What is the farthest distance you've seen Hare go out?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DIXIEDOG

Re: What is the farthest distance you've seen Hare go out?

Post by DIXIEDOG »

outrider66 wrote:Not to get off topic and just askin cuz i dont know ! what does a hare run like at trials that are held in pens ? and how big are these pens ?

Depends on the hare, the terrain and the pen size. All the clubs up here are different sizes, most range from 50-100 acres. Typically I see the hare run 200-500 yard loops in our 100 ish acre pen. If you get a smart rabbit they run smaller circles in the 100 yard range, track the whole area up and then bail way out quickly. It's a good way to lose dogs. The other way they like to do it is to run the walking trails, they can fly right up the trails and the dogs will struggle more often than not. I think after awhile the experienced hare make a game of losing the dogs. :lol:

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I have only ran hare in two pens. The pen at Java Village, which is I think around 50 acres, give or take, and the back pen at Neversink, which I can't remember the size. My experience in both pens is that the hare make giant loops. Most of the time at Java, the hare cover pretty much the entire pen, around and around. It's one of the reasons I don't miss a trial there. The hare in the Neversink pen went almost out of hearing last year, and fast. Those judges had their work cut out for them.

I also judged the little derby class at Java last year. The hare we ran in the winners pack wore me out. He ran big loops and the last 4 dogs we had on the ground were relentless on him.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

this year in u.p. we had a chase run out .15-.16 miles on alphas. All i know is the garmins converted over once it went past 900 yds lol. the next few days we seen chases getting out 800-900 yds consistantly. alot bigger then the year before.