaller dogs. It doesn't seem to happen with my bigger hounds. Don't have a solution yet that I know of. I have tried to turn the collar slightly to the side, but even with the collar pretty tight, it seems to work itself back towards the center of the neck eventually. Thought about taping the dogs leg in the spot it hits, but I don't know if the dog would leave the tape alone. Haven't tried it yet though. If you come up with something or contact Garmin and they have a suggestion, I would be interested to know. Please post anything you find out that works.

island hare chas'r

I was hoping someone knew where you could get a cushion like material that could be velcroed on the leg without inhibiting mobility. Material I was thinking of is like the material used for "can coolers" I have contacted Garmin will post their response. Any more leads or ideas would be appreciated.

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Same problem with one of my dogs and the 40. The last run I put electrical tape around her leg. It worked well. No blood at all.

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

On my 13" Annie female the Alpha T10 she beats her front legs bad also, I have gotten so I dont run a tracking unit on her anymore because of this.
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

pross

Post by pross »

I have had this problem before and the best solution I found was to attach a small weight on the opposite side of the receiver box to act as a counterbalance and keep the box on the side of the neck versus under the neck. It doesn't take much of a weight at all and works great. I forget where I found the small weights but they were about 3/4" x 3" in length and when attached with either electrical or duct tape, stays in place time after time with no problem.

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

I am having same problem with a 15' male he is coming up lame or just dropping out of races definitely slowing him down and I know what he can do the guy I got him from said none of his dogs can wear them at all he ended up selling tracking system and went back to just the shocking collar system I have the garmin alpha and will probably end up selling it because of this never really noticed to see if it is tearing up his legs but I know he is hitting it cause it always end up on side of his neck and you can only put them so tight so going back to just shocking system to see

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

I have had the same problem dogs are beating the hell out of their legs even had 1i think might had cracked its leg on the collar

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I run dc40's and have 1 ea. dc50, and have no problems with dogs legs hitting colars at all, but I put my tri tronics on the same colar as the Garmin. If u take the dc40 off and turn it around so the antena points towards the buckle and wire tie the antena to the loop, u can slide your exp on the same colar as the dc40. The dc40 will be off to the side some and the dogs legs will not hit it, the exp will be almost to the bottom. I have ran this set up on a 12 inch beagle with no problems. With the dc50, I had to take out the middle spacer which only holds the antena any ways and put my exp in between the satilite antena and the main battery unit. This doesn't work too well on a smaller dog for the shocker unless you change out the probes with the longer ones supplied with the exp. hope this helps.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

2barrel

Post by 2barrel »

I have found out that with smaller 13" beagles you need to put dc40 on same collar as tri-tronics You then place it in front of your everyday collar on dog. This works on 9 out of 10 beagles but some dogs just run different and will continue to hit their legs. I know sport collar came out with a smaller unit but I just like garmin. I dread having to buy the bigger Garmin collars when my become worn out. I hope they have a smaller alpha type collar by then. Good luck hope this helps.

island hare chas'r

GARMIN RESPONDED BACK, THEY TOLD ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PUT THE COLLAR ON THE SIDE OF THE NECK AND FASTEN IT QUITE TIGHT TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. I HAVE MADE A WEIGHT THAT IS 1INCH x 1 3/4 INCH OUT OF LEAD THAT IS 4 1/2 OZ. AS WAS STATED EARLIER IN THIS POST, TAPED IT ON THE COLLAR RIGHT NEXT TO THE GPS ANTENNA, BETWEEN THAT AND THE ANTENNA HOLDER, USED IT TODAY AND WORKED QUITE WELL BUT I THINK THE WEIGHT SHOULD BE 3 1/2 OZ TO POSSIBLY 4 OZ. I HAVE JUST SWITCHED FROM THE DC50 COLLAR TO THE T5 AND T15 COLLARS AND I THINK THEY ARE LIGHTER THAN WHAT MY DC 50'S WERE. THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS AND REMEDIES, THAT WHAT MAKES THIS BOARD WHAT IT IS. :D

lawdog

Post by lawdog »

I had this problem with my 13" female. I have found a solution by wrapping her leg. I use a self adhesive bandage wrap around the spot that gets hit. Then I take Gorilla tape, cut in half width wise, and I wrap the one piece of tape above her joint and another below her joint. It takes less than five minutes and is 100% effective in protecting the leg. I run her in snow and the tape stays on.