~~More Coyote Relocation pics~~

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

johns03272008

~~More Coyote Relocation pics~~

Post by johns03272008 »

Was able to relocate 2 more today with the best hunting partner daddy could ask for!!!!!, dogs did a great job today and scenting was head high and dogs where rolling!!!!

John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

kwolf

Re: ~~More Coyote Relocation pics~~

Post by kwolf »

Great job!!! Are you getting shots on these yotes or do the dogs just run them down, any way to reduce these critters is good with me.

tom young

Post by tom young »

I bet the ones that live when they hear any kind of dogs bark will leave the county. :lol:

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

kwolf wrote:Great job!!! Are you getting shots on these yotes or do the dogs just run them down, any way to reduce these critters is good with me.
Both of these today the dogs ran down after some good running and the 1st one they killed on their own by the time I got to them and the 2nd one was Bayed up next to a fence and the dogs couldn't get good angles so I had my buddy finish it off with a shot just so we could move on, they would have eventually done the job but didn't want a dog getting chewed up since we where right there
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

tom young wrote:I bet the ones that live when they hear any kind of dogs bark will leave the county. :lol:

I wish I could help out more beaglers by clearing out there running spots but coyotes cover so much ground. I have ran some out of people's spots so next time their beagles open up on a rabbit that coyote will think 2 about coming in on them especially if it didn't get killed and the dogs where close to it!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

msc4570

Post by msc4570 »

Nice job. Young man looks like he was having a ball.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Congrats on the coyotes awesome job. Its a sport that is near and dear to my heart. Not trying to tell you your business but please use discretion about posting bayup pictures on public sites. Us houndsmen continue to take a beating with anti's and others and they often surf these sites for these photos to beat us over the head with later. Good luck running the rest of the year and keep knocking them down!!!!
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

SMITTY1233 wrote:Congrats on the coyotes awesome job. Its a sport that is near and dear to my heart. Not trying to tell you your business but please use discretion about posting bayup pictures on public sites. Us houndsmen continue to take a beating with anti's and others and they often surf these sites for these photos to beat us over the head with later. Good luck running the rest of the year and keep knocking them down!!!!
Completely understand about the anti's and yuppie tree huggers but they will photo shop stuff too just to have something, I will fight tooth and nail to keep dog running alive but we as hunters and humans need to stop being scared to post the things we enjoy, that's why we lose so much anyways because we let others dictate how we act or what we do. As most people on the beagle board know I speak my mind and say what I think is right no matter what. I'm not one to hide just because a anti doesn't like what I do or someone doesn't like it, next thing hunters will do is hide the rabbits and coyotes in the truck so we don't offend or give a picture to the anti's. I'm not gonna post any of my videos of the dogs going at it with the coyote on here though. If someone wants to see that they can text me.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Our passion for hounds and distain for Anti's sound similar. I completely understand your desire to share that passion with other houndsmen however I still contend this does nothing to help our cause. You have to look no further than the wolf hunt in MI to understand we are fighting a losing battle and we don't need to add any unnecessary fuel to the fire. Again good luck hope you kill them all and its your discretion to post what you wish. Happy Hounding!!
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey John
Was curious as to how long an average run on your coyotes last before they quit running and bay-up? I know that it probably differs with individual coyotes and how much pressure the hounds are able to put on them and if you have aggressive catch dogs.
When I lived over in middle Tn.there was a 200 acre fox/coyote pen right behind my house and a 125 acre pen down across the soybean field a 1/4 mile away.Sometimes I'd go hang out with the fox hunters and listen to the hounds run at night.
They had both fox and coyote in the pens and they would often make the comment that they'd much rather run a red fox than the coyotes.They claimed that the coyote was only good for 3-4 hours before he'd quit and bay-up or climb a leaning tree to get away from the hounds but a red fox would literally run all night long.
I know that this was pen running and not the same as in the wild and would guess there's some differences.
Curious as to your experiences?
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:Hey John
Was curious as to how long an average run on your coyotes last before they quit running and bay-up? I know that it probably differs with individual coyotes and how much pressure the hounds are able to put on them and if you have aggressive catch dogs.
When I lived over in middle Tn.there was a 200 acre fox/coyote pen right behind my house and a 125 acre pen down across the soybean field a 1/4 mile away.Sometimes I'd go hang out with the fox hunters and listen to the hounds run at night.
They had both fox and coyote in the pens and they would often make the comment that they'd much rather run a red fox than the coyotes.They claimed that the coyote was only good for 3-4 hours before he'd quit and bay-up or climb a leaning tree to get away from the hounds but a red fox would literally run all night long.
I know that this was pen running and not the same as in the wild and would guess there's some differences.
Curious as to your experiences?

You are correct it all depends on the coyote and the pen owners are correct a fox will run and run and run, I have ran them in a pen in ohio before and 3-4 hours way about all we got and the coyotes all seemed to disappear and hole up. Some races the coyote will turn as soon as the dogs get somewhat close and some coyotes will run just fast enough to stay in front of the dogs, some coyotes will straight leave out. These 2 coyotes the dogs caught the dogs ran them a total of 27 miles together. Some will run less and some will keep running if they are in good enough shape to stay in front of the dogs. The older ones tend to run longer and the younger ones tend to want to turn and fight sooner.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

do u have much trouble w land owners when dogs cross property lines ? ive ran coyote dogs w friends for a few years and coyotes down in southern ohio have ran 2-3 miles in one direction before even remotely considering to turn. we tried to stay in the big gov grounds or in areas we knew most of the land owners to avoid issues

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

Great job the only good coyote is a dead one

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

bluecollar beagler wrote:do u have much trouble w land owners when dogs cross property lines ? ive ran coyote dogs w friends for a few years and coyotes down in southern ohio have ran 2-3 miles in one direction before even remotely considering to turn. we tried to stay in the big gov grounds or in areas we knew most of the land owners to avoid issues

We have a few land owners that own 5 acres that dont like us and think they own the 100'S around that. We have about 10 guys in our group and 5 are farmers that farm alot of the county and know the rest of the farmers so we have alot of property to run on that we haVe permission but do have a select few areas people won't let us and only 1 or 2 people that like to cause trouble. We try to cut dogs off to keep off property we don't hhave permission.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Permission is key to coyote hunting. You need bigger tracts of land. When pressured coyotes will do some dumb dumb stuff. Under decks, porches, trailers, cars you name it. its a sport where PR is very important. I'm in the insurance industry and I know most of the locals and they know me. I'm also a varsity basketball coach in the little town we run in. We have very few problems but there is always a few that create havoc for us. I'd say we have 5-10 guys on the weekends and have 8 dogs in our main group. Ran beagles since before I could walk. Owned them my entire life and still do. They don't get out of the pen to much anymore unfortunately this coyote hunting is so addicting. Just a lot of BS that goes with it too!!

Here is a little of our relocating work in MI...

SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353