Frozen moisture on inside of dog house roof?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sgc

Frozen moisture on inside of dog house roof?

Post by sgc »

I have an insulated aluminum dog house (Seneca) that has frozen moisture on inside (underside) of roof. Looking for tips on how to get rid of this. I thought I'd rig a plywood ceiling inside the dog house and drill a few holes in it; then open the Seneca roof a crack in the back to let moisture out. I'm using straw & cedar chips as bedding. Looking for ideas. thanks,

mybeagles

Re: Frozen moisture on inside of dog house roof?

Post by mybeagles »

Heat mat or light bulb. They keep the temp up in the box and keep it dry. Get rid of the straw...it holds moisture. Moisture in the box promotes fungus growth on dogs ears and neck area that can be slow to heal.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

mybeagles wrote:Heat mat or light bulb. They keep the temp up in the box and keep it dry. Get rid of the straw...it holds moisture. Moisture in the box promotes fungus growth on dogs ears and neck area that can be slow to heal.
x2 straw definetly holds moisture,i saw in an article recently where a man took a old gallon paint can punched holds in it and mounted it in a dog house , it worked good as a heater,i forgot this idea over time but years ago my uncle who raised hogs for a living would do this when his sows would have little piglets in the winter months.I hope this helps.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

Never heard of this paint can heater deal before. I'd like to know more about this.
How does this work?
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

mundellm

Post by mundellm »

You mount a light inside the can. The hot light bulb heats the can

Or. Just buy a hound heater deluxe. You will need to put a door on the box

sgc

Post by sgc »

Thanks for the suggestions. Dave I sent you an email.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I got some houses from a man years ago who told me never to insulate the top of a house, just the sides and bottom. He claimed an insulated top would allow moisture to collect there. Maybe he was right. The hounds do love the houses he built. On the other hand, I have some Senecas and have not experienced this. Maybe I should take another look inside them!

sgc

Post by sgc »

I heard years ago, with the Seneca's, that some guys set up the side wing nut with a spacer to allow moisture to get out. What I was wondering, was if they put in a ceiling first to somehow hold in heat; plus I was looking for other guys experiences. I have a hound deluxe light bulb heater & also a hound furnace; but this particular situation called for the dog being in a house with only bedding. I was using straw & cedar chips because that's the best I could get. Years ago I would have used swamp grass as bedding, but I couldn't find any by me.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sheeps wool make a great dog bedding and also for outside laying chickens egg laying boxes. Check with someone with sheep as they shed a lot.

mjd

Post by mjd »

Dog house is no different then our house ,need to move the air ,leave a gap at bottom of door and put some holes in top to allow air to move through same as soffit vent and ridge vents
Moisture in igloos is why i tossed them to the curb and went back to wood dog houses

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have Seneccas I have seen the same issue.

I don't cover the doors and where they don't get good air I simply prop the top open a quarter inch. Those houses are super for holding in heat and what you are seeing is condensation from the heat retention. Give the top an air gap....may solve your issue.

good luck!

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

panther creek ,I've been working out of town and couldn't reply, but you mount a light on the wall then punch holes in the gallon paint can cover the light fix the can so it stays in place or mount it too the 60 or 75 watt bulb will heat the can which produces heat,of course energy save bulbs will work too.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Where hot and cold meet there is condensation, especially on metal or plastics, so the difference between the temp of the metal and the inside air is where it's condensing as they are good conductors of both. Wood is pores and is not a good conductor of heat and cold so it doesn't sweat. You need ventilation for moist air to escape, if you put a flap over the door of your barrel, I take out the fill plug and position it at the top while the barrel is on it's side, this way warm moist air can escape. The hound don't need alot of heat, just a draft free place with fresh bedding, they pile on together and make their own heat. The sweating is from the moisture of their warmth and breath, if you allow it to vent and have a little air flow it will be greatly reduced.
Put the covers over your head at night and see how warm and moist the air becomes... :lol:

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

The biggest reason you don't see condensation on wood is that wood is porous and absorbs the condensation. Then overtime if not dried out it will mold. Any non-porous material that is colder than moist air will condensate unless the air is carried away.