What is the farthest distance you've seen Hare go out?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

northernhare

What is the farthest distance you've seen Hare go out?

Post by northernhare »

I was wandering how far you Hare guys have had a Hare run out using your GPS from from the point of jump?
Run to catch!!!

jim matuszewski

Re: What is the farthest distance you've seen Hare go out?

Post by jim matuszewski »

500-600 yards in norther wi

44magman

Post by 44magman »

We had one hare straight line out over one and a half miles on the garmin up over a mountain and down the other side I thought it was trash but weighted it out they came back the same line thought they quit wat they were running but as soon as they crested the mountain all the dogs were opening and here comes the hare back to the spruce thicket he started out of three shots with the pistol he never did that again.quite often we have them run 600 to900 hundred yard loops.

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

1000 yds out when there is little to no snow. I always hear horror stories about march buck hare taking off back to their home ground a couple miles away, but i have never seen it on my gps.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

900+ in March....still got him but it took a longggggggggggggggg while :lol:

Budd

Post by Budd »

Got on a transplanted hare (new because he had worn the hare off his face on the trap wire) that went out just over a mile, Never thought in a million years that he would come back but he did!! Other then that one have had them out to 900yrds but that don't happen often enough.

LightningBeagles

Post by LightningBeagles »

Had one up on Drummond island run out a little over a mile before it started its figure eight circles. Never came back. We had to go to the hare. It was a 18 + mile run.
Lightning Strike Kennel
Jeremy Geiger

IFC Litaway's Capitain Pickard @ Stud
FTCH Split Rocks Pink Floyd
HBCH JG'S Tuff Weedeater Dixie
HBCH JG'S She's A Hot Mess
GRHBCH JG'S Oscar Wild

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Had one this past October while hunting in northern Maine that got out 1,000 yards according to the GPS.That's fairly unusual to get out that far as most seem to run 300-500 yard circles where we were running.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

far. i've had them go well over 1000 yards many times but you run into trouble late in the year when they go out that far and don't come back. THANK GOD for garmin collars.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Not to get off topic and just askin cuz i dont know ! what does a hare run like at trials that are held in pens ? and how big are these pens ?

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

The reason I brought up the subject is because in the last month I've been running Pennsylvania hare and they have been running big. They have been going out to 1 to 1.5 miles and yesterday after a couple closer circles they took one out to 2.5 miles! They were averaging almost 7mph in 10" of snow!Sometimes they'll run one in a small area and get it all tracked up then they bog down in the confusion. when they decide to run my dogs push them into the next county. The nice thing about this is finding new hare spots at the end of some of these long runs!
Run to catch!!!

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

i've found the thicker the cover the closer they stay. if they run that far it must be kind of open country. at least thats what i've found. but over the years what happened to you has happened many times to me. it's great when you finally kill that hare aint it? almost like deer hunting at that point.

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

adirondackjoe wrote:i've found the thicker the cover the closer they stay. if they run that far it must be kind of open country. at least thats what i've found. but over the years what happened to you has happened many times to me. it's great when you finally kill that hare aint it? almost like deer hunting at that point.
I think you hit it. The hare are running between thicker areas like beech brush and saplings. when we go to Maine they don't seem as rangy because of the thick pine plantings.
Run to catch!!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Outrider 66
Hey Brian
I belonged to Claremont Beagle Club when I lived in New Hampshire.They have 3 enclosures that are 125 acres,90 acres and a puppy/starting pen that is 25 acres.
I think Northfield Vermont Beagle Club is around 200 acres.Hardwick Vermont club has two enclosures that I think are 160 acres and 80 acres.White Mtn. B.C. in New Hampshire was small acreage wise at about 50 acres but always had super good cover and plenty of hare.
I went to a couple of trials in Maine,New York and Massachusetts and I'd say all those clubs were somewhere between 100-200 acres.
Mel Faust in Louisiana has 200 acres fenced for swampers and can devide it into two-100 acre pens for trials.
In New England there were a fair number of Large Pack trialers that had their own pens of 30-40 acres thet were used for starting and conditioning.When your pen starts getting down to that size you have to be judicious about how many hard going hounds you let run and for how long if you're concerned about keeping your hare.
I'm sure some will disagree but I don't think a hare in a running pen runs anything like a hare in the wild.I found that they run a whole lot like a cottontail.They tend to sit much tighter than a hare say in the woods of northern Maine,they run smaller circles,they do a lot more path running,doubling and they tend to stay just barely far enough out in front of the dogs. Hare in a running pen find out real quick that if they get too far out in front of the pack that's running behind them they are apt to run into other hounds that are in the pen. Some pens have so much hare scent in them that the hounds can get to running helter skelter and expect to run with their nose full of scent and the hare just barely out of sight. As opposed to the wild hare in the north country that may never have even heard a beagle on his trail before.On numerous occasions I've shot a big woods hare that was as much as several minutes out in front of some hard driving hounds.
Phil Reynolds who was a very sucessful Large Pack trialer in New England made the comment to me one day while we were running at the club "these hare in the pens run like circus rabbits".
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Thanks Dana ! I was thinkin that they would have to run more like a cottontail in pens. I get some pretty good races around here
especialy in the spring and iam fortunate to have a nice young male that can realy keep a rabbit going for suprisingly long periods
of time! I had a guy tell me that i would have to run my dog 10hrs a day for months just to get him ready for 1 lp trial.????? I dont
know ? but i cant wear him out unless i dont feed him right !!! A LP trial is on my bucket list ! .....Take Care and Thanks!