bedding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

span870

bedding

Post by span870 »

Researched some but I have a question. I use straw now but am out and can't find any. I see a lot of guys suggest hay. Mainly orchard grass. What I find here usually says mixed with some fescue. Is that okay?

mjd

Re: bedding

Post by mjd »

Straw got hard to come by around here to so i started picking up blankets at yard sells and using them the last few years

Crow

Post by Crow »

I've been using regular hay for 3 years now. I like it a lot better than straw. Not nearly as much dust and doesn't break down nearly as quick. The blankets will work well but if you have a chewer then the risk of a dog swallowing a piece and suffering a bowel obstruction is a real danger.

mjd

Post by mjd »

Crow wrote:I've been using regular hay for 3 years now. I like it a lot better than straw. Not nearly as much dust and doesn't break down nearly as quick. The blankets will work well but if you have a chewer then the risk of a dog swallowing a piece and suffering a bowel obstruction is a real danger.
Then they will learn not to chew

Crow

Post by Crow »

mjd wrote:
Crow wrote:I've been using regular hay for 3 years now. I like it a lot better than straw. Not nearly as much dust and doesn't break down nearly as quick. The blankets will work well but if you have a chewer then the risk of a dog swallowing a piece and suffering a bowel obstruction is a real danger.
Then they will learn not to chew
Lol yeah, they won't chew again for sure.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have been using burlap bags and then when they get wet from tracking in and out I switch them out to dry with some pieces of carpeting that fit into the plastic barrels. my dogs have made it just fine through these past two days of temps with wind chill down to -25. When I feed they get their rations soaked in hot water. I have found over the years with both straw and hay they track the dampness in on it and then it freezes in these frigid temps to the point I could hardly get it out. The burlap and the carpet will shred if chewed as well so they may get a lesson for being dumb and eating their bedding. I've only had problems with pups chewing but pups will chew on anything including the plastic 55 gal. drum! By-the-way I'm not recommending it just sayin what has and is working for me.