SAFEGUARD GOAT WORMER

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

salt ridge

SAFEGUARD GOAT WORMER

Post by salt ridge »

Could someone tell me the dosage of the goat wormer on dogs? THANKS.

44magman

Re: SAFEGUARD GOAT WORMER

Post by 44magman »

I do 1 cc per 5 pounds of dog three days in a row.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

44magman wrote:I do 1 cc per 5 pounds of dog three days in a row.
yep
Last edited by rabbit chaser on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

If you are using Safeguard Goat Wormer, the dosing is 1cc per every 5 pounds of body weight. That comes straight from our vet.

IF the dog has NEVER been on a fenbenzadole (active ingredient) wormer, dose the first time 3 days in a row...after that it just takes 1 dose once a month to maintain.

Safeguard is safe for all dogs, including pregnant or lactating females and pups as safe as 2weeks old.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

OKIEDOG wrote:If you are using Safeguard Goat Wormer, the dosing is 1cc per every 5 pounds of body weight. That comes straight from our vet.

IF the dog has NEVER been on a fenbenzadole (active ingredient) wormer, dose the first time 3 days in a row...after that it just takes 1 dose once a month to maintain.

Safeguard is safe for all dogs, including pregnant or lactating females and pups as safe as 2weeks old.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
http://www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

That's the dosage my vet told me as well
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Marktnhunter

Post by Marktnhunter »

Does the safeguard goat wormer get ride of tape worms?

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Yes.Rounds,hooks and whips too.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

44magman

Post by 44magman »

oakie I only worm once in a while not every month probably three times a year if I only worm that often should I do the three days in a row ? and I understand it does some tapeworms but not all types.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

You guys are right. I was thinking about the ivermec dosage. I guess I should drink at least one cup of coffee before I post in the morning. Mag44 I do like you and only worm every so often. I always use the three day regiment when I do it and have never had any problems.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

44magman

Post by 44magman »

I usualy worm them if they catch one and eat it they do that a couple times a year.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Safeguard will remove hook, round, whip and 1 kind of tapeworm. It will not remove all tapes. To remove all tapes, you need a product with praziquantel as the active ingredient...like fish tapes or generic Drontal-both of which we sell at Okie Dog Supply. Praziquantel has to he at a 34mg level to be effective in a dog so don't be fooled by the stuff on the market that has 5 or 10mg-you are just wasting your time and money.

Also...praziquantel is extremely harsh on the kidneys therefore it should be used only under get care if the dog has kidney problems and it should NOT be used on a pup under 12 weeks of age.

If you are not on a monthly worming program then dose 3 days in a row with Safeguard goat wormer when u do dose. Please note: the safeguard goat wormer has dosing instructions on the back for a 25 pound goat. That dose won't be effective for a dog because the gi tract, worm type and metabolism of goat and dog are different.

Safeguard goat wormer, active ingredient fenbenzadole, should be dosed for a dog at a rate of 1cc for every 5 pounds. Safeguard goat wormer is safe for pregnant or lactating females and pups as young as 2weeks old. NOTE: when dosing pups, starting at 2wks old...dose only Once NOT 3 days in a row.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com
918-633-3519

44magman

Post by 44magman »

thank you for the reply it was very informational. even us old people can learn something new ,lol I have not used safeguard on pups I normaly use nemex 2 but it is nice to know that you can use it on pups.

salt ridge

Post by salt ridge »

Thanks for the info. Everyone have a GREAT year and may your checks be few.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

44: I used to use Nemex2. I walked into vet with this poor little pup whose fur was all dull and belly bloated. I'd wormed the silly thing for 3 days in a row with Nemex2...plus a little extra. I knew the pup was wormy (acquired pup) but nothing was working. I had the pup in one hand and a big 1pint bottle of Nemex2 in the other. The vet, an old-time competition coon hound guy, walked in and looked at both my hands and said 'You can keep one, pitch the other.' I was like 'I've spent alot of money on both.' He said 'let me do it for you...like ripping off a bandaid...' then he grabs the nemex and pitches it in the trash! I almost freaked. Then he looked at me and said 'you might as well throw away your wallet if you're going to keep buying that trash.' It was then that he put me on safeguard (well, the pup) and that pup had the biggest ball of worms ever!!! I've not ever used anything else since that day and I can't believe how much healthier my entire kennel is!

And, here's a bonus tip: the newest treatment for coccidia involves fenbenzadole and metronidazole (fish zole / flagyl). Yep... you can use safeguard to help with certain gi issues...it sounds counter-intuitive...but, it's something vets all over are doing now.

Never too old to learn...that's for sure! I learn everyday...or try to.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

Why not use the safegaurd that's made for dogs?
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/